Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:26 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I buy a lot of car parts, and I have UPS and FedEx delivering almost every day from some online supplier. I realize I should be supporting some local guy, but I save money, there are few hassles, and I don't have to put up with all the bs at the check out.........(want to join our club, will you take a survey, want an extended warrranty ?)

But there is a downside. I just ordered two ac condensers from Rock Auto. First one was made wrong, would not fit, second one was packaged badly and came in bent. They took them back, but I have to wait for credit. I ran to O'Reilly Auto Parts, picked up one, and it fit and was in good condition. So, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
This is the crux of it, right? If you're retired, your income is relatively fixed and if you work, your income is flat, we are forced to save wherever we can. Unfortunately the brick and mortar business has overhead that e-commerce may not. We are foregoing convenience for price.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:28 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Amazon is doing to retail in general what 7/11 did to mom and pop convenience stores. Maybe Amazon will put 7/11 out of business. Have a slurpee delivered to your front door in 5 minutes. Soon no one will ever even have to leave their house. Some kind of brave new world. I don't think I like it.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:29 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,515 times
If these stores wanna compete, hire better and more talented people. That is the long and short of it. When you shop online you are literally your own customer service person unless there's an issue with billing or something. You'll never get the same person twice so they aren't even worried about it.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
If these stores wanna compete, hire better and more talented people. That is the long and short of it. When you shop online you are literally your own customer service person unless there's an issue with billing or something. You'll never get the same person twice so they aren't even worried about it.
If you remember the "old days", I'm a boomer and it was on the fringe of my time, but stores were small and specialized. There were shoe stores and they measured your foot and knew some things about fit and anatomy, tailors would fit your suits, shoe repair, hardware stores, jewelry, etc. it was ALL about customer service. The advent of the big box store was the beginning of the end for the specialty Mom and Pop shops. This is just part of the evolution of retail, profit margins are being squeezed tighter and tighter, that's going to be a very difficult obstacle for the small retailer. So the challenge is to ask how you can get people to pay more for something they can get online cheaper. Is having a friendly face and someone to talk to enough?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:56 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
I suggest we kill Amazon and let Alibaba take over the world.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I suggest we kill Amazon and let Alibaba take over the world.
Why? Amazon is an American company, they have warehouses and distribution centers throughout the country, and Bezos is spawning new businesses and employing more Americans than the Chinese counterpart.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:06 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I detest shopping. With the exception of clothes, I would much rather use Amazon. Easy, no fuss, and no searching aisle after aisle.
For those who talk customer service....
A waste of time is asking a lowes or Home Depot person a question. I still prefer shopping a mom and pop store over Amazon, but those stores are far and few.
Amazon is making it easier and easier to shop for clothes online as well.

"Amazon Prime Wardrobe lets you order clothing, shoes or accessories, try them on at home, keep what you want and ship the rest back. You only pay for what you keep and shipping in both directions is free."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmu.../#40db61fd2714

I'm a Prime member and have been buying clothes online for a long time, but you always had to pay upfront and then get your money refunded when you sent the clothes back. I will definitely be taking advantage of this new business model. I like being able to try on clothes in my own house, with my own accessories and shoes and real world lighting. I can see this being something other online retailers will start offering as well.

You can't put the technology genie back in the bottle. This is the way of the future.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:09 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Amazon is making it easier and easier to shop for clothes online as well.

"Amazon Prime Wardrobe lets you order clothing, shoes or accessories, try them on at home, keep what you want and ship the rest back. You only pay for what you keep and shipping in both directions is free."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmu.../#40db61fd2714

I'm a Prime member and have been buying clothes online for a long time, but you always had to pay upfront and then get your money refunded when you sent the clothes back. I will definitely be taking advantage of this new business model. I like being able to try on clothes in my own house, with my own accessories and shoes. I can see this being something other online retailers will start offering as well.

You can't put the technology genie back in the bottle. This is the way of the future.
As a guy I seldom try on clothes before buying. Shoes always. I don't like sending back. It annoys me. In fact few things annoy me more than when my wife asks me to take something to the UPS store to send back. We live in the sticks.
It's always shoes. I want to scream, don't buy shoes on line. LOL

Old 07-16-2017, 09:10 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Why? Amazon is an American company, they have warehouses and distribution centers throughout the country, and Bezos is spawning new businesses and employing more Americans than the Chinese counterpart.
Why not? Globalism and America Last!!!!

You must be a xenophobic racist Trump supporter!

Old 07-16-2017, 09:13 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
As a guy I seldom try on clothes before buying. Shoes always. I don't like sending back. It annoys me. In fact few things annoy me more than when my wife asks me to take something to the UPS store to send back. We live in the sticks.
It's always shoes. I want to scream, don't buy shoes on line. LOL
I hear you, but I have some foot problems and have a really hard time finding shoes I can wear comfortably. But I can find lots of styles online that fit and are comfortable. It's been a real blessing in that regard.

But yeah, I hear you. I have a wedding in a few weeks and literally tried on and sent back six pairs of shoes before finding the perfect pair. But I have to make the shipping runs myself. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies