Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:55 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times

Advertisements

It says it's only for people who don't have previous convictions but the vast majority of first time drug arrests get pleaded down to misdemeanors anyway.
Seems like it may just be a way to minimize the strain on the courts/public defenders office and/or the expense of a criminal lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 08:58 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am not agreeing with this. A certain volume indicates intent to distribute. Drug pushers should have the book thrown at them.
We've tried that! For the last 40 years in fact! It's called "The War on Drugs".

And I bet if you or I either one wanted to go out and get some heroin or meth, we could do it. In other words, after 40 years, trillions of dollars, and tens of thousands of lives lost (including law enforcement personnel), we still have easy access to illegal drugs. The War isn't working. It never has.

Isn't it time to try another method? Other countries have, and it is working!

After all, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of, well, you know...

Old 07-12-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
You fail to see the problem here ?

You're putting innocent people in jeopardy because most drug users. especially herion users will do anything they can to get another fix.

You're basically giving them them a loaded gun.

So by your assumption we should just give everyone the day they're born a gun and IF they kill someone or commit a crime then they should be punished?
They don't get desperate if they have somewhere to go to get that fix, along with treatment. Please check out the results of decriminalizing in Portugal. As it turns out, it works MUCH better to treat this problem in the health care system, not the criminal justice system.

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is a horrible analogy. Your neighbor's heroin can't kill anyone who doesn't do heroin. The same can't be said of her gun.
No, it's not. Guess you've never heard of a HIV infected needle left lying around for some kid to find in their front yard.

How do you think the Junkies come up with the money for all that H? They rob and steal, often with a gun.

And BTW I support decriminalization of all drugs.

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
We've tried that! For the last 40 years in fact! It's called "The War on Drugs".

And I bet if you or I either one wanted to go out and get some heroin or meth, we could do it. In other words, after 40 years, trillions of dollars, and tens of thousands of lives lost (including law enforcement personnel), we still have easy access to illegal drugs. The War isn't working. It never has.

Isn't it time to try another method? Other countries have, and it is working!
Great! This has not been a real area of priority for me, I confess, since it does not affect mine. I am totally down with users being treated rather than incarcerated. If you are willing to help me understand alternatives to handling distributors I would be grateful.

Quote:
After all, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of, well, you know...
Don't you know it.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:04 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
My sister lives in Southern Oregon. It's such a beautiful place, but so full of depressing scenes. The almost-death of the timber industry has hurt these folks so damn bad. There's a couple generations just drifting through life in towns like Winston and Roseburg and Grants Pass. Drug abuse, particularly meth, is rampant. I see scores of unemployed people spending their days just walking around there. There is little hope or opportunity for these people right now. It's quite sad. Their city and county budgets have been cut so severely that they have few services to offer, and their police forces are pathetically stretched to the limit. They are in crisis mode.

I support the decriminalization. The police need to gather their meager resources and devote it to managing violent crimes and other victim-involved crime occurring there. Drug addicts are soaking up too much of the police's time. It's time to turn efforts elsewhere and see if quality of life can be improved from a different angle.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Great! This has not been a real area of priority for me, I confess, since it does not affect mine. I am totally down with users being treated rather than incarcerated. If you are willing to help me understand alternatives to handling distributors I would be grateful.
Look at it this way. We don't have to handle illegal distributors of alcohol or tobacco products by building huge prison complexes to do it, right? Sure, there are a few law breakers here and there, but nothing that can't be handled by normal jail cells and normal sentences. That is because there is no profit in distributing alcohol or tobacco products because they are legal, regulated, and taxed. Once the proper tax point is found that system will work for legal cannabis also, after it gets legalized at the federal level.

But hard drugs are different. The models that are working in other countries allow things like heroin to be available only at government owned and run institutions. It's not a free-for-all, and treatment is available there. But there are also no desperate users on the street committing crimes to get a fix, and no dealers there to supply that fix. The result is the number of deaths caused by heroin overdose in Portugal is lower than anywhere else in Europe, and lower by a long shot compared to the USA.

https://mic.com/articles/120403/14-y...ked#.uwf8Y4cLH

Old 07-12-2017, 09:15 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
If Rick James was alive he would be moving to Oregon.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:11 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Good. Maybe all the druggies will go there.
They are already there....

Old 07-12-2017, 10:11 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
You're putting innocent people in jeopardy because most drug users. especially herion users will do anything they can to get another fix.
Yep, that is how freedom works.

Do you want:

Perfect security/safety from any thing bad that may happen
or
Freedom

Pick one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies