Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 10:20 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
You fail to see the problem here ?

You're putting innocent people in jeopardy because most drug users. especially herion users will do anything they can to get another fix.

You're basically giving them them a loaded gun.

So by your assumption we should just give everyone the day they're born a gun and IF they kill someone or commit a crime then they should be punished?
I live near a heroin infested town and the crime is mostly theft. The junkies aren't committing violent crime against the normal citizens. There are some junkie on junkie assaults but the idea that they will kill you to get a fix is exaggerated. Heroin is a relatively cheap addiction so it's more of an endless cycle of trying to get $50/day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 10:21 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Yep, that is how freedom works.

Do you want:

Perfect security/safety from any thing bad that may happen
or
Freedom

Pick one.
Nope. Sensible balance.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:23 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I live near a heroin infested town and the crime is mostly theft. The junkies aren't committing violent crime against the normal citizens. There are some junkie on junkie assaults but the idea that they will kill you to get a fix is exaggerated. Heroin is a relatively cheap addiction so it's more of an endless cycle of trying to get $50/day.
My oldest brother has been on Heroin for about 15 years. It all started with aback injury he had at work. They gave him pain pills and it went down hill from there. He began stealing from our family. Pawning everything. He eventually went to Prison. He came out clean. I gave him a job working for my business I own. Within 5 months he was back on it again.

We tried everything to get him help. He just doesn't want it. Some of these people just don't want to quit.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:26 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Nobody should be criminalized for possession of legally acquired items.

Nobody should be criminalized for victimless crime.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:32 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
And nobody should have to pay for your choice to do drugs either. You OD, oh well.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:33 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
My oldest brother has been on Heroin for about 15 years. It all started with aback injury he had at work. They gave him pain pills and it went down hill from there. He began stealing from our family. Pawning everything. He eventually went to Prison. He came out clean. I gave him a job working for my business I own. Within 5 months he was back on it again.

We tried everything to get him help. He just doesn't want it. Some of these people just don't want to quit.
Yeah, the majority spend a year or so just stealing from family or easy targets (unlocked cars, bikes, unattended purses, etc) before they start with the burglary. I agree that it's a big problem and I can't believe that heroin is so demystified bc in my day, it was like "I do X,Y,Z but I'd never do heroin".
I wouldn't want to be a victim of property theft but the vast majority of heroin users I've encountered don't seem to be inclined towards violence. They usually have the old my car broke/out of gas story and they are sick/weak looking opposed to meth/coke users who I find much more dangerous.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:42 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Oregon’s state legislature just reduced penalties for drug possession in a bill also intended to reduce racial profiling by law enforcement agencies.

H.B. 2355 passed both the House and Senate last week and reduces possession of illegal drugs to misdemeanors rather than felonies as long as the person in possession does not have prior drug convictions. According to a press release issued on July 7 by Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum, the bill provides for “the reduction of penalties for lower level drug offenders. The bill also reduces the maximum penalty for Class A misdemeanors by one day to avoid mandatory deportation for misdemeanants.”

Oregon to Reduce Heroin, Meth, Other Hard Drug Possession Convictions

https://www.mintpressnews.com/oregon...n-more/229648/

I wonder how this is going to work out
Bus drug addicts to Oregon. They have no problem with killing babies, either.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
A lot of them end up killing themselves. I lost a friend to it 20 years ago.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:17 PM

19,634 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Yeah, the majority spend a year or so just stealing from family or easy targets (unlocked cars, bikes, unattended purses, etc) before they start with the burglary. I agree that it's a big problem and I can't believe that heroin is so demystified bc in my day, it was like "I do X,Y,Z but I'd never do heroin".
I wouldn't want to be a victim of property theft but the vast majority of heroin users I've encountered don't seem to be inclined towards violence. They usually have the old my car broke/out of gas story and they are sick/weak looking opposed to meth/coke users who I find much more dangerous.
I'd rather not take my chances being around people so desperate that they are willing to die for the drug. Which all heroin users risk every time they shoot up. If they don't care about their own lives why should they care about anyone else's. Junkies kill people by getting other people to try the stuff, they love having company in their addiction and lifestyle.

I am surprised how normal some heroin addicts actually look. One I know was a body builder. Last week I got the old gas station beggar, but he looked like a regular guy and his story was incredibly elaborate.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:34 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Like Marijuana in Colorado I think all of these drugs should be legal. they, like alcohol in New Hampshire, should be sold in government operated stores. One advantage of this system is the users get what they want instead of something called Heroine mixed with rat poison or other adulterant. The profits should be used to provide treatment for the individuals that want to quit and funerals for those that don't.

This is much more sensible than the idiocy of our version of Prohibition. that absurd program only made the smugglers wealthy just as the drug sellers are made wealthy by our current version of prohibition. Eliminate the tariffs and you eliminate the smuggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies