Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 03:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

If talking CEO's; I get it but, if talking lower level employees, this "non compete" bit needs to be illegal.
Unions operate in a similar fashion....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 03:54 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Sign a contract..live with the consequences...be sure to read the small print. If you don't wish to be bound..don't sign. If you want the job and sign..don't whine.
Nah, this is horse ****.

Imagine you take a job, and it's fine. Then your boss leaves and their replaces is awful. He creates a work environment that you can't stand, so you leave, but aren't able to get work in the field for a year. This is acceptable?

No. It's an abuse of power, designed for companies to stifle competition so they can artificially compete. It should be illegal and the people who make their employees do that are evil.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Nah, this is horse ****.

Imagine you take a job, and it's fine. Then your boss leaves and their replaces is awful. He creates a work environment that you can't stand, so you leave, but aren't able to get work in the field for a year. This is acceptable?

No. It's an abuse of power, designed for companies to stifle competition so they can artificially compete. It should be illegal and the people who make their employees do that are evil.
Everyone should be self employed.... You give a price and an agreement is made, or you modify you pricing tier, or it was not worth your time.
When your contract is finished, you have another contract to fill right behind it. If you are backlogged with work, your reputation is valuable, if you are not working, you need to learn how to market your skills, or better your skills, or look to another way to make a living.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Unions operate in a similar fashion....
LMAO...I knew someone would say this nonsense.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Non-competes are nominally enforceable in Texas but it's pretty unusual. I've never left a company to work for one of its direct competitors, but I have seen employees poached by competitors before. Never heard of anyone being sued.

You'd think Republicans would be all up in arms against this form of neo-industrial feudalism since it flies in the face of personal choice & the employee's right to be capitalistic about his/her own career. Sadly, no...those principles only apply to the wealthy and to corporations.

The little guy gets screwed as usual.

*Crosses Idaho off the list of places to move*
Yep. Bingo!

They only believe in the free market when it benefits the wealthy. To hell with it if it benefits YOU!

If you want to keep your workers from getting poached, PAY THEM MORE and stop using cryptic small print on contracts to keep them.

This thing in Idaho has absolutely nothing to do with being competitive. It's only about helping employers keep employees from getting their appropriate market wage. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a damn fool.

I'm certainly not shocked that this is what passes for fair in Idaho of all places. If I had to choose a few states where I thought something like this would be strongly enforced, Idaho would be pretty close to the top of my list.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Everyone should be self employed.... You give a price and an agreement is made, or you modify you pricing tier, or it was not worth your time.
When your contract is finished, you have another contract to fill right behind it. If you are backlogged with work, your reputation is valuable, if you are not working, you need to learn how to market your skills, or better your skills, or look to another way to make a living.
It doesn't matter if everyone "should" be self employed. No one "should" be murdered, but it happens, so we have to know how to deal with that.

In our current economy of hyper consumption, it's not possible to have everyone be self employed with out entire industries collapsing. That's just the way it is now. If we want to change that, great, but even then, we will never live in a world where everyone is completely self employed.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:51 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
And where do you think they would go if they wanted to switch employers? Likely to a competitor.
Likely to another region or another industry so as not to be working for a direct competitor.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Likely to another region or another industry so as not to be working for a direct competitor.
I've known people and known OF even more people who have actually been required to wait a year before working in the field. Doesn't matter where.

I stand my earlier stated point. NCCs are wrong. They artificially prevent real competition and put employees in unreasonably problematic situations just becasue the employer knows he or she is ****. Since I can only assume that an employer who is confident that they are a good employer won't need NCCs.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:42 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I've known people and known OF even more people who have actually been required to wait a year before working in the field. Doesn't matter where.
Those are not enforceable.
Non-competes must have three limitations: time, geography, and business type. (And the limitation has to be reasonably small. You cannot just say "the United States". The reasonableness is normally based on whether or not it is possible for the person to continue working in their industry.) One of the three can be overly broad if the other two are narrow. (e.g. an entire industry, but only in a specific metro for a few months, or globally/nationally, but only if it is a few specifically defined competitors in specific leadership business roles and for 12 months.)

Maybe that was an ethics law (aka cooling off law) instead of a non-compete? Those have no such limitations.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 PM

6,750 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
This is true. Also non competes are famously hard to enforce because the plaintiff has to prove that you are using some kind of proprietary information which is damaging to your former employer.
I think you are confusing non-compete with non-disclosure. One prevents you from working for a competitor, the other from disclosing confidential information.

Non-disclosures are common in the legal profession for obvious reasons, and I signed a few of them. They never prevented me from taking a different job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies