U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Machine Gun Resistry be opened to include Machine Guns manufactured after May 1986
Yes the Machine Gun Resistry should be opened up to Machines made after May of 1986. 29 76.32%
No the Machine Gun Resistry should be remain closed Machines made after May of 1986. 6 15.79%
Yes But at an addition cost of say $1000 2 5.26%
Don't care either way. 3 7.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 03:06 PM

7,681 posts, read 2,781,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I never disputed the fact the owning a fully Automatic rifle required special permits. I am not even indicated that those special permits be abolished, which I think they should be. This thread is about should the Machine Gun Registry, which is currently closed to any civilian ownership of a Machine Gun made after May of 1986, and to own one is illegal. Be opened to allow more modern Machine Guns to be purchased by civilians.
You may have a point, the few that own them is a very small number. I never like going full auto, which is waste of AMMO. 10 Minutes of full auto is good for me for a long time.

The Permit system has its positive and negatives. However Criminals seem not to care either way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 03:08 PM

744 posts, read 425,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i think they should all be made illegal

Why, do you have any legal or logical justification on why Machine Guns, which are already very heavily regulated, and in most cases unless you have allot of money most people can not afford a Machine Gun; on why it should be illegal?

Old 07-14-2017, 03:12 PM

20,245 posts, read 22,281,008 times
Quote:
Why
Because guns are too dangerous relative to their social utility.

I would leave room for a narrow range of 12 and 20-gauge shotguns, double barrel, for hunting birds and small game. Ban all machine guns, handguns, rifles.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
You may have a point, the few that own them is a very small number. I never like going full auto, which is waste of AMMO. 10 Minutes of full auto is good for me for a long time.

The Permit system has its positive and negatives. However Criminals seem not to care either way!
And any person who is either converting a semi-automatic to full-automatic, or obtaining the newer Machine Gun are the ones breaking the law.

But you are correct, the Criminals won't care either way. It is the person trying to stay within the law that get's penalized.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:18 PM

7,681 posts, read 2,781,640 times
Quote:
And any person who is either converting a semi-automatic to full-automatic, or obtaining the newer Machine Gun are the ones breaking the law.

But you are correct, the Criminals won't care either way. It is the person trying to stay within the law that get's penalized.
The other reason as far fetch it may be is if we were Invaded by the China on the West Coast. If you will a Red Dawn moment or if SA decided they are just going to overrun our Southern Boarder at any cost of life.

We are well aware of how SA would love to have open borders.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Status: "Trying to reason with morons... sucks!" (set 4 days ago)

13,172 posts, read 5,994,882 times
Quote:
Can someone explain the benefit of keeping the Machine Gun registry closed to machine guns manufactured after May of 1986, other than price.
It creates a finite amount of guns available which drives up the prices for collectors and dealers. Some light machine guns and full auto rifles command prices starting at about 7-8k up to 6 figures. Keep in mind that full auto weapons have a fairly short lifespan of use.

It benefits the wealthy who can afford such luxuries.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:23 PM

2,252 posts, read 392,637 times
Quote:

I would leave room for a narrow range of 12 and 20-gauge shotguns, double barrel, for hunting birds and small game. Ban all machine guns, handguns, rifles.
Social utility-guns are not a social utility. I don't think you know what social utility means...

And shotguns are safer than rifles or pistols? I beg to differ.
1 12 gauge slug or even a 20 gauge slug or either with 00 shot will inflict worse damage than a 22 cal 5.56 or 30 cal rifle.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
i think they should all be made illegal

Quote:
Why, do you have any legal or logical justification on why Machine Guns, which are already very heavily regulated, and in most cases unless you have allot of money most people can not afford a Machine Gun; on why it should be illegal?

Quote:

All gun can be dangerous especially if misused, but we have this little thing called the Second Amendment, So you will not able get all guns rendered illegal, unless you can get 34 states and a constitutional convention to change the constitution.

It has been done to amend the constitution but the Second Amendment is going to be one of the hardest one to change.

And to further answer your quote of a Gun being too dangerous the gun by itself, it can do nothing on it's own, it always requires a person to pull the trigger.

And when a person go nuts and starts shooting people, it almost always is another person with a gun to stop them

Old 07-14-2017, 03:30 PM

20,245 posts, read 22,281,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
guns are not a social utility.
that's consistent with what i said.

Quote:
And shotguns are safer than rifles or pistols? I beg to differ.
1 12 gauge slug or even a 20 gauge slug or either with 00 shot will inflict worse damage than a 22 cal 5.56 or 30 cal rifle.
it's not about the damage, it's about only being able to fit 2 rounds into a double-barrel shotgun.

i'm on the fence about whether or not we should ban everything but birdshot.

Quote:
we have this little thing called the Second Amendment
yeah that oughta be repealed.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:39 PM

2,252 posts, read 392,637 times
Guns aren't dangerous at all.
Idiots are. That's a fair both sides of the aisle assessment can agree on.

See one thing that's fascinated me about dems and the left.
They go after inanimate objects all of the time, for its "dangerous". There are tons of laws on the book that if enforced and upheld in court, this wouldn't be an issue.

Fact is as legal gun ownership is on the rise, crime is on the decline.
Chart of the day: More guns, less gun violence between 1993 and 2013 • AEI | Carpe Diem Blog » AEIdeas

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe.../#56c883bd3f7c

Forbes is about as unbiased as it gets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies