Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 05:47 PM

32,969 posts, read 12,250,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
According to an article last year Wal-Mart recently closed like over 200 stores however I think they opened some new ones in other areas such as D.C. They are just over extended in certain areas.
I live in The Woodlands, TX. Wal-Mart opened a new store a few feet outside one of the southern entrances to The Woodlands. The store is in unincorporated Harris County in an area where some businesses and residences have a Tomball address, and some have a Spring address. The new Wal-Mart has a Tomball address. Some residents of The Woodlands organized protests re the development of this Wal-Mart which, IMO, is pretty ridiculous as there are three other Wal-Marts situated along other parts of the perimeter of The Woodlands.

This new Wal-Mart has the first Chobani cafe outside of New York, was designed for Mobile Scan and Go, and was built with internet order Pickup lanes (didn't have to be retrofitted/adapted like other Wal-Marts). HEB (a privately held grocery chain that was among the 15 largest privately held companies in the U.S. in 2014) has also initiated 'pickup' service here, as has Kroger (ClickList):

https://communityimpact.com/houston/...-chobani-cafe/

Amazon has a higher market cap, but Wal-Mart's net income is higher, and they have more cash.

Wal-Mart has also supposedly 'warned' motor carriers to stop hauling Amazon loads:

Wal-Mart warns motor carriers to stop hauling Amazon loads, consultant says – DC Velocity

The battle between those two (Wal-Mart and Amazon) should be interesting.

I believe Target is only opening 7 stores nationwide in 2017, and the one of those in Texas recently opened a few miles south of the new Wal-Mart mentioned above.

Quote:
Amazon is very good for electronics and they pretty much set what the prices are nationwide. Also people buy on EBay. Video games have gone digital and you don't even need to buy them at a store anymore. That's just another example.

Brick and mortar has tons of competition, not just Amazon.
I'm sitting in a fairly comfy chair right now on the mezzanine level of the Whole Foods at Post Oak and San Felipe in Houston, just having finished my 16oz self serve cup of fresh vegetable soup. Most of the parking is underground, and it is free (there are signs re the area under the Whole Foods that warn that the parking is for customers, and that violators will be towed}. Each parking space has a camera or motion sensor over it, with a green light that turns to red when someone pulls into the space. Both elevators and escalators take shoppers up to the first level of the store. If any technological stone was left unturned when this store was built, I imagine, with Amazon's purchase of Whole Foods, that Amazon will close any gap. My local Whole Foods (at Hughes Landing, in The Woodlands) has an above ground parking garage directly above the store.

Best Buy started price matching 19 'retailers' a few years ago. Amazon is one of the nineteen, and at least one of those (HHGregg) has gone out of business. If Best Buy and Amazon have the same product, and Amazon is cheaper, I just go to Best Buy and have them match Amazon. My local Best Buy in The Woodlands is one of the top 20 Best Buy stores in the U.S., so they are usually kept pretty well stocked.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:56 PM

77,936 posts, read 60,105,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Customer service is the advantage brick and mortar stores have over online. Yet so few seem to take advantage of this.
Maybe at niche stores but not many other places.

I ordered a water filter for my fridge tonight via amazon. Took 30 seconds vs. going out for a drive etc.

Pretty easy equation to understand.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:01 PM

26,707 posts, read 22,349,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
So what happens with the theory of "trickle down" economy in this case, that some love to advertise so much?
Weren't money in commerce suppose to "trickle down" to all those store clerks, "Food court" workers, maintenance and all?

Old 07-16-2017, 07:14 PM

72,846 posts, read 62,272,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Maybe at niche stores but not many other places.

I ordered a water filter for my fridge tonight via amazon. Took 30 seconds vs. going out for a drive etc.

Pretty easy equation to understand.
Except that you won't get the water filter for a day or two. At least if you go to the store, you'll get it tonight.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:17 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,607,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Malls may become schools or small offices.

It's internet shopping as well as some department stores and grocery chains who started to utter political preferences and the people decided for themselves how to deal with that which caused brick and mortar to suffer.

Anchor stores leaving causes smaller store to suffer too.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,570,621 times
I buy a lot of stuff on amazon, usually stuff that I can't find in the physical stores that has nothing to do with Amazon killing brick and mortar.

I think there are too much retail stores out there and competition is too stiff. I use to go 2-3 stores on the weekend to buy certain things now I just go to one place for all my shopping and ignore going to places like Walmart because they have the worst customer service and checkout lines are slow as snails. That's why Walmart should close their operation. They have the worst shopping experience. A gallon of milk there costs $2.96 while next door a supermarket charges $3.29. I rather pay the $3.29 and get out in 5mins than stand online at Walmart checkout for 30mins because of slow registers and slow shoppers.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:58 PM

33,834 posts, read 16,852,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I buy a lot of stuff on amazon, usually stuff that I can't find in the physical stores that has nothing to do with Amazon killing brick and mortar.

I think there are too much retail stores out there and competition is too stiff. I use to go 2-3 stores on the weekend to buy certain things now I just go to one place for all my shopping and ignore going to places like Walmart because they have the worst customer service and checkout lines are slow as snails. That's why Walmart should close their operation. They have the worst shopping experience. A gallon of milk there costs $2.96 while next door a supermarket charges $3.29. I rather pay the $3.29 and get out in 5mins than stand online at Walmart checkout for 30mins because of slow registers and slow shoppers.
I get out of my WM in 5 minutes max. Self serve checkouts are my M.O. If you have just manned cashier stations, I will not shop at your store.

Also like Shop Rite's and Stop & Shop's self checkouts. Very quick.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:01 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,570,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I get out of my WM in 5 minutes max. Self serve checkouts are my M.O. If you have just manned cashier stations, I will not shop at your store.

Also like Shop Rite's and Stop & Shop's self checkouts. Very quick.
Big difference between stop & shop and walmart. If you can get out of WM in 5mins consider yourself lucky. I often go there and ended up throwing a whole shopping cart away because the lines are ridiculous even at self-checkouts. The lines are long and constantly the machines needed assistance.

I think all these stores better watchout because once Amazon has the RFID checkout working well people will all go to Amazon stores for the quickest checkout.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:06 PM

33,834 posts, read 16,852,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Big difference between stop & shop and walmart. If you can get out of WM in 5mins consider yourself lucky. I often go there and ended up throwing a whole shopping cart away because the lines are ridiculous even at self-checkouts. The lines are long and constantly the machines needed assistance.

I think all these stores better watchout because once Amazon has the RFID checkout working well people will all go to Amazon stores for the quickest checkout.
We have 8 self checkouts, minimum, all day long at WM Ct store. I never wait more than 90 seconds for my turn. I can scan and pay for about 12 items in 3 minutes flat. RFID is also coming to WM. Delay is the cost is targeted from what I read at a dime max to make it worthwhile. Its still a quarter a chip at this point.

Target near me in Bronx where I work nearby also has many self checkouts. It sometimes takes me 7-8 minutes to get out of there.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:14 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,727,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We have 8 self checkouts, minimum, all day long at WM Ct store. I never wait more than 90 seconds for my turn. I can scan and pay for about 12 items in 3 minutes flat. RFID is also coming to WM. Delay is the cost is targeted from what I read at a dime max to make it worthwhile. Its still a quarter a chip at this point.

Target near me in Bronx where I work nearby also has many self checkouts. It sometimes takes me 7-8 minutes to get out of there.
Must not be a busy Walmart then. Do you know how much revenue it has a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies