Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:33 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Actually it is.

For those who honestly believe that a few minutes making a difference to life or death, that addicts contribute nothing (Andy Warhole, Prince, Cobain, Osbourne, Tennessee Williams, Dick, Stevenson), then head right on being ignorant of facts.

Even the lowest life deserves some minimum respect, otherwise we will have lost our humanity.
Exactly. In addition to the artists you mentioned, a lot of addicts are vets. We praise them to high heaven when they are serving and then call them dead weight not deserving of our concern once they are of no more use to us.

Addiction is a medical problem. We need to start seeing it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I'm not religious. Once again, **** those people. Let them die.
Say that when your son, or daughter, or mate, or lifelong friend is on the slab. With no tears.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:39 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Sheriff won't let his deputies carry overdose antidote - ABC News

We need to follow the Philippines lead. We waste so many resources on these parasites, ambulances, ER, prisons, police, crime, gibs etc. just put them out of their misery. I don't think ambulances should respond after the first overdose. Buy your own narcan if you want to revived and get your drug buddy to administer it.
I've lived in the Philippines, and I don't think you know what you're talking about.

The Iron Rule is "You can't do just one thing." The political and economic situation in the Philippines results in a number of consequences, that being one, and there being a whole lot more than I'll bet you wouldn't like. But they're all connected and you can't get just one of them, you get the entire bunch.

So if you want to give the police that measure of autonomy, then the next thing is that the cop who stops you at a roadblock takes a general "The law is what I say it is at any given moment" attitude: "How much money do you have? Hand it over."

Been there, seen that.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:41 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
A little harsh.

I would be more in favor of scooping up the homeless and evaluating them and putting them somewhere out of danger separate from society. If they are chronic alcoholics, give them the booze they need, same goes for drugs. But keep them away from society where they can harm others and be harmed by others.
I would be more in favor of grinding these people up into dog food.

Enough of this reverse evolution BS. If we don't allow the heard to thin itself out, we're going to end up just like the movie idiocracy. Just think of how many retarded kids these addicts pump out before the finally take themselves out of the gene pool. Why interview in the process.

Let them go one and done I say.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:44 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Say that when your son, or daughter, or mate, or lifelong friend is on the slab. With no tears.
I have. It's sad, but it's for the better. It's sorta like putting a vicious animal down. Even if it's not their fault, it's for the better.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The police are supposed to protect us and save our lives. Even if that means saving us from ourselves and our worst habits.

This Sheriff should be an undertaker, not a cop. That profession seems to fit his mental attitude much better than police work. It is not up to him to decide who is to live or die, no matter what he thinks.

I don't do drugs. But I know fine people who have done them in the past, and a few who still do them.

Losing some to drugs has been painful for me, and the loss has been disastrous to those they leave behind. No person deserves the death of a child to drugs, and no child deserves the loss of a parent to drugs, period.

If the cops have the ability to save a life, they are compelled to do it.

The deputies who serve under that clot would save life, if given the means. They must all carry heavy burdens that should have never been theirs to bear.
then lets do this, make every LEO an EMT as well. are you willing to pay for the training and equipment these people will need? we are talking about also making every current paramedic a LEO and giving them arrest powers and a gun as well. again are you willing to pay for all that training?
are you that willing to give up your fourth amendment rights when ever you have to call an EMT? remember that because once you give the LEOs EMT powers, and EMTs LEO powers, if you have a medical emergency in your home, they can then LEGALLY search your home for any possible contraband, or possible evidence of a crime.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:51 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I bet you would feel differently if one of these addicts were your brother or sister. We forget that these people are just that, people. They are someone's dad, mom, sister, brother, friend, etc. Yes, they have a horrible addiction, and may never be clean again, but we are humans and so are they, so we have to at least be compassionate and TRY to save them, if possible.

"But for the grace of God go I". Not being addicted myself, it is hard to understand how they got this way, but that doesn't mean I just want to see all of them die for their mistakes.
Nope.

Had a scumbag cousin with a drug problem. I never attended his wake or funeral. Good riddance scumbag. The lies, the manipulation, the stealing, the pain, anguish he put others through. Never mind the physical and emotional abuse he committed. Nope. May he rot in hell.
Still not on good terms with his parents because I told them how it was. They enabled the prick out of weak emotion, and shame on them, they made the bed they can lay in it!

If they had balls the father would have beat the snot out of him. His mother wouldn't have funneled money to him. His threats would have fallen on deaf ears and been met with a good old fashion azz whipping from dad.

Both his parents were passive wimps.

At Least their daughters didn't turn out like them or their scumbag son.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:58 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
I assume cops stop to ask what a choking victim has been eating before he determines whether he finds that food morally appropriate for human consumption before providing his tax payer funded life-saving training. Or inquires about a person's diet before commencing CPR on a heart attack victim. Or maybe she stops to research an accident victim's driving record to determine if they're worthy of her assistance by never having received a traffic ticket.

Otherwise, this is a very dangerous slippery slope.

The lack of humanity that appears to be growing in America is truly astounding and incredibly sad.

To claim that resuscitated OD victims may become violent so it's better to leave it to EMT's is extreme cowardice. Aren't these men and women supposed to be the bravest among us? If they're not equipped to handle an angry or disoriented person with the training and equipment they have available (you know, restraints) then why are they asking an EMT to do it?

Old 07-10-2017, 11:00 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
then lets do this, make every LEO an EMT as well. are you willing to pay for the training and equipment these people will need? we are talking about also making every current paramedic a LEO and giving them arrest powers and a gun as well. again are you willing to pay for all that training?
are you that willing to give up your fourth amendment rights when ever you have to call an EMT? remember that because once you give the LEOs EMT powers, and EMTs LEO powers, if you have a medical emergency in your home, they can then LEGALLY search your home for any possible contraband, or possible evidence of a crime.
Nope. Because you look at NY and MA. They can show up to the scene and cannot make arrests.

I dont want to see a LEO charged for medical malpractice. It's not their duty or responsibility.

why should police be responsible for a junkie? Let the junkies thin themselves out. Problem partially solved, give police the authority to make arrests at the scene of an OD.
Want to give said junkie rehab? Nah. Make them pay for it. No 90 day BS either. Put them on a labor camp not a pass to methadone clinics either. Complete detox where their labor pays for their treatment, housing, food, and clothing.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Nope.

Had a scumbag cousin with a drug problem. I never attended his wake or funeral. Good riddance scumbag. The lies, the manipulation, the stealing, the pain, anguish he put others through. Never mind the physical and emotional abuse he committed. Nope. May he rot in hell.
Still not on good terms with his parents because I told them how it was. They enabled the prick out of weak emotion, and shame on them, they made the bed they can lay in it!

If they had balls the father would have beat the snot out of him. His mother wouldn't have funneled money to him. His threats would have fallen on deaf ears and been met with a good old fashion azz whipping from dad.

Both his parents were passive wimps.

At Least their daughters didn't turn out like them or their scumbag son.
A good old fashioned azz whipping cures addiction? Well who knew?

How come the daughters did not become addicts? Did dad beat their butts?

Codependency is as problematic as addiction. It does not however, cause addiction.

Addiction tends to destroy families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies