Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 10:46 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
If the window tint was dark, the officer wouldn't have known the driver was Black. Isn't that what this is really about?

Great post !

Old 07-12-2017, 10:47 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
So what's the narrative here. Police aren't allowed to pull over blacks or they can't pull over an SA?

Old 07-12-2017, 10:47 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I see cops not use their turn signals or roll through stops on multiple occasions.

I once had an acquaintance claim that a cop pulled him over for not using his turn signal - gave him a ticket and then as the cop pulled away first made a turn without using his turn signal.

As I commute into work, I've had on a couple occasions a cop follow me too closely while I did about 3 to 5 mph over in the right-slow lane, before passing me.

They are generally good people doing a tough job, but it is easy to get frustrated with them at times.
When I was growing up in the boonies there was a cop that was notorious for tailgating people at night on backroads with his brights on so that you couldn't tell what was behind you, trying to get people to speed up enough to pull them over. Locally it was well known that he would do this in certain areas.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:05 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Another cry of racism.
Getting pathetic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That is really pathetic.
Just sickening.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:22 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You know, if it weren't for her injuries and the distress she undoubtedly felt and still feels, this would actually be funny. I think the reporter made his feelings known -

"A black 19-year-old girl was punched in the mouth by an officer, bitten by a police K9 and arrested last month after an officer said he mistook her for a 180-pound bald man suspected of threatening people with a machete at a nearby grocery store."

I mean, how can a cop say with a straight face that he mistook her for a bald man??? I'd be too damned embarrassed to open my mouth were I him.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
But the vast majority just want to do their job the best they can, and are honorable and hard working servants of the public. Step away from your computer and go on a ride along one day. You will have your eyes opened.
Not only are you not being honestly objective because you are a cops wife, but anyone who has their eyes opened about the institution of policing wont believe a word you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
She looks like she has a huge chip on her shoulder. I wish we had a state attorney who was more supportive of the police. She needs to get over herself, I'm a white male and I've been pulled over for no reason also.
If you were pulled over for no reason and think that is ok, you are the main reason for the police problem.

A state attorney knows how flawed the system is, the system already supports the police. The government laws only benefit the government and no one else, people dont seem to understand that. We need more people like her that are going to use their position to keep the police accountable and in check. That is very rare. This bogus stop is a great reason for her to stay her path. Also I'm pretty sure that a person that reaches her level in government knows the difference between paranoia and profiling. If she says it's profiling, she is the one that is checking the cops, in pretty certain she knows what she is talking about.
What amazes me is the irony of people that don't want to hear about profiling, yet the main reasons they back the police is to keep brown people away, using profiling as one of the tools. So when profiling actually happens, they don't care to believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

1) why did the cops decide to run that particular plate?

2) if the cops didn't have a tint reader, should they have pulled her over because the tints "looked dark?"

3) are plates not coming back with any information reason enough to pull someone over in Orlando/Florida?

In any event, kudos to all parties involved for not escalating matters.
1.) They run plates all the time, although they arent supposed to run plates until they see an actual violation. Part of the persistent "above the law" environment. Also they are instructed to fish for arrests. They come up with several reasons to pad their arrest records, they want promotions. There's a lot of people driving on the road illegally, In the meantime, many innocent civilians are casualties to this type of enforcement, and people that don't understand how bad the system really is, are heavy supporters until it happens to them. This is why some police escalate the situation so quickly (besides ego) they need arrests to move up the ladder.

2.) Its Florida, tint that isnt limo is the norm down there because....its f'in hot. So for them to pull over someone for tint is bogus, its legal.

3.) This was the real bogus excuse to pull her over. Theres no way their system is that unreliable that it wouldnt come back with info on her plate. It was a reason to fish. Orlando is one of the many towns in Florida with rampant corruption, and no one is checking it.

I dont believe it was racial profiling if her windows were up. You can tell how much the cops were lying by their horrid explanations.

Last edited by Harry Hemi; 07-12-2017 at 12:12 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 11:26 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You know, if it weren't for her injuries and the distress she undoubtedly felt and still feels, this would actually be funny. I think the reporter made his feelings known -

"A black 19-year-old girl was punched in the mouth by an officer, bitten by a police K9 and arrested last month after an officer said he mistook her for a 180-pound bald man suspected of threatening people with a machete at a nearby grocery store."

I mean, how can a cop say with a straight face that he mistook her for a bald man??? I'd be too damned embarrassed to open my mouth were I him.
Goes on to prove that some cops are stupid and will lie to cover their rear.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:01 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
She looks like she has a huge chip on her shoulder. I wish we had a state attorney who was more supportive of the police. She needs to get over herself, I'm a white male and I've been pulled over for no reason also.
How does she have a huge chip on her shoulder? What exactly did she do other than comply? Or it is that you are bothered by the fact that she occupies a state attorney position? SMH.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:12 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I see cops not use their turn signals or roll through stops on multiple occasions.

I once had an acquaintance claim that a cop pulled him over for not using his turn signal - gave him a ticket and then as the cop pulled away first made a turn without using his turn signal.

As I commute into work, I've had on a couple occasions a cop follow me too closely while I did about 3 to 5 mph over in the right-slow lane, before passing me.

They are generally good people doing a tough job, but it is easy to get frustrated with them at times.

This has been a big complaint of mine for years. Whether I'm in my town or in Chicago, they do not use their turn signals. EVER. They all think they're above the damn law.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:16 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
So what if it's the states only black attorney? They have to obey the law just like any other person and a good cop is not going to give a damn who gets a ticket for breaking the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies