Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:21 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I support freedom. No one should be criminalized for using marijuana. It's ridiculous.

I could possibly support restricting marijuana usage to the privacy of ones own home and inside of certain businesses, but that's as anti-freedom as I would get.
I support freedom, too. For everyone who has not broken the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 09:23 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Or when rents increase 6.2% in Colorado while going up 3.0% nationally.
So the rent goes from $1000 to $1062, and this causes homelessness?

Old 07-11-2017, 09:26 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
"May have" is someone being unbiased.

Being biased would be a definite.

Why are you nit picking.
Can you not have a meaningful discussion?

Sorry, I don't believe possibly, maybe, could bes are very meaningful.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:32 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
So the rent goes from $1000 to $1062, and this causes homelessness?

For 11 million American renters, rent consumes at least half their income. For those people ON THE ECONOMIC MARGIN, that $67 a month can indeed be the tipping point to homelessness. It can also be the tipping point to other financial calamities e.g. a rent increase that makes health insurance unaffordable which in turn leads to health issues which can impair income. I was financially destroyed by an extended hospitalization and the inability to work for a year. Living on the margin is kinda like treading water - hard to sustain for an extended period of time.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:44 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I support freedom, too. For everyone who has not broken the law.

I'm not comfortable with a legal system which allows a majority to impose its substance preferences on everyone without clear and convincing medical evidence to do so.

e.g. I'm not comfortable with the legal disparities between weed and alcohol when there does not appear to be convincing evidence that weed is more dangerous than alcohol. On what valid basis is the (il)legality of various substances a popularity contest? Tobacco and alcohol are legal but weed is not because more people historically have used tobacco and alcohol? And that's okay?

Old 07-11-2017, 09:49 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, I have in Oklahoma City. There you'll find at least one homeless person sleeping under the underpass at the corner of I-44 and Pennsylvania when he's not holding a sign begging. Who knows how many underpasses have homeless people there.
One, lol. Drive I25 in Colorado and come back and tell me Colorado doesn't have a homeless problem. They aren't just in Denver, they are in the smaller towns too. Even on the western slope, places like Durango are having problems. Rent may be to high, but I noticed an influx after legalization.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:03 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Well, maybe the best alternative is to legalize it everywhere and then you don't have people moving to the legal states. If you're stupid enough to move to Colorado without a means to support yourself, you're probably young or mentally ill so just legalize it and stay in your mom's basement.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:05 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Horsefeathers! The lines I put in bold print are the major reason for the growth of homelessness in Denver and Colorado Springs. In 2011, the average price for an apartment in Denver was $801.00. Now in 2017, that same apartment would rent for $1413.00. That's an increase of $600/mo in only six years. Some people's wages have not kept up with the skyrocketing cost of housing - especially in Colorado's major cities. The economy here is booming and Colorado has been viewed as a desirable place to live for some time now - even BEFORE marijuana was legalized in this state. BTW, 7 other states have also legalized recreational marijuana and that number is only going to grow. So, while legal pot may be one factor as to why so many people are moving here, it's far from the only one. And the spiraling cost of housing is the number one factor in people becoming homeless in my state.

Fox hates the idea that a blue state is doing so well, so it cherry picks the data to show how horrible it is to live here. I notice that the "Chalet Bed and Breakfast," referenced above is situated east of the state capitol building. That neighborhood which also includes the infamous East Colfax Avenue area, has been run down and a bad choice of a place to live in Denver since at least the 80's if not before. I'm not surprised in the least that the idiots who decided to run a B & B in that part of town are seeing sights that offend their delicate eyes. Should have put up the cash and started their biz in Cherry Creek or a neighborhood like it. But, of course, Fox is NEVER going to tell its viewers these things and regular Fox viewers have turned into zombies who can only mouth the party line.

So yeah, it's hell in Colorado these days with the streets of every city and town choked with homeless pot users. Better stay in your nice, safe (if run down) red states if you know what's good for you. Fox has spoken.
You could be right, partially right, or incorrect.
Could you show some real data and expertise studies on what you say.

A lot of places have experienced housing booms from now until centuries back.
Did they have the homeless created because of it?

Not that I recall ever learning or reading about.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
The whole "Colorado legalizing marijuana increased homeless problems" has been debunked several times.

Even SAM and prohibitionist groups based IN Colorado have stopped pushing this false narrative.
Got the literature to back up your fact?
It sounds like you are stating it as a fact.
Maybe it is just your opinion which is fine, but to state an opinion as fact...

Last edited by Atalanta; 07-11-2017 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh yeah, they are making loads of money for their state!! How about that.
Off the backs of addicts and or pot smokers.
Dirty money, greedy money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies