Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:42 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Going to trial isn't cheap, as seen in this case:

Court costs in Carnation murder case reach nearly $7 million | KOMO

Weigh the cost of going to trial vs keeping him in prison for life - and add the risk of a mistrial or an outcome in his favor, and life in prison seems a bit more palatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 07:48 AM

736 posts, read 353,500 times
He shouldn't get a quick and painless execution or life in prison. Unfortunate, that this country can't use cruel and unusual punishment.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:57 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
NJ makes deals like this all the time; PA is probably more reasonable about their deals. And I'm not talking about small-time drug cases either. NJ pleas out extremely violent criminals who end up having multiple arrests and convictions before killing someone. I remember the guy in the brutal "nanny cam" beating had dozens of arrests for extremely violent home invasions and beatings, and only served a few months each time. Despite what you might hear from amnesty international, the US is very soft on crime. In fact, they just picked up Cosmo's accomplice in these killings. He did two years for attempted murder of a teen in a brutal, random attack. The teen has permanent brain damage. Violent criminals should do decades in prison before the possibility of parole. In fact - despite the Left's droning on about "science" - the criminal justice and biological science tells us that the only thing that prevents violent criminals from re-offending is time in jail. And that's not because they get better in jail. It's simple brain science. As the brain matures and grows older impulsiveness and violent tendencies (generally) decline.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:01 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
First, I have not followed this story very closely so my guess was just that. The stories I read made it sound like the other bodies found with the one guy they were looking for were unrelated to that case. Also, in exchange for his deal he would "lead them to the other 3 missing men" which made it sound as if they had yet to be uncovered.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
wasn't his bail set at $5 million?
That was for a gun charge or something else, it never would have held. They might not of had the evidence to charge him with murder.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Confession, life no parole is going to be cheaper than the endless appeals and 2 decades or whatever it would take to push the death penalty.
In PA you are more likely to die of old age than to be put be death if you are on death row. On top of that the current governor would never sign the warrant.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
All of the above - plus, incentive for other accused folks to do the same.

If the evidence is mostly circumstantial or otherwise iffy and/or the defendant has a chance of getting off for other reasons - well, I think plea deals for a lesser sentence make sense, and if accused people know that it's been done for others, it gives them a reason to go for it themselves.

This particular sad soul needs to be not free, and whatever the best tactic is for getting that done is good by me.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:49 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
First, I have not followed this story very closely so my guess was just that. The stories I read made it sound like the other bodies found with the one guy they were looking for were unrelated to that case. Also, in exchange for his deal he would "lead them to the other 3 missing men" which made it sound as if they had yet to be uncovered.
fair enough. from what I read it made it sound like the other bodies found with the first were probably almost certainly the other 3 missing guys, but they wanted to say as little as possible until the IDs were confirmed. now there's a confession to go by.

Quote:
Just before 1 p.m., Bucks County prosecutors filed charges against Cosmo DiNardo and his cousin, Sean Kratz.

The charges against DiNardo include four counts each of homicide, robbery, abuse of corpse and conspiracy, court records show. Kratz is charged similarly in three of the killings.

In affidavits from the Bucks County prosecutor’s office and a press conference Friday afternoon, District Attorney Matthew Weintraub described the harrowing slayings of the four men and the feverish hunt for their bodies.

According to court documents, both DiNardo and Kratz gave statements to police corroborating the slayings. All four men were shot — one on July 5 and three on July 7th. DiNardo said he tried to burn the three bodies, putting them in a metal tank he referred to as the “pig roaster,” pouring gas into it and lighting a fire. He then buried the tank using a backhoe in a 12-foot hole. The first body was buried in a separate grave, only 6 feet deep.
Latest on Bucks slayings: Cousins DiNardo, Kratz charged with homicide

Old 07-14-2017, 01:35 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
Quote:
fair enough. from what I read it made it sound like the other bodies found with the first were probably almost certainly the other 3 missing guys, but they wanted to say as little as possible until the IDs were confirmed. now there's a confession to go by.

Latest on Bucks slayings: Cousins DiNardo, Kratz charged with homicide
Thanks, now that makes more sense.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:00 PM

526 posts, read 386,257 times
Sometimes it's not just about those Doritos and Mt Dew craving apparently.

Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies