Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:26 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
So you're asking unarmed EMT's to do it? Makes sense .
Nope. I'm asking EMTS and LEOs not to respond.

Junkies made their bed. They can lay in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 11:27 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I know what you mean. It just seems unfair that there is a quick fix available to someone with an overdose that they did to themselves, but so many other unfortunate medical emergencies have no quick fix or no fix at all. Lucky junkie, the policeman can save you with one stick of a needle so you don't die this time.
That is just the unfortunate medical reality. Doesn't mean you stop saving people when you have the means and ability to.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:29 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Nope. I'm asking EMTS and LEOs not to respond.

Junkies made their bed. They can lay in it.
Again, slippery slope.

Are you the type of person to drive past a car accident because you assume they asked for it because they passed you 10 miles back?

Besides the fact that many of these "junkies" started on legally prescribed medication. Are you going to go after the source?

Get off your high horse.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
It's not that the police are saving the life of a drug addict, but if you're going to require them to carry life saving drugs for an addict why not epi pens for kids with allergies, or nitro for someone in cardiac distress, or glucose tablets for diabetics?

Old 07-10-2017, 11:40 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
It's not that the police are saving the life of a drug addict, but if you're going to require them to carry life saving drugs for an addict why not epi pens for kids with allergies, or nitro for someone in cardiac distress, or glucose tablets for diabetics?
Do they not already? If not I would say that it would be a good idea for cops to carry life saving medication for the most common things they are likely to encounter. Especially seeing as how cops would often be the first one on the scene. I would think it would be a great idea for them to have a kit with nitro/narcan/epi pen/insulin/adrenaline/defibrilators and more in the trunk of their car.

But first, you need to establish that they do not have access to epi pens/etc which thus far I have not seen anyone do. I don't understand why this has to be viewed as a zero sum game.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:41 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Again, slippery slope.

Are you the type of person to drive past a car accident because you assume they asked for it because they passed you 10 miles back?

Besides the fact that many of these "junkies" started on legally prescribed medication. Are you going to go after the source?

Get off your high horse.
LOL you can't equate someone who passed you on the highway to a junkie.
No way does that make any remote sense in reality. Maybe in a liberal utopia it does...

Won't make a bit of difference if it's pills, heroin, alcohol.
They made a clear conscious decision to partake. They have no excuse. They can say no to any substance.

Makes no bit of difference what the substance is. You can say no. I have. I was given prescriptions for pain meds, ask what they are, nope. No thanks. If Tylenol or advil doesn't work I don't want it.

Once was administered morphine never again. How the hell someone can get hooked on morphine... Oh that was horrible... tingly burning sensation, feeling like you just drank a handle of whiskey, weak and disorientated cotton mouth afterwards... Nope. F that.

I'll take the pain, not the pain killers. F that. Pain is temporary and can be ignored. Being incapacitated or limited by a substances effect is not fun. It's why I limit myself when I do drink. Hangovers aren't fun. Neither is loss of balance dizziness room spinning. Hate that crap.

What the medical field ought to do, is less narcotics for pain management for surgery and more nerve blocks. That would stop the opioid abuse Riki Tik

Old 07-10-2017, 11:53 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I'd say that was a rightful protest letter. Do you honestly believe he believes they would pay for them? If you say yes then you would be as nutty as you believe he is.

Now, back to the actual topic.

THAT'S RIDICULOUS!

Did the guy check his brains at the door? Let's see... officers carry an inexpensive overdose counteractive (there's no such thing as a drug antidote) or they don't and people die for no apparent reason? Hmmm Let me ponder thi.... NO you stupid idiot, carry the drugs!

Damn people everywhere are losing their frikkin minds!

Screw the Philippines (not really), how about simply doing the right thing?
Uh, the reason is that they took took too much of an illegal substance. And if it happens frequently, and they care to live, they can carry the kit themselves?

My brother is a paramedic, and he says at least 25% of their calls are to the same few drug addicts that get the drug over and over. Who pays for that drug? The taxpayer. Does the drug addict care? No. My brother agrees that the first time you do get the drug because mistakes happen. After that, it's a case of being too stupid to live.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:06 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I bet you would feel differently if one of these addicts were your brother or sister. We forget that these people are just that, people. They are someone's dad, mom, sister, brother, friend, etc. Yes, they have a horrible addiction, and may never be clean again, but we are humans and so are they, so we have to at least be compassionate and TRY to save them, if possible.

"But for the grace of God go I". Not being addicted myself, it is hard to understand how they got this way, but that doesn't mean I just want to see all of them die for their mistakes.
Then let their families pay for the cost of the drug, over and over and over again, if it's that important to them. Or is it only compassionate if it's somebody else's money?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:10 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Say that when your son, or daughter, or mate, or lifelong friend is on the slab. With no tears.
I did say that when my brother was on the morgue after he drank himself to death. No tears.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:12 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Don't worry, T, no one expected you to show any humanity.
You pay for it then.

I would step over them and keep walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies