U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Machine Gun Resistry be opened to include Machine Guns manufactured after May 1986
Yes the Machine Gun Resistry should be opened up to Machines made after May of 1986. 30 75.00%
No the Machine Gun Resistry should be remain closed Machines made after May of 1986. 7 17.50%
Yes But at an addition cost of say $1000 2 5.00%
Don't care either way. 3 7.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 10:02 PM

5,994 posts, read 2,781,729 times

Advertisements

For fun;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yp9v_h_dpo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 10:05 PM

2,970 posts, read 545,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
As indicated Suppressors should be completely removed from the National Firearms Act, and NO one yet has posted a valid reason that the Machine Gun Registry should remain closed.
You should have a disclaimer. Post only relevant legitimate facts not irrational fear or incessant illogical foolish reasons.

I wasn't in Florida when they made it a stand your ground state. The neighbors tell me that the dems/liberals went nuts with claims like it would be the wild west and there would be gun fights on every street. Never happened.

The last time we had a thread on suppressors and it got closed... but it shouldn't have been. Can't have a discussion without knowledge present...
There were a few people who legitimately asked questions/couldn't understand the reasoning to making them legal and then there were those with irrational fears.
This one's gotta stay open.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You mean in this country. Ironically libs in other countries support suppressors for health and environmental reasons.
The trouble is that uniformed/ignorant/naive people believe the Hollywood depiction of suppressors being "silencers" that allow people to run around shooting people with nary a peep from the gun.
In reality, suppressors only reduce the noise of a firearm by approximately 30db, and that is not a lot with most guns that can produce 140db's.

Go to the range and you can feel actual pain (despite wearing quality or even double hearing protection) when certain calibers are being fired. Needless to say some countries require suppressor to protect peoples hearings, and noise pollution in the environment.

Watch this video at 2:17 and see that so called silencers are no such things. Sure an unsuppressed gun will be louder, but a suppressed gun is hardly "silenced" like in the Hollywood fake depictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5MrC68udj8

Here's a better one, 45 is subsonic to begin with. 9mm on the other hand...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eYJkfw...ature=youtu.be

Bad guys get suppressors? Good. Have to unbutton your pants to dig it out. Makes the weapon filthy and jam. Requires more cleaning intervals...

Old 07-12-2017, 10:17 PM

762 posts, read 447,271 times
Quote:
As indicated Suppressors should be completely removed from the National Firearms Act, and NO one yet has posted a valid reason that the Machine Gun Registry should remain closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You should have a disclaimer. Post only relevant legitimate facts not irrational fear or incessant illogical foolish reasons.

I wasn't in Florida when they made it a stand your ground state. The neighbors tell me that the dems/liberals went nuts with claims like it would be the wild west and there would be gun fights on every street. Never happened.

The last time we had a thread on suppressors and it got closed... but it shouldn't have been. Can't have a discussion without knowledge present...
There were a few people who legitimately asked questions/couldn't understand the reasoning to making them legal and then there were those with irrational fears.
This one's gotta stay open.
I hope so, I would not mind a intelligent discussion about the merits, or possible the lack of merits in opening the Machine Gun Registry. I know some will oppose it based on the fact, that their $15,000 dollar and up Machine Gun could be worth less than $3K all total. But again at this point I would not consider price to be a valid point. Given the number of Gun in this country, and given the number of Machines Guns that are in the registry; it is not a very large percentage are eligible Machine Guns.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I hope so, I would not mind a intelligent discussion about the merits, or possible the lack of merits in opening the Machine Gun Registry. I know some will oppose it based on the fact, that their $15,000 dollar and up Machine Gun could be worth less than $3K all total. But again at this point I would not consider price to be a valid point. Given the number of Gun in this country, and given the number of Machines Guns that are in the registry; it is not a very large percentage are eligible Machine Guns.
I've watched a program once where they take and burn surplus ammo, crush/cut up service rifles... made me sick to my stomach... never mind what they do with old military trucks humvees and tanks...

So wasteful to let all that go to waste
I'd drive to the local base and buy a crate full of retired M60s M4s M16s. Don't want them? Fine! I'll take them off your hands for a grand or 2 if you throw a couple thousand rounds in... I'd pay 4500/5500 for a humvee for a daily driver. As long as I could still buy hubs and stuff for it. Run it until the engine goes and duramax swap it. Could even be the pickup truck style one or a regular 4 door or slant back I don't care. I want one. But I'm not spending 20-30k for one. 4500-5k absolutely! That's a fair price considering you're buying something that was whooped on.

As for the wealthy, well I guess we're social justice warriors. There's a select minority who are privileged to own such weapons and can afford them

Old 07-13-2017, 01:36 PM

Safe to say machine guns registry should be opened...

Old 07-13-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Safe to say machine guns registry should be opened...

So far 10 people agree with you and me, 1.) did not care, and 1.) though it should be opened with an additional expense. And only 1 person so far does not think the Machine Gun Registry should be opened up to guns made after May of 1986. But no explanation was given.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 PM

So the poll totals have gone up a little bit, most are still in favor of opening up the Machine Gun registry, 2 people are not. But no one has indicated why the would have voted no.

I would still like to hear valid arguments the NO reasons. I am not saying it would change my mind, but I do like getting a different point of view.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:18 PM

29,349 posts, read 28,275,652 times
What the hell is wrong with you people? Why does anyone need a machine gun?

Old 07-13-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What the hell is wrong with you people? Why does anyone need a machine gun?

I just posted in another thread it is not about need, It is about want.

At this point in time Machine Guns are perfectly legal, provided that you obtain the Federal Tax stamp, able to afford the ridiculous price of a Machine Gun, in most cases above $15,000 dollars or more. You have the FBI, your State Police, and Finally your Local Police sign off on the fact you have a Machine Gun.

Most avid collectors would love to have a Machine Gun, I know I would, I can't not only afford to buy one, but I could not afford to shot it much if I did buy a Machine Gun.

If a person can own a rifle, what is the problem with them owning a Machine Gun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies