Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:53 PM

428 posts, read 415,844 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, what is the *one* instance in memorable history that has contributed toward such a dramatic incline in political or cultural or racial divisiveness. Our younger son (middle school) has many questions regarding racism as he pays more attention to current events... He asked us how we perceive the increasing racial and political conflict, and even asked his grandmother what things were like when she was a young adult (MLK years)... Her answer was that she thinks things are worse for my and his and his older brothers generation in terms of the current "vibe" of lack of respect for diversity of thought for younger generations.

Can or would you put your finger on just one turning point?

I'm not sure what mine would be... Rodney King riots is probably what I would have said years ago, maybe, but things just seem to continue to deteriorate now week by week ("Can it get any worse?").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 11:54 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
In your opinion, what is the *one* instance in memorable history that has contributed toward such a dramatic incline in political or cultural or racial divisiveness. Our younger son (middle school) has many questions regarding racism as he pays more attention to current events... He asked us how we perceive the increasing racial and political conflict, and even asked his grandmother what things were like when she was a young adult (MLK years)... Her answer was that she thinks things are worse for my and his and his older brothers generation in terms of the current "vibe" of lack of respect for diversity of thought for younger generations.

I'm not sure what mine would be... Rodney King riots is probably what I would have said years ago, maybe, but things just seem to continue to deteriorate now week by week ("Can it get any worse?").
well...out here, as far as opinions go, i agree with Harry

..."opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one and most of them stink"...Inspector Harry Callahan, S.F.P.D.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:15 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,585,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post

I think the biggest turning-point in my memory, was when the Republican-stacked Supreme Court, selected George W. Bush to be president.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:17 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,644,356 times
No
There is no one point.

It started in the 60's and has been gaining ground and growing and changing. Now it's focus is SJW nonsense and the tentacles of Postmodernist philosophy invading all areas of society with the goal to bringing about the social and political revolution. Think of it as the bridge to hell. Better to learn about it and save your kids.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:46 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,585,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
No
There is no one point.

It started in the 60's and has been gaining ground and growing and changing. Now it's focus is SJW nonsense and the tentacles of Postmodernist philosophy invading all areas of society with the goal to bringing about the social and political revolution. Think of it as the bridge to hell. Better to learn about it and save your kids.

What started in the 60s, was a social and sexual revolution that freed many people from the repressions of the past. The widespread availability of birth-control pills, women's athletics being introduced into schools and making most jobs available to women, were some of the events that helped this happen. You apparently would like to revert to those dark ages before that. The only way anyone could prevent their kids from experiencing these freedoms, would be to keep them locked in a basement.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:49 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I think the biggest turning-point in my memory, was when the Republican-stacked Supreme Court, selected George W. Bush to be president.
lol - still living in that little bubble? GWB won Florida. Get over it.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:51 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
lol - still living in that little bubble? GWB won Florida. Get over it.
Yes he did and it cost 4,500 U.S. soldiers their lives. You got over that.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:53 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,042 times
I'd say the biggest turning point was when the Republican party finally stopped the evil democrat parties creation and endorsement of the KKK and freeing the slaves from the Democrat plantations

Old 07-13-2017, 02:53 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Yes he did and it cost 4,500 U.S. soldiers their lives. You got over that.
I know I did.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:19 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
What started in the 60s, was a social and sexual revolution that freed many people from the repressions of the past. The widespread availability of birth-control pills, women's athletics being introduced into schools and making most jobs available to women, were some of the events that helped this happen. You apparently would like to revert to those dark ages before that. The only way anyone could prevent their kids from experiencing these freedoms, would be to keep them locked in a basement.
Introduced?

There's a useful word!

Kinda like the way Marxists "introduced" economic reforms.

BTW, today, less than 1% of mechanics are female.

Guess they still don't make wrenches that fit girl's hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies