Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 01:17 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,916,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
"Net Neutrality": A misleading term for Obama-era rules forbidding Internet providers (ISPs) from slowing down or otherwise reducing data flow for heavy users.

Rather than letting users decide for themselves if they want to sign up with an ISP who does this (not-so-heavy users might like the lower prices of providers who restrict data flow to super-heavy users, while the Super-heavies might find they can use all they want but have to pay for it), the Federal government decided they have to take care of users who make a bad decision, by arbitrarily restricting the ISPs who offer such choice.

Now the FCC has decided to repeal such govt restrictions. Now users need to read the fine print on their contracts, and/or call an ISP and ask them if they do that, and at what levels of data flow.

Government is no longer your mother, protecting you from every little thing that comes down the pike. You have to actually find out for yourself, and plan accordingly. Horrors!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/f...111440509.html

One of the dumbest things I've ever read.

You know why there is nothing to read in the fine print? BECAUSE THERE ARE MONOPOLIES IN A TON OF MARKETS! Millions of people only have 1 choice of where to get internet from because major companies like Verizon and Comcast have made it illegal to for competition to move in (and that even include muncipalities!)

It is utterly mind warping how dense you people are.

Despite what you old baby boomers who have 0 clue how a digital economy runs, the internet is used for vastly more than things that just playing video games and watching movies. The other day I had to watch videos on how to solve a complex programming problem that I was unfamiliar with in order to meet work related goals. Now imagine Comcast blocking my access to such videos if I didn't pay a fee.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:17 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,395,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Net Neutrality did not create monopolies, you dolt. It was implemented because ISPs are monopolies.

Deregulated the internet would be prohibiting both the government and providers from regulating it. That is called net neutrality.

A good way to limit content would be to empower monopolies to pick and choose what content you can access and at what cost. That is the repeal of net neutrality.

I will agree that there are morons here. You have effectively outed yourself.

Give me list of all the new national internet providers since 2015. I’ll be waiting.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:18 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,563,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Because without Uncle Sam to wipe their assess these people couldn’t take a ****.
Unga bunga regulation bad no regulation good

8,385 posts, read 7,345,291 times
You don't actually know what net neutrality is, do you?

Because what you describe above isn't it.

10,920 posts, read 6,882,393 times
Quote:
It was done that way for decades! NN is not the status quo. It was always that way prior to 2015 and nobody cared. Nobody. Except the big government liberals and their cronies who wanted more control.
You're wrong - throttling of content was definitely done before these rules were codified and passed by the FCC. These regulations have been GOOD for consumers.

If you're ISP, you might have been upset about this - as a consumer, I couldn't care less.

Lot's of people have cared about this for a very long time. Where have you been? This debate didn't start in 2015!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_ne..._United_States

https://www.cnet.com/news/net-neutra...there-to-here/

Old 12-14-2017, 01:19 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,563,902 times
Quote:
Give me list of all the new national internet providers since 2015. I’ll be waiting.
Given that Net Neutrality has nothing to do with limiting or not limiting new ISPs from springing up, I'm not sure what your point is other than to further demonstrate your lack of comprehension.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:19 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,882,393 times
Quote:
Net Neutrality (or the repeal of it) are totally unrelated. Why do you keep obfuscating and distracting from the topic?

Old 12-14-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
One of the dumbest things I've ever read.

You know why there is nothing to read in the fine print? BECAUSE THERE ARE MONOPOLIES IN A TON OF MARKETS! Millions of people only have 1 choice of where to get internet from because major companies like Verizon and Comcast have made it illegal to for competition to move in (and that even include muncipalities!)

It is utterly mind warping how dense you people are.

Comcast and Verizon can now pass laws? Wow.

I was driving through rural America a couple of years ago and note that millions of people only have access to a single gas station, grocery store or restaurant. Horror!!

Old 12-14-2017, 01:20 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,804,173 times
Critical thinking isn't one of Trump's nor Tumper's strong suits... not surprised. Now we all have to pay for this stupid decision unless it gets overturned.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Given that Net Neutrality has nothing to do with limiting or not limiting new ISPs from springing up, I'm not sure what your point is other than to further demonstrate your lack of comprehension.

You keep parroting that hundreds of millions only have one choice. Since 2015 when implemented, why wasn’t this horrific inequality fixed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies