Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 12:48 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times

Advertisements

If we could get more American students to study math and science (and be good at it) we would not need H1B visas. While the American college kid is studying gender studies while partying and drinking, and getting tattoos, the Indian or Chinese student is spending 12+ hours a day learning math, science, and programming. The stuff that pays the bills today. And liberal arts generally does not pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 09:04 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
If we could get more American students to study math and science (and be good at it) we would not need H1B visas. While the American college kid is studying gender studies while partying and drinking, and getting tattoos, the Indian or Chinese student is spending 12+ hours a day learning math, science, and programming. The stuff that pays the bills today. And liberal arts generally does not pay.

This is just the result of American culture, which has always placed epicurian pursuits and "living in the moment" as important pillars.

But the thing I find objectionable is where an H1b or visa holder takes jobs over qualified americans. For example, take a company in San Fran that is hiring Machine Learning Engineers and they have potential candidates from the Bay Area (an h1b) or from Carnegie Mellon (american). Both are equally qualified. Often times, the h1b candidate will win the candidacy, and that is what I find objectionable. In my previous job, data scientist in San Fran, I saw that happen a few times.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:11 AM

285 posts, read 426,947 times
Quote:
Not true.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:20 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytofly View Post
Not true.

It's 110% true.
Every studies that has looked at the studying and partying behaviors of college students has shown that American students consume more alcohol, party more, and study less.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
This is just the result of American culture, which has always placed epicurian pursuits and "living in the moment" as important pillars.

But the thing I find objectionable is where an H1b or visa holder takes jobs over qualified americans. For example, take a company in San Fran that is hiring Machine Learning Engineers and they have potential candidates from the Bay Area (an h1b) or from Carnegie Mellon (american). Both are equally qualified. Often times, the h1b candidate will win the candidacy, and that is what I find objectionable. In my previous job, data scientist in San Fran, I saw that happen a few times.
Sure both candidates are equally qualified. But I feel the H1B visa holder will be willing to put up with more nonsense and work much longer hours than the American candidate. If the American worker gets axed, they will simply go on unemployment and look for another job. If the visa holder gets axed it's right back to the second and third world country they came from.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
I think you're making assumptions. I've worked with and known many here on H1b visas, they aren't that much different than American college kids. For example some H1bs that IBM hired and placed in a boiler room to do some linux admin work. These are kids that did not even study IT or computer science, some are more interested in music or arts but they are taking an IT career path because it pays. None of these H1bs studies 12 hrs a day. They simply came from a culture that had much higher math & science program in school. The reason they get the job because they are cheaper, easier to control, and won't walk out and find another job.

Corporate America loves H1Bs because it's modern day slavery. They are paid less, no raises ever, some are paid much higher salary but their full paychecks are always eaten up by the staffing companies that sponsored them. If they get $100k salary, expect more than 50% to be taken by their staffing agency. They can't just quit and leave, they'll lose sponsorship and face deportation. Some who done so must find someone to sponsor them. Many Indian women who face sexual harassment are often from Indian men in power that tries to get sexual favors in exchange for sponsorship. The Indian manager who was fired at Google had utilized his status for sexual favors.

We need to push the salary requirement of H1b to $175k so that makes low end to mid tier jobs unfavorable for importing workers.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:51 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,254 times
Quote:
Only 1/2 or so of Americans that that go into STEM end up staying (and it's not because of their deficiencies but because of lack of jobs.)

BTW, I've found that H1Bs were being used for physical therapists and even soccer coaches. It's not just IT.

I believe the H1B program was bad from the get go (AIG used it in the 1990's to do what Disney did in 2015.) and was only meant to bring down wages. I believe it needs to be ABOLISHED and they should go back to green cards.

Also, here's another thing about H1B visas (not saying this guy was on H1B, but still). Recall the movie Heavy Weights where the campers were able to get one up on the evil Tony and basically blackmailed one of Tony's assistants, Lars, into joining them, stating that he would have to have a job (his current one) or he'd be deported and he basically then said "I love you guys!"? That's basically what H1B does. If you complain, don't work crazy hours with no raises, you get sent back. That's why they like H1B. Even if they are paid the same as Americans, it might be for 80 hour weeks with no raises and no vacations and whatnot. And your boss could be a complete a**hole and you couldn't just up and leave like an American or a green-card Indian could.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:59 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Don't forget H1B spouses, usually wives, come here on H4 visas. In the past, the H4 didn't come with an EAD...but now a lot of those H4s DO get permission to work.

Ever wondered where all these Indian women in QA came from in the last few years?

There's your answer.

You are twisting facts like the liberal news channels.

H4's can work if they have Green card application approved and have stayed in US for 6 years. Not every spouse.

And Indian women can work as QA's because they have 12+4 years of school + college education or prior work experience.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think you're making assumptions. I've worked with and known many here on H1b visas, they aren't that much different than American college kids. For example some H1bs that IBM hired and placed in a boiler room to do some linux admin work. These are kids that did not even study IT or computer science, some are more interested in music or arts but they are taking an IT career path because it pays. None of these H1bs studies 12 hrs a day. They simply came from a culture that had much higher math & science program in school. The reason they get the job because they are cheaper, easier to control, and won't walk out and find another job.

Corporate America loves H1Bs because it's modern day slavery. They are paid less, no raises ever, some are paid much higher salary but their full paychecks are always eaten up by the staffing companies that sponsored them. If they get $100k salary, expect more than 50% to be taken by their staffing agency. They can't just quit and leave, they'll lose sponsorship and face deportation. Some who done so must find someone to sponsor them. Many Indian women who face sexual harassment are often from Indian men in power that tries to get sexual favors in exchange for sponsorship. The Indian manager who was fired at Google had utilized his status for sexual favors.

We need to push the salary requirement of H1b to $175k so that makes low end to mid tier jobs unfavorable for importing workers.
You ran out of complaints and now finally started quoting sexual harassment?? Grow up dude.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:13 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
I've got 2 H1b guys under me (executive mandate), and know exactly what they pull down. Both senior level guys on paper. The first guy makes 137K per year (the job is worth at least 160, for the record), but Tata - the company that sponsored his visa and is lending him to us - takes about 50 of it, so he nets about 87K. The second guy is a direct sponsorship, and he makes 98K, with a 10% bonus.

My junior-level citizen engineers make 115-130K to start, depending on their negotiating chops. My citizen senior level engineers make anywhere between 150 and just shy of 190. My executives largely think this is working out brilliantly, and that they're saving all sorts of money as well as checking off a box on their diversity benchmarks. Boots on the ground, I trust my junior level engineers more than I do my H1b guys, and with good reason. It's actually not working at all, it's just that everybody else is covering for their deficiencies. I can't get these two to think even 1 inch outside of the box or exercise any autonomy. They're both dictionaries of command line syntax, but display absolutely no ability to translate that dictionary knowledge into practical production or engineering. I basically have to hand-feed them exactly what I want done, and if I fail to mention even the most obvious step or prerequisite, they fail to proactively put in that foundational command. Just my own experience. But they are most assuredly not being paid the same as everyone else, or even what I would consider to be market rate for the job title, even if I feel they are overpaid in terms of their competence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies