Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it treason to collude with a foreign power to undermine and influence a US election?
YES 34 79.07%
NO 9 20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:15 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why does a foreign power being involved make it worse than say....

Donna Brazil giving debate questions to team Hillary in advance?

Or the DNC colluding to sand bag Bernie Sanders and favor Hillary?

Are these things not more palpable (and provable) than any collusion with Russia?

Why are Dems so obsessed with Russia while ignoring their own party's interference in the election?
Oh, FatBob, FatBob, FatBob. >>sigh<<

Brazil giving Clinton debate questions is nothing to be proud of. Couple lost their jobs over that. I'm not sure what else you wanted the DNC to do. If there had been a crime committed, you could bet Republicans would have been all over it.

In any case, doesn't hold a candle to the Trump family coordinating the campaign with the Kremlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 09:15 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times
Quote:

Are these things not more palpable (and provable) than any collusion with Russia?

Why are Dems so obsessed with Russia while ignoring their own party's interference in the election?
Working the system at home, corruption even, is not the same as working with an adversarial foreign power against your own people and government.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:16 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Anyone who says no to this needs to be deported.

We know for a fact had Clinton done this, all the Trump supporters would have said this is absolutely illegal and treasonous. Such pathetic hypocrites.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:24 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
What idiot voted no to this?
I voted No and I am strongly in favor of Trump's impeachment or forced resignation. Treason is either helping the enemy during war or trying to overthrow the government. Assuming proof of Trump conspiring with Russia is found, he wasn't trying to overthrow the government, he was using illegally obtained information to help himself win.

Stealing private computer data is a felony. If Trump or his associates conspired to distribute Hillary's private e-mails through WikiLeaks then they are guilty of being accomplices to a felony. That's an impeachable offense.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:26 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I voted No and I am strongly in favor of Trump's impeachment or forced resignation. Treason is either helping the enemy during war or trying to overthrow the government. Assuming proof of Trump conspiring with Russia is found, he wasn't trying to overthrow the government, he was using illegally obtained information to help himself win.
Unless he's trying to hand over the government to Russia, which is essentially overthrowing a Democratic elected government to be controlled by a foreign enemy. And it depends on how we're going to define war in the modern era. It's unlikely we'll ever boots on the ground in a war with Russia, yet with modern technology cyber war fare, is as or more dangerous than a physical war.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Unless he's trying to hand over the government to Russia, which is essentially overthrowing a Democratic elected government to be controlled by a foreign enemy. And it depends on how we're going to define war in the modern era. It's unlikely we'll ever boots on the ground in a war with Russia, yet with modern technology cyber war fare, is as or more dangerous than a physical war.
Nailed it.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
...Treason is either helping the enemy during war or trying to overthrow the government. Assuming proof of Trump conspiring with Russia is found, he wasn't trying to overthrow the government, he was using illegally obtained information to help himself win.
The Kremlin was working to overthrow our elections, and install a puppet in the WH.

Anyone conspiring with the Kremlin to do that committed treason.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,781 times
Quote:
[/b]

Interference in an election is interference in an election.

But apparently the Left doesn't mind so much when they're the ones doing the interfering.
I don't hear anyone from any of the groups I've listed making any claims to what you are pointing out. I've also mentioned (R) in the list. Instead of the right always harping about what the left is doing why isn't the right building their own case for all the illegal dirt that left is doing and has done? I've yet to see a parallel argument from the right with anyone on the left as the focal point. When the left did their dirt they paid "dearly" for it. The right has dirt and people want it to be ignored!

Old 07-11-2017, 10:00 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Do you think it is treasonous for Americans (such as those associated with Donald Trump) to contact (phone or email) or meet with foreign powers (Like Russia) in order to collude in an effort to undermine and influence US domestic elections (such as the 2016 Presidential Election)?
I don't see where Russia influenced or undermined the Elections.

I do see where Guccifer 2.0 from Romania hacked the DNC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The United States Constitution (Article 3, Section3) specifically defines treason as "giving aid and comfort to an enemy in time of war"; obviously, that is not the case here. The lunatic fringe on both sides of our present polarization reveals itself a little more with every passing day.
Good point.

The Liberals are still in denial that they lost.

Quote:

Excellent point.

What do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassins?

What the DNC did was deplorable and fortunately they got caught.

Quote:
I did.

I cannot find any legislation declaring war on Russia.

Quote:
Interference in an election is interference in an election.
Yes, it is, and interference in elections has been taking place here in the US for decades.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The United States Constitution (Article 3, Section3) specifically defines treason as "giving aid and comfort to an enemy in time of war"; obviously, that is not the case here. The lunatic fringe on both sides of our present polarization reveals itself a little more with every passing day.
This is the right place to look. However, I don't think it is "obviously . . . not the case here."

The Constitutional language: "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court."

We have to answer three questions first: 1) is cyberwar a war within the meaning of Article 3, Section 3? 2) Was/is Russia engaged in a cyberwar against the United States? 3) Is Don Jr.'s conduct (or other yet to be disclosed conduct) "giving aid and comfort" to an enemy?

#1 is a legal question that, to my knowledge, has never been broached by US courts. #2 is a fact question. #3 is both a legal and a fact question.

Quote:

Of course it's treason. That's not an issue of debate.

I assume the person voting no was a Trump supporters who's so committed to the Cult that they just assume the need to disagree with this. Seriously, this is getting out a hand. It's treason to collude with a foreign government to influence election, regardless of Trump doing it. In the same way, murder is illegal regardless of you or I being murderers.
Believe me when I say: little would please me more than Trump Jr. & Sr. ending the Administration in federal prison orange. But it's a tough case to make that this was treason. It is still almost certainly against the law, and I suspect it is criminal conduct. But it's probably not treason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It is not a matter of what people think. It either is or is not by LAW. And, as I understand it, by law it is treason to collude with a foreign power to influence an election.
Treason in the US demands war. Are we (or were we) in a cyberwar with Russia? Does that count?

Quote:

Stealing private computer data is a felony. If Trump or his associates conspired to distribute Hillary's private e-mails through WikiLeaks then they are guilty of being accomplices to a felony. That's an impeachable offense.
This seems like the most correct reasoning to me. I'm not sure that trying to overthrow the government can get you to treason. Somebody tries to lawfully overthrow the government every four years. Overthrowing the government by levying war against it: that is treason. Cyberwar? I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies