Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 06:03 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
That sounds like a problem with the insurers. After all, they are the ones charging the skyrocketing costs..right?
The problem IS the insurers. They need to go and they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 06:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
While special snowflakes who have employere-paid insurance won't have to pick up THEIR slack.
When companies have to pay employees' insurance, they are forced to pay the employees less money. It's not just some employer charity. Before bongo-care, I had the option to opt out of company-provided health coverage and keep the extra money.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:21 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Healthy people that choose the cheaper policies will be at risk of the insurance company refusing to pay a claim and accusing the claimant of hiding a pre-existing condition. Even if the healthy person was 100% healthy when they got the policy. Could be a refusal for a $100,000 surgery even though the insurance policy was active during the time of surgery and approved by the insurance company.

This happened to my aunt with a pre-aca policy. She was a small business owner and paid the full premium for many years. She got cancer and had surgery. The insurance company refused to pay the bills afterwards, although they approved the surgery and her premiums were paid and up-to-date.

Healthy people that choose the cheap non-ACA compliant policies will get cheaper monthly premiums, but if they get an expensive claim later, the insurance company will try their best to deny paying that claim and there is no ACA rule to protect you. The insurance companies got away with this prior to ACA and they will be able to do it again if you choose the cheaper 'no frills' policy. Many people will choose these policies and will unknowingly get their big claims denied later. The carriers only do such denials when the claims are big.

If you want a good policy that doesn't do this(aca complaint), then you'll have to pay a very high monthly premium because the young healthy people will flock to the no frills(no protection 'cancel you if your claim is big' policies). The remaining people on the good policies will be older or sicker and will result in a skewed pool of insureds - causing monthly premiums to spike.

In the end, you will have 2 choices - 1) cheap policy that might refuse to pay a big claim if you ever get sick or injured or 2) a good policy that costs much more per month than today.

Even people with good jobs that pay their own premiums will be faced with the 2 choices above. If they want a decent insurance policy, they'll pay through the nose (much higher premium than ACA premiums today)

Old 07-15-2017, 06:29 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Healthy people that choose the cheaper policies will be at risk of the insurance company refusing to pay a claim and accusing the claimant of hiding a pre-existing condition. Even if the healthy person was 100% healthy when they got the policy. Could be a refusal for a $100,000 surgery even though the insurance policy was active during the time of surgery and approved by the insurance company.

This happened to my aunt with a pre-aca policy. She was a small business owner and paid the full premium for many years. She got cancer and had surgery. The insurance company refused to pay the bills afterwards, although they approved the surgery and her premiums were paid and up-to-date.

Healthy people that choose the cheap non-ACA compliant policies will get cheaper monthly premiums, but if they get an expensive claim later, the insurance company will try their best to deny paying that claim and there is no ACA rule to protect you. The insurance companies got away with this prior to ACA and they will be able to do it again if you choose the cheaper 'no frills' policy. Many people will choose these policies and will unknowingly get their big claims denied later. The carriers only do such denials when the claims are big.

If you want a good policy that doesn't do this(aca complaint), then you'll have to pay a very high monthly premium because the young healthy people will flock to the no frills(no protection 'cancel you if your claim is big' policies). The remaining people on the good policies will be older or sicker and will result in a skewed pool of insureds - causing monthly premiums to spike.

In the end, you will have 2 choices - 1) cheap policy that might refuse to pay a big claim if you ever get sick or injured or 2) a good policy that costs much more per month than today.

Way too many scare tactics from the right on Health Care. There are Thousands of people right now, that paid the fine and did not buy insurance. The only people that like ObamaCare are the ones getting all the free subsidizing and paying little or nothing, while the working class pay all the bills and have skyrocketing premiums.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:35 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
That's why I'm saving money now.
I had 4 months in the workforce to save money before my stage IV cancer diagnosis. Now I'll live 50-60+ years beyond the diagnosis with a higher cost of living as a baseline due to my extra health needs.

I didn't get cancer because I was irresponsible. I wouldn't struggle to pay higher premiums for the rest of my life because I'm lazy. I am earning a master's degree in a well-paid field, despite some lingering cognitive impairment (primarily memory) from chemo, while working full time. I have won national awards, given major talks, and hold leadership roles in both professional and advocacy contexts. And while I network and work my tush off, I can only imagine what my premiums could look like as someone who survived metastatic cancer, has damaged lungs from chemo, and is at risk for heart and kidney issues down the line thanks to my treatment.

People with chronic health issues often have a harder time maintaining employment, not to mention have their education and careers disrupted, due to the very illness that may now cost them even more money. I was lucky - I was already above average in most facets of my professional and academic life. I've fallen into a whole lot of lucky situations to stay afloat. Not everyone has that benefit - particularly with more ongoing or reoccurring acute health crises.

There but by the grace of G-d go I.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:47 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Enough already. New healthcare plan: 100 percent government funded healthcare. But the only way to get it is with a healthcare card. Anyone working, volunteering, or otherwise helping society gets a card. If you sit around doing nothing or commit a crime then we take away your card.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:53 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
The only people that like ObamaCare are the ones getting all the free subsidizing and paying little or nothing, while the working class pay all the bills and have skyrocketing premiums.
This isn't true. First of all "working class" is the term that is sometimes used to describe poor people that work or almost poor people that work manual jobs and are just getting by. Many of these are subsidized. Working class doesn't only mean 'people that work' and it doesn't only mean 'middle class'.

Regardless what you call the people that don't get subsidized, there are many - such as small business owners, self-employed, workers whose job don't provide insurance and early retirees. They love their ACA policies and many pay full price with no subsidy.

Trumpcare will have premiums even higher than ACA. So using 'skyrocketing premiums' as a negative for ACA, is an even bigger negative for the Trumpcare. Trumpcare's premiums will go through the roof for many and they will no longer be able to afford insurance. So they will go without, and risk missing out on necessary healthcare which could be life threatening to them. Or they go bankcrupt paying for healthcare if something suddenly comes up while they are uninsured.

Just like ACA, 'working class' (aka poor working people') will be subsidized. But people that pay their own way will be getting even higher premiums. That's one of the reasons that TrumpCare us worse that ACA - because the premiums are higher. It's terrible, ESPECIALLY for people that pay there own way (self employed, working people that make good money but don't get insurance from work, early retirees that have enough money to live on and don't need to work - but are too young for Medicare, etc)

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/d.../working-class

https://www.theguardian.com/notesand...,-1257,00.html

Last edited by sware2cod; 07-15-2017 at 07:37 PM..

Old 07-15-2017, 07:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Enough already. New healthcare plan: 100 percent government funded healthcare. But the only way to get it is with a healthcare card. Anyone working, volunteering, or otherwise helping society gets a card. If you sit around doing nothing or commit a crime then we take away your card.
In which case you are going to pay for their healthcare anyway.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:02 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In which case you are going to pay for their healthcare anyway.
How so?

Old 07-15-2017, 07:03 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
The bottom line is that no matter what ANY politician says or does, the health care system is broke -- as in out of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies