Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:37 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Oh, I hope you're right. My fear is that McConnell has it in the bag. He know he only has two "no" votes. Why else would he delay the vote? Why give anymore time for study of the CBO scoring unless he knows it doesn't matter because with McCain, he has all the votes he needs.
It doesn't look like at this point he has the votes and from what I have read hasn't decided. Keep in mind the vote on the other bills were scheduled a few times as well only to be scrapped right before.

Waiting a week he could get to 50, having it this week, he has no shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 08:40 AM

993 posts, read 766,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's delayed because they don't have the votes, McCain is just an excuse.

Republicans slammed the (D)'s for the billions in give aways to get votes. They were correct but here they are, buying votes.
I didn't think of that. So this just gives them more time to put together buyouts? If not, why delay the inevitable?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
I didn't think of that. So this just gives them more time to put together buyouts? If not, why delay the inevitable?
That is what they are doing. I see where our Senator (Capito) says she is still undecided. I'm wondering what we will get.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:44 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It doesn't look like at this point he has the votes and from what I have read hasn't decided. Keep in mind the vote on the other bills were scheduled a few times as well only to be scrapped right before.

Waiting a week he could get to 50, having it this week, he has no shot.
Actually, the longer these bills languish in Congress the less support they tend to have. They needed to pass something fast--so fast that no one had time to really figure out how horrible it was. Now there will be CBO scoring out there and estimates of how many people will lose their insurance under this bill and that's sure to scare a few of the fence sitters.

Of course, McConnell is busy spreading around lots and lots of cash in an attempt to buy the votes he still needs. It remains to be seen how successful he is with that. But I do think that generally speaking, the longer this plan is out there for all to see the less support it will have. The bulk of the medical community has already come out strongly against it.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:54 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Actually, the longer these bills languish in Congress the less support they tend to have. They needed to pass something fast--so fast that no one had time to really figure out how horrible it was. Now there will be CBO scoring out there and estimates of how many people will lose their insurance under this bill and that's sure to scare a few of the fence sitters.

Of course, McConnell is busy spreading around lots and lots of cash in an attempt to buy the votes he still needs. It remains to be seen how successful he is with that. But I do think that generally speaking, the longer this plan is out there for all to see the less support it will have. The bulk of the medical community has already come out strongly against it.
I'm not disagreeing with that. My point is simply without McCain being in D.C the most they can get is 49 votes with Collins and Paul solid no's. Once he is back, I still do not think they will have enough, but McConnell isn't going to hold a vote when he knows it has no shot.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJoy View Post
What kind of Insurance did he use? Thanks for your service Mr McCain.

He had melanoma before, a deadly form of skin cancer. This is a major pre-existing condition. The new 'bare bones' plans in the latest Senate bill would reject Mr McCain if he tried to buy their policy.

If he was a 60 year old middle class self employed person having to buy such plan and wasn't a vet/Senator, he would be forced to buy the ACA compliant plan that accepts people with pre-existing conditions or go without insurance. It could cost $2500/month with TrumpCare and that would be his only choice for insurance if he wasn't a vet and didn't have other such insurance via an employer.

I agree - Thanks for your service Mr McCain. Not only his military service, but also his public service as a Senator. He's a great person. I wish he would vote NO on TrumpCare or negotiate to remove that new "Cruz addition" part that allows plans that refuse people with pre-existing conditions. That one clause is very bad and will fracture the insurance market into 2 - and both parts of the fracture will be terrible for the people.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:29 AM

22 posts, read 9,170 times
Meghan McCain is a thousand times smarter than John McCain, that I can tell you.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:34 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
What if he never recovers? (perish the thought )

Old 07-16-2017, 09:44 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Yup. If it wasn't McCain, some other excuse would have been found.

McConnell thinks/hopes/prays that delay will allow him to find the right hat out of which to pull the winning rabbit.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:17 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,698 times
Quote:
What I find ominous: McConnell must know that McCain is a yes vote. And McConnell must know that every senator except for Susan Collins and Rand Paul are yes votes. Why else delay the vote?

I'm insured through the ACA, disabled due to a brain injury. I cannot work. Was diagnosed with breast cancer in April. I'm 59. Big time pre-existing conditions. It's a worry.
I feel for you. I'm in the same boat being too young for Medicare but have multiple pre-existing conditions. This isn't just the Medicaid issue, but we will also go back to the days of denial of coverage due to pre-existing conditions. What are people supposed to do? I guess according to the GOP just stay sick and then die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies