U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:52 PM

242 posts, read 108,394 times

Advertisements

Lordy, I've been following this mess of yours for the past two years at least. What can I say, it's been deja vu all over. Plenty of deja vues. It brought me back to my ex country, ex Yugoslavia, all the way back to the late 80s.

Every single $#!+ on the following list is the $#!+ we witnessed in the Balkans. So, here you go:

- Removing/destroying/graffiti spraying monuments that one side sees as a source of pride and the other as offensive reminders of opression CHECK

- fun with flags - but not Sheldon Cooper style, unfortunately, also fun with holidays - some celebrate with fireworks, some not so eagerly and some say it's not my holiday at all, yeah, big CHECK

- individuals being killed and their death being reported and interpreted in two opposite versions CHECK

- two totally opposed interpretations of the same event/video/speech/you name it, and it goes on and on for weeks CHECK

- increased level of accusing other site that their news/videos/other are fake and/or taken out of context CHECK

- blocking roads CHECK

- honest attempts to critically assess both oposing camps, or to direct some criticism towards their own side get too small audience CHECK

- careers being destroyed over one sentence CHECK,

- while mentally deranged individuals get a platform and plenty of audience CHECK

- assassination attempts directed towards politicians CHECK

- killing police officers CHECK

- celebrities being loud and stupid on politics CHECK

- inability to have a reasonably civilised discussion on politics within many families CHECK

- extremists gloating, bloating and saying “bring it on“ CHECK (as a rule, the same geniuses are clueless about what they are inviting)

- unscrupulous profiteers trying to profit from increased conflict and general insecurity CHECK

- strange alliances (what-are-these-doing-together type of stuff) CHECK

- an overwhelming feeling it's never been ugly like this CHECK

Do you want to know what comes next? Or do you REALLY want to know what comes next?

Last edited by switchtoecig; 07-09-2017 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:57 PM

7,177 posts, read 3,866,252 times
I honestly don't understand why the Right thinks protests equal the deterioration of society. Other developed nations have major protests all the time, and sometimes they turn violent. Only the authoritarian right thinks protesters should be stopped.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:05 PM

9,041 posts, read 2,713,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
Lordy, I've been following this mess of yours for the past two years at least. What can I say, it's been deja vu all over. Plenty of deja vues. It brought me back to my ex country, ex Yugoslavia, all the way back to the late 80s.

Every single $#!+ on the following list is the $#!+ we witnessed in the Balkans. So, here you go:

- Removing/destroying/graffiti spraying monuments that one side sees as a source of pride and the other as offensive reminders of opression CHECK

- fun with flags - but not Sheldon Cooper style, unfortunately, also fun with holidays - some celebrate with fireworks, some not so eagerly and some say it's not my holiday at all, yeah, big CHECK

- individuals being killed and their death being reported and interpreted in two opposite versions CHECK

- two totally opposed interpretations of the same event/video/speech/you name it, and it goes on and on for weeks CHECK

- increased level of accusing other site that their news/videos/other are fake and/or taken out of context CHECK

- blocking roads CHECK

- honest attempts to critically assess both oposing camps, or to direct some criticism towards their own side get too small audience CHECK

- careers being destroyed over one sentence CHECK,

- while mentally deranged individuals get a platform and plenty of audience CHECK

- assassination attempts directed towards politicians CHECK

- killing police officers CHECK

- celebrities being loud and stupid on politics CHECK

- inability to have a reasonably civilised discussion on politics within many families CHECK

- extremists gloating, bloating and saying “bring it on“ CHECK (as a rule, the same geniuses are clueless about what they are inviting)

- unscrupulous profiteers trying to profit from increased conflict and general insecurity CHECK

- strange alliances (what-are-these-doing-together type of stuff) CHECK

- an overwhelming feeling it's never been ugly like this CHECK

Do you want to know what comes next? Or do you REALLY want to know what comes next?
pretty sure you are talking about Yugoslavia and its break up. I dont think we are even vaguely close to anything approaching that. And if we were i'd be more worried about Nukes getting into the wrong hands and ending the world than ethnic cleansing .

Old 07-09-2017, 06:07 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,101,322 times
OP, totally not relevant at all. Sorry.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:23 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Deal in reality, this country is very balkanized and it will only get worse.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I honestly don't understand why the Right thinks protests equal the deterioration of society. Other developed nations have major protests all the time, and sometimes they turn violent. Only the authoritarian right thinks protesters should be stopped.
I don't know what the Right thinks, but for me, protests (and counterprotests) are more like a mirror to the society.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP, totally not relevant at all. Sorry.
No need for you to be sorry.
Much more need for you to be right (It may be your skin after all. Not mine. )

Old 07-09-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
pretty sure you are talking about Yugoslavia and its break up. I dont think we are even vaguely close to anything approaching that. And if we were i'd be more worried about Nukes getting into the wrong hands and ending the world than ethnic cleansing .
Let me make one thing clear: I truly wish you would be right. (Not about nukes but about "not being vaguely close to approaching ethnic cleansing" and other horrors.) For the sake of all you over there and for the sake of the world which would be hit indirectly.

re nukes: I didn't even give that much thought, but if a situation gets massively unstable, such development wouldn't be impossible.

Last edited by switchtoecig; 07-09-2017 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: quotation marks

Old 07-09-2017, 07:36 PM

7,148 posts, read 1,642,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
I don't know what the Right thinks, but for me, protests (and counterprotests) are more like a mirror to the society.
Protests are as American as apple pie.

We have been at it for 24 decades. It is part of the genius of this country.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:40 PM

15,351 posts, read 8,020,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Deal in reality, this country is very balkanized and it will only get worse.
That's my opinion as well. Liberals want to criminalize thoughts and speech and that is the basis of our freedoms so I don't see this ending well. Liberals are having difficulty in becoming tyrannical because of the 2nd amendment rights....when they get rid of that, the next step is the end of the 1st amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies