Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 02:15 AM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times

Advertisements

I'm a conservative Republican who has worn Donald Trump shirts and Confederate flag baseball caps out to eat. Though unlike the Republicans from the Northeast mentioned in the articles, I am from the South. And I typically tip 20%. Sometimes more if this a cute waitress. Now would that be sexist?????

Also many liberals/Democrats tend to fall in 2 groups. One is the liberal yuppies who had everything handed to them by their parents, including their white upper middle class guilt. They've never had to work their way through college or had to have a job in high school or whatever. Then you have the welfare crowd from the ghetto who have never worked and are used to getting free money from the government. And illegal aliens who don't understand tipping or anything else about America except how to get food stamps and Medicaid.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:19 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,508 times
I don't like tipping culture.

It should be the employer's responsibility to ensure their employees are paid a decent wage. The customer should not be expected to cover what the employer should.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:23 AM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times
WIth how Southerners are "less generous" with tipping, as someone who lives here, the stats are dragged down by black Democrats.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:32 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Republic men especially conservative men are the most generous regarding tipping . Im not surprised democrats in general probably want a free lunch.

A new study on tipping shows whether you have good gratuity etiquette
In my bar/waiting experience, this is true but doesn't tell the whole story. IN GENERAL:

Guys in trades: often R and often excellent tippers and respect hard work.
Guys in suites: when they are R, they skimp big time. Little respect or regard for those "beneath them."
Black people are well known to be the worst tippers and are mostly D.
Elderly often skimp on tips too.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:38 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Back when I delivered pizzas, I once delivered to a state representative (R). His wife paid me with a check for the exact amount ($4.25 for a small one-item pizza) with no tip. Also I once delivered to a state representative (D) who paid with cash rounded up to the next dollar and "keep the change" which was about 30 cents.

I'm guessing that what you describe suggests a partisan divide in the perception of scarcity, which deserves more and better research.
Wasn't that like 30+ years ago? When prices and salaries were lower?

Old 07-11-2017, 06:40 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,948,629 times
Didn't need the study to know that Democrats are lousy cheapskates. First, that was absolutely my experience when I was waiting tables and bartending. Second, it's common knowledge that they are generous only with OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY, and not their own.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Uh huh. So, you asked your customers what political affiliation they were?
You don't have to ask the majority of women if they are women. Generally speaking, the only group of diners worse at tipping than women are black people.

As a waiter, you hear conversations. You hear people talk about things that clue you into their political leanings a fair amount of times, especially when it was groups of people without kids.

When it's a corporate credit card, that can sometimes clue you in as well. Whenever I received a corporate card from someone in the oil business, I knew I was in for a good tip, usually around 25%.

I can only assume you are either not very observant or can't add up the clues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am amazed that there might be someone out there that doesn't know this.
Some people are much more observant and/or able to put together "puzzles" than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
I don't like tipping culture.

It should be the employer's responsibility to ensure their employees are paid a decent wage. The customer should not be expected to cover what the employer should.
So, you'd prefer to pay for service at a set rate regardless of how good that service was?

As a waiter, I preferred tips, because a restaurant wouldn't pay me $25 an hour if they paid me direct.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Wasn't that like 30+ years ago? When prices and salaries were lower?

That is correct.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:05 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My friend waited tables when he was in college; he said the best tippers are men with dates.

He said older folks tend to be the worst tippers. He also talked a lot about "race", (which is super funny), but I don't want to turn it into a race thread.
I will and it has to do with the article. Blacks have been called out for not tipping well. But it's not the black men who are the bad tippers, it's the black women.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:08 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You don't have to ask the majority of women if they are women. Generally speaking, the only group of diners worse at tipping than women are black people.

As a waiter, you hear conversations. You hear people talk about things that clue you into their political leanings a fair amount of times, especially when it was groups of people without kids.

When it's a corporate credit card, that can sometimes clue you in as well. Whenever I received a corporate card from someone in the oil business, I knew I was in for a good tip, usually around 25%.

I can only assume you are either not very observant or can't add up the clues.

Some people are much more observant and/or able to put together "puzzles" than others.

So, you'd prefer to pay for service at a set rate regardless of how good that service was?

As a waiter, I preferred tips, because a restaurant wouldn't pay me $25 an hour if they paid me direct.
Most people are not like you, they have no clue which party someone belongs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.