Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 11:45 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
If single payer becomes the law of the land in a cashless society, how hard would it be for your doctor to tell you to take off 20 lbs, notify the feds, and every time you try to buy a soda your debit card is turned down. Or control what you buy in the supermarket. The feds could shut down any restaurant they wanted. To go complete extreme, they could cause a famine.

I appreciate that sounds alarmist, but after the last 16 years I think our politics and our American society have gone a little crazy. One good demagogue could pull us in an extreme direction.
OMG you sound like a nut.

I made this thread a little bit ago discussing a similar fear: an article from the future: is this a valid argument against single payer?

And I posted this, maybe earlier in this same thread in fact -- worth reading and pondering: A Letter From 2044 Warns of the True Privacy Dystopia

I don't believe most people really understand or appreciate how much things are going to change in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 11:48 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
It is good. I think it's one that might bear a modern remake if handled well.

But I didn't think you were into speculative fiction and cautionary fiction based on your belittlement in this post: http://www.city-data.com/forum/48675122-post118.html

What can I say, I am a product of the 80s and 90s.

I hope you didn't take that as belittlement. It wasn't meant that way, I was just messing around.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:49 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Until the United States constitution is amended that states bills and coins are legal tender for all debts, I will continue to pay in cash when ever I want.
If a business refuses to take my cash, they won't be paid at all, and that includes restaurants.
Sue me, and see who wins that case.
With the constitution behind me, I would be the winner in any lawsuit.

The constitution says nothing about personal checks, money orders, cashier checks, or credit/debit cards being legal tender.
The term being used in the constitution is "Bills, and Coins".

Bob.
Nothing you've posted has any basis in fact. You do not have the constitution behind you. Just because it is legal tender does not mean everyone has to accept it.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:39 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Nothing you've posted has any basis in fact. You do not have the constitution behind you. Just because it is legal tender does not mean everyone has to accept it.
They have to accept it if legal tender is all I have to settle the debt.
It is either that, or don't get paid at all.

Perhaps you aren't aware of this, but the constitution has an adopted set of rules by which this country is governed.
These rules are called amendments of the constitution.

We, are governed by the rules stated in the constitution, such as the right to bear arms, freedom of speech, coins and bills are legal tender for the payment of debts.etc..
Are you having a problem understanding the rules set forth in the constitution?

One can't pick and choose what amendment to the constitution they are going to obey, and the ones they aren't going to obey.
They were adopted for a reason,and if you can't grasp that concept, then there is no use prolonging any more conversation with you.

You are out in left field somewhere when it comes to understanding the rules laid out in the constitution.
The amendments as adopted, spell out how our country will conduct itself, and it has worked pretty well for over 240 years.
At the risk of repeating myself, the constitution states my bills and coins are legal for paying debt.

I stated earlier, business can accept credit cards if they wish, but they simply must take cash(legal tender) if I choose to pay that way.

If they refuse, they simply do not get paid.
Please show me where in the constitution it states credit cards, debit cards are legal tender for payment of all debts.

Bob.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:54 PM

1,225 posts, read 632,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I dont see too many taking them up on the offer, at least now.

Too many people hate credit cards. While few people dont have an MC or Visa. I sell big ticket goods PT. There is a large minority of people that use their credit cards for big ticket items only, often asking what is the soonest they can pay the bill. Anything under say $200 is paid in cash.
If you have a bank checking account, most liking there is a Visa or MC debit card attached to the account, How many people under age 80 do you see writing checks?

Old 07-15-2017, 01:08 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I don't see a problem with it. I work in an optical, and 80% or more of our transactions are credit/debit. It doesn't matter what the size of the purchase is; everyone uses the credit card. It's convenient, protected by the bank, and easier to track expenditures.

Besides, my wife, who usually likes paying in cash, has stopped using it when going out to eat because the wait staff is consistently stealing the change prior to our leaving the tip. They simply keep the coins for themselves and return only the paper bills. Using a credit card has eliminated this problem.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
OMG you sound like a nut.

I made this thread a little bit ago discussing a similar fear: an article from the future: is this a valid argument against single payer?

And I posted this, maybe earlier in this same thread in fact -- worth reading and pondering: A Letter From 2044 Warns of the True Privacy Dystopia

I don't believe most people really understand or appreciate how much things are going to change in the future.
I don't believe most people really understand or appreciate how much things have changed from the past. If they did, they would be very concerned about a good number of things the government has been up to.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:

Perhaps you aren't aware of this, but the constitution has an adopted set of rules by which this country is governed.

We, are governed by the rules stated in the constitution, such as the right to bear arms, freedom of speech, coins and bills are legal tender for the payment of debts.etc..

One can't pick and choose what amendment to the constitution they are going to obey, and the ones they aren't going to obey.
They were adopted for a reason,and if you can't grasp that concept, then there is no use prolonging any more conversation with you.

You are out in left field somewhere when it comes to understanding the rules laid out in the constitution.
The amendments as adopted, spell out how our country will conduct itself, and it has worked pretty well for over 240 years.
At the risk of repeating myself, the constitution states my bills and coins are legal for paying debt.

I stated earlier, business can accept credit cards if they wish, but they simply must take cash(legal tender) if I choose to pay that way.

Please show me where in the constitution it states credit cards, debit cards are legal tender for payment of all debts.

Bob.

Bob - are you deliberately not responding to my posts because they prove you wrong?

Old 07-15-2017, 01:56 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Visa Takes War on Cash to Restaurants

Visa Inc. has a new offer for small merchants: take thousands of dollars from the card giant to upgrade their payment technology. In return, the businesses must stop accepting cash.

Visa Takes War on Cash to Restaurants | Fox Business

For years VISA has been trying to eliminate cash, which it views as its biggest competitor according to the article. For some perspective, cash accounts for 32% of consumer transactions, compared with 27% for debit cards and 21% for credit cards.

Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco | 2015 Diary of Consumer Payment Choice Preliminary Findings

Many banks are now charging debit card fees.

I see a huge problem driving people into a cashless society, and then charging people to use their own money.

Anyone else see a problem?
This seems to be legally questionable.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:03 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:

Bob.
This is correct. Currency is "legal tender for all debts public and private"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies