Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 10:26 AM

66 posts, read 40,145 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to share this. He speaks from the heart.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=jHkC6UJlIaY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 04:32 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Nice try, but no cigar. Last I checked, comparing liberals to slave owners is one of the most disingenuous arguments I've seen. Anyone who knows about the way the slave system and politics worked in those would know that 19th century liberals were more likely to be the abolitionists.

And that whole "planatation" argument implies that Blacks are somehow too dumb to know what their interests are. Anyone who wants to claim that "liberals are the true racists" are not doing a good job. All I'm seeing is some Republicans making the same "Blacks need to be guided because they're too dumb to know who to vote for" that they accuse Democrats of doing. Nice try. Rather than try that "plantation" argument, ask yourself this. Why do you care who Blacks vote for?

Old 07-12-2017, 04:45 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
A self-reliant individual -- of any background -- is an individual who can't be as readily conned into an "easy answer" or a thinly-disguised "bribe" in the political power game. And the establishment (of both major parties) wants to keep all of us scared, and more easily led. What has been practiced with AA's by both parties was practiced with other ethnic groups, but a combination of easier recognition and three centuries of subjugation makes the mold harder to break. One in a while someone like Thomas Sowell comes along, but the long standing alliance between the civil rights movement and the collection of aging radicals who hijacked the Democratic Party want nothing of that sort of thinking, because it would weaken a power-structure which operates in the interest of the AA component within the Democratic coalition.

The civil rights movement has always downplayed the efforts of those within the black community who remain socially conservative; yet it was those same individuals, often operating within a church, or in related functions (undertakers and insurance merchants, for example), who in an earlier day laid the foundation for the first phases of entrepreneurship within a small community. This point will, of course, be quickly dismissed by those whose only interest lies in keeping all of us more dependent upon Big Brother/Sister. It's a long way uphill, but a break-up of a coalition of special interests who have little interest in anything but power is an important step.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-12-2017 at 05:30 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A self-reliant individual -- of any background -- is an individual who can't be as easily conned into an "easy answer" or a thinly-disguised "bribe" in the political power game. And the establishment (of both parties) wants to keep all of us scared, and more easily led.
The thing is, most people need somebody. I will admit that I need someone. I will work hard when given that opportunity.

I will say this, there are those who claim Blacks vote Democrat for the "bennies" or "hand outs". Most Blacks work, so "hand outs" are just a cop out.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:57 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Get off the statist plantation.

Practice agorism.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Original View Post
LOL And what have Republicans done for him? I will wait.
Ill ask the same question. I do not look down on Black people who have conservative views or who voted Republican. I do, however, have a problem with people who look at Blacks who vote Democrat as "being on the plantation". I have an issue with those who make it their business to say "you should vote Republican". I have had this happen to me. I've had people who wanted to talk politics with me, and tried to nudge me to vote Republican, as if their lives depended on it. To me, this whole "plantation" thing reeks of that. Some persons who claim "Democrats and liberals are the true racists" will be the very persons who make comments like "plantation" or subtle comments insinuating that Blacks are too stupid to know who to vote for.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:27 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
I spent my formative years in a community that was less than 2% black, but had a large Italian/Slavic community, perhaps 1/3 of the population, and during the community's years of rapid expansion (roughly 1900-1915) they too were segregated on "one side of the mill" (and along with the AA's, were stuck in the most menial work).

World War II brought another surge of activity -- but everyone knew that it would be back to the same old grind after hostilities ceased. So most of the local blacks borrowed a strategy from their brothers and sisters in the Deep South, and migrated en masse to jobs in Chicago. A few stayed, and they have a record of high achievement, mostly via employment elsewhere, or the military. Some newer families also began to relocate after 1980, but the path there has been somewhat rougher -- more run-ins with the law and the local power-structure.

I wish I could offer a better explanation for the point that the experience of global conflict served to reduce the gaps between white ethnic groups, but not between the races. But it's important to note that the segregated military was still around in 1945.

The only "consolation" I can offer here is that the number of us, of all backgrounds, who recognize that you can't get away from paternalism until you have something to lose continues to grow. But the peddlers of false security have another model in mind.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-12-2017 at 05:55 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 05:30 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
Quote:
A self-reliant individual -- of any background -- is an individual who can't be as readily conned into an "easy answer" or a thinly-disguised "bribe" in the political power game. And the establishment (of both major parties) wants to keep all of us scared, and more easily led.
Well said.
Quote:
Once in a while someone like Thomas Sowell comes along...

Old 07-12-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I spent my formative years in a community that was less than 2% black, but had a large Italian/Slavic community, perhaps about 1/3 of the population, and during the community's years of rapid expansion (roughly 1900-1915) they too were segregated on "one side of the mill" (and along with the AA's. were stuck in the most menial work).

World War II brought another surge of activity -- but everyone knew that it would be back to the same old grind after hostilities ceased. So most of the local blacks borrowed a strategy from their brothers and sisters in the Deep South, and migrated en masse to jobs in Chicago. A few stayed, and they have a record of achievement, mostly via employment elsewhere, or the military. Some newer families also began to relocate after 1980, but the path there has been somewhat rougher -- more run-ins with the law and the local power-structure.

The only "consolation" I can offer here is that the number of us, of all backgrounds, who recognize that you can't get away from paternalism until you have something to lose continues to grow. But the peddlers of false security have another model in mind.
I automatically thought of my own family odyssey. My father is a born and raised Milwaukee native. His parents were among those African-Americans who left the South after WWII. There was no reason to stay in the South, especially in places like Mississippi.

I suspect you're from Northeast Pennsylvania. Part of me has wondered why more Blacks didn't move to that part of Pennsylvania, given the coal mining and steel mills in that area. I wonder if said African-Americans you speak of went to Pittsburgh and Philadelphia as well. Both are in PA and both are closer than Chicago is.

As for my grandparents, it wasn't just something to lose. They were sharecroppers in the South. They were in the land of Jim Crow. They were living at the very bottom. It was having something to gain. "Paternalism" keep them poor in the South. Rather than "paternalism" it was more like fear that kept some people in sharecropping. What is more interesting is this. Once cotton farming became more mechanized, those who were sharecroppers soon found themselves redundant to the land owners. People
like my grandparents had no choice but to go elsewhere.

As for my father, he grew up during the 60s and early 70s. The industrial machine was going into a decline/changes around the time he finished high school. He got his college diploma(and later a masters degree). He left Milwaukee during the 1980s. He had to learn that nothing was guaranteed.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
African Americans will do and vote for whoever the hell we want to and we're not taking suggestions to do otherwise at this time or any other time.

Moreover, your black in-house lackeys ain't very convincing, so save it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies