Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 02:29 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitshipp View Post
Okay, but I don't recall being asked to pay more to not be throttled. I use Cox and their statement is as follows:

Cox is committed to an open Internet experience for our customers. This means the following:
No blocking of legal content
No throttling
No unfair discrimination
Transparency in our customer practices
We stand by an open Internet because it’s good for our business, and our customers expect and deserve it.
Well, they may say that, but even if they weren't FOR any of that, they would not be able to do that because of NN regulations.

Now, with the repeal of NN regulations, they can say all of that - but there is no way to hold them accountable to those statements.

The debates about "paying more for" certain content provider data actually was discussed quite often, usually around Netflix data traffic. Some ISPs were floating around ideas of offering tiered plans. I'm not sure if any tried it - but you can bet your behind that once one tried it, others would have followed.

There are many specific examples of ISPs blocking/throttling/limiting data coming from certain services (such as VOIP) pre-NN.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:31 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
I have a question: If Net Neutrality rules only came into effect in 2015, why weren't the ISPs making us pay extra to use YouTube, Facebook, etc at faster speeds before then?
They tried. ISPs would block VOIP or streaming as it fit their whim, because it cut into their profits, and the FCC would twist their arms not to. Examples abound.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
I have a question: If Net Neutrality rules only came into effect in 2015, why weren't the ISPs making us pay extra to use YouTube, Facebook, etc at faster speeds before then?
It did happen, and this is like asking why did airlines not have all their little fees like they do now 10, 15 years ago.

NN came in response to what ISPs were doing. It was not an issue in 2005 because the Internet was not as prominent of a force it is now, and frankly, because no one thought of the money making ideas yet, just as 15, 20 years ago, no one thought of all the money making ideas airlines employ now.

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Exactly.

And oh by the way, two weeks ago when I got my new 4k TV, during the idyllic days of Obama's net neutrality, Netflix charged me $5 more per month to stream 4k ultra. And AT&T UVerse charges me more than customers who get slower speeds, and have since before Obama's "net neutrality" and after. Wow, so before, during and after net neutrality rules, I am charged differently for content, speed, etc.

Hmm...
This post shows you have no clue what NN is. Neither the Netflix charge nor an ISP charging more for faster service compared to slower service has anything to do with NN. Dumb

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Exactly.

And oh by the way, two weeks ago when I got my new 4k TV, during the idyllic days of Obama's net neutrality, Netflix charged me $5 more per month to stream 4k ultra. And AT&T UVerse charges me more than customers who get slower speeds, and have since before Obama's "net neutrality" and after. Wow, so before, during and after net neutrality rules, I am charged differently for content, speed, etc.

Hmm...
I give. You people have no understanding of the issue and you don't want to know.

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Why did these two MASSIVE threads get merged. That was a dumb move. The old thread should have been locked/archived and the thread today after the final verdict on Net Neutrality should be the valid one as it pertains to todays events. This thread is listed as started in July. When people come here to vent they will more than likely be commenting on posts from July.

I was wond [please subscribe to the Xfinity Comments Package to see the rest of this comment]

Old 12-14-2017, 02:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Rather than letting users decide for themselves if they want to sign up with an ISP who does this (not-so-heavy users might like the lower prices of providers who restrict data flow to super-heavy users, while the Super-heavies might find they can use all they want but have to pay for it).
This is absolutely false, there is nothing under NN that precludes an ISP from charging their using a pricing scheme for practically anything they can think up. If they want to charge Grandma who only uses 1 GB of bandwidth a month for a super slow connection they can do that while offering 1TB of data transfer over a super fast connection to their other customers for $100 and everything in between.

What NN dictates is that whether you are Grandma or the customer with the very fast high speed connection you will get equal access to sites and services according to what you are paying the ISP for.

Furthermore the internet has operated under NN forever. The "all you can eat buffet" is something they dreamed up and has nothing to do with NN, low bandwidth users have subsidized high bandwidth users. With the advent of these high bandwidth services those low bandwidth customers are becoming few and far between, it's broken business model but one that has sered them well. The only way they can continue with it is by getting rid of NN.

The only way you will ever see a pricing model where Grandma is offered a lower tier service is with NN. Period.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-14-2017 at 02:52 PM..

Old 12-14-2017, 02:36 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I give. You people have no understanding of the issue and you don't want to know.
I don’t understand why people are so excited to post on this thread and display their ignorance to the world. Is there a 13 year old in a basement somewhere laughing his butt off because he had someone explain Net Neutrality a few times? There are way more amusing things to do on the internet and better topics to troll

Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Here is Ajit trying to defend his case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFhT6H6pRWg

78,100 dislikes to 3100 likes. And the entire video is basically comprised of bald faced intelligence insulting lies.

Here is a video of Rebecca Black's "Friday" song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

780,000 likes to 3.2 million dislikes.

Ajit's video: 3.9% like to dislike ratio
Rebecca Black's "Friday", arguably one of the worst songs ever made: 24.5% like to dislike ratio

Keep defending those horrendously unpopular positions, I am sure that will work out real well for ya.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Seems like this is like deciding how much RAM you need when you buy a computer. Someone who only reads newspapers or email will need a lot less than a gamer. I use less so I pay less.
If the ISP wants to offer you a super slow connection they can do that while continuing to offer any other speeds they want to other customers. If they don't it has nothing to do with NN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies