Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 06:34 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There are not "food deserts" in cities. Cities have the highest poverty rate.
There are food deserts in Baltimore. It's a problem. The grocery stores can't turn a profit, mainly because of the anti-business policies inflicted by the liberals, so they leave and nobody takes their place. So urban populations who can't drive find themselves living off of fast food, 7-11 and Royal Farms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 06:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Today, at about 1:30 PM I went to the grocery store. In line in front of me there was a family with one small kid strapped in a seat in the grocery cart and one walking along side. They bought eighty some dollars worth of food and paid all but five dollars by food stamps and the five by debit card. The mother had two tone hair that had highlighting and long painted fingernails. OK; many are doing that today I thought. But as I walked out I watched as they loaded up their brand new crew cab.

I just don't understand why our government gives to people that make the wrong decisions in life? I also do not understand why we loan people money for expensive vehicles that are on food stamps? I know that you cannot buy a car for $25 like I did when I first bought a car; but $50K+ vehicles is a little over the top.
How do you know how they paid? You stood so close to them that you saw them push EBT on the keypad?

Then you were so appalled that you followed them out to a brand new crew cab?

Do you think we're all BooBoo the Fool?

Old 07-09-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
There are food deserts in Baltimore. It's a problem. The grocery stores can't turn a profit, mainly because of the anti-business policies inflicted by the liberals, so they leave and nobody takes their place. So urban populations who can't drive find themselves living off of fast food, 7-11 and Royal Farms.
What liberal anti business policies? You mean the same policies that every other successful business follows and manages to turn a profit?

Old 07-09-2017, 06:41 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What liberal anti business policies? You mean the same policies that every other successful business follows and manages to turn a profit?
Well, here the main culprits are the inflated Baltimore City property taxes, the soda tax, the plastic bag tax. All liberal ideas. At least our liberals were smart enough to reject a $15 minimum wage, so it could be worse.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's not about having NO grocery stores. It's an issue of having ENOUGH grocery stores. If you live on the Southwest side of Detroit in the Boynton neighborhood, it does you little good that there's a viable grocery store in the Hamtramck or New Center section of town. Those places are miles away. If you don't have a car, you really wanna tote your 10 bags of groceries home on the city bus?

You can go to a closer area like Lincoln Park or Southgate, but again, that's not easy without your own car. You'll need at least one bus transfer.

In the Phoenix area, many suburbs are short of grocery stores within a reasonable distance. It's hotter than hell outside, so if you're poor and lack decent transportation, you've got a real problem. Let's say that the grocery store is only 3 or 4 miles away and you can walk...you want your meat or mayonnaise to be out in 100 degree temperatures for a few hours?

Come on...use your head here.
I looked on the map and there are plenty of grocery stores in the areas you talk about.

Again, you expect there to be stores that are tens of thousands of square feet in size within a short walking distance of everyone?

Old 07-09-2017, 06:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Maybe sixty, seventy years ago there was a fresh produce store on every corner, but not now.

There are farmers' markets in upscale parts of some cities. Certainly not in the poorer sections. What person on limited budget can afford $3/tomato or $5/basket of blackberries?
But they are organic.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:54 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I looked, there are plenty of grocery stores in Baltimore. What do you expect, one on every corner?

Old 07-09-2017, 06:58 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Which major cities do not have grocery stores? Name some please.
Kansas City and St. Louis Mo for two. In the inner city, you can go miles and see nothing but gas stations with the stuff they sell, a few convenience stores and a few ethnic markets. There are no large grocery stores. And the stuff in those are outrageously priced. You can buy some fresh produce in the 7-11s and Quik trip, if you can afford to give $2 for a very small tomato.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Today, at about 1:30 PM I went to the grocery store. In line in front of me there was a family with one small kid strapped in a seat in the grocery cart and one walking along side. They bought eighty some dollars worth of food and paid all but five dollars by food stamps and the five by debit card. The mother had two tone hair that had highlighting and long painted fingernails. OK; many are doing that today I thought. But as I walked out I watched as they loaded up their brand new crew cab.

I just don't understand why our government gives to people that make the wrong decisions in life? I also do not understand why we loan people money for expensive vehicles that are on food stamps? I know that you cannot buy a car for $25 like I did when I first bought a car; but $50K+ vehicles is a little over the top.
You saw a family using food stamps?

There's no longer stamps that can be used to buy qualifying food. It's a debit card and requires a PIN

You forgot to mention their grocery cart was full of lobster.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I looked on the map and there are plenty of grocery stores in the areas you talk about.

Again, you expect there to be stores that are tens of thousands of square feet in size within a short walking distance of everyone?
No, there aren't. You'd better find another map or learn to read one.

What's the closest grocery store to Boynton?

And I already told you, I don't expect anything. I'm not gonna answer that question again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies