Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 09:46 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you make a voting decision based on how well YOU do?
The answer to that question must be "of course."

Whether they admit it or not, isn't that what everybody does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 09:47 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,710,839 times
Quote:
I'm not really talking about the economy overall. I think people have a tendency to vote a particular way when they see themselves as having more money which is why politicians should do their best to personalize the message instead of talking about things in general. Not having stocks myself, although my government savings plan is tied to the stock market, I wondered if, as an individual, you saw financial gains for yourself as a stockholder, it would sway you to vote for Trump as maybe it would for other people who saw lower utility bills, bigger tax refunds, gas costs go down, more hours for work/higher pay, cheaper insurance bills, etc..
If you are asking in the abstract, anything goes as to why different people will vote the way they do...

If you are interested in voting according to what suits you in these regards, you have to understand why your stock investments are rising, well beyond who is POTUS. Same with why your utility bills are lower, why the bigger tax refund, etc.

Then, you not only need to understand the causes across the board, but also the trade-offs or ramifications. In the case of the tax refunds, for example. Everyone is happier if they get bigger tax refunds (and/or pay less taxes), good for our personal budget but what of the national budget? What of whatever services can no longer be financed due to less taxes collected; with the military, education, health care, social services?

Don't you think?

Old 08-01-2017, 09:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
I'm not really talking about the economy overall. I think people have a tendency to vote a particular way when they see themselves as having more money which is why politicians should do their best to personalize the message instead of talking about things in general. Not having stocks myself, although my government savings plan is tied to the stock market, I wondered if, as an individual, you saw financial gains for yourself as a stockholder, it would sway you to vote for Trump as maybe it would for other people who saw lower utility bills, bigger tax refunds, gas costs go down, more hours for work/higher pay, cheaper insurance bills, etc..
Just wanted to note that if you have a government pension plan (I also have one) that you should pay more attention to what they are doing with it. That money is invested in the stock market and oftentimes, like a 401k, they allow you to choose which funds you invest in. Also, like a 401k, they will steer you into a plan that makes them money off of you via fees. You should review the funds they offer so that you can choose the ones that have the least amount of fees, if applicable and will give you the most revenue.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If you are asking in the abstract, anything goes as to why different people will vote the way they do...

If you are interested in voting according to what suits you in these regards, you have to understand why your stock investments are rising, well beyond who is POTUS. Same with why your utility bills are lower, why the bigger tax refund, etc.

Then, you not only need to understand the causes across the board, but also the trade-offs or ramifications. In the case of the tax refunds, for example. Everyone is happier if they get bigger tax refunds (and/or pay less taxes), good for our personal budget but what of the national budget? What of whatever services can no longer be financed due to less taxes collected; with the military, education, health care, social services?

Don't you think?

I also agree with this.

I didn't give Obama all the credit for my gains in my accounts during his administration. He deserves a bit of credit but not much IMO. Markets always rise and fall no matter who is president and the gains made during the Obama administration were, IMO naturally going to occur due to the horrible status of the markets under GW Bush and even the first 2-3 years of Obama's term - they had no where to go but up.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:50 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:

So, how are you doing with your stocks and would it make you consider Trump in 2020 if you are doing well?
If I used my stock gains to elect a POTUS I would have made Obama POTUS for life. The stock market almost tripled from it's lows.....and, at minimum, doubled.

My stocks are international.....most companies do a minority of their business in the USA.

Let's put it this way. Coal, Oil, Gas and related stocks are doing horribly....I'm talking down 50% or more. Those who invested in energy are pretty much sunk.

On the other hand, stocks which represent technology (mostly invented by - and located in - blue states) are doing well as the Rest of the World uses their products.

It's depressing to think that Americans are that selfish as to use a gain in the stock market to pick their POTUS. If this was true, we'd never have seen GW Bush as the market went up big time during the Clinton years.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:03 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,547,505 times
Quote:
We have a pretty high income, so based on what we've heard so far, we would save a lot in taxes if Trump had his way. We still wouldn't vote for him.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Let's put it this way. Coal, Oil, Gas and related stocks are doing horribly....I'm talking down 50% or more. Those who invested in energy are pretty much sunk.
Depends on which stocks and over what period of time, but true the energy sector has not done as well as some others over the last 5 years. Some energy stocks, however, not so bad since they bottomed in 2015. Not too bad at all...

Old 08-01-2017, 10:17 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times
Why are you trying to look at individual people's gains instead of just looking at the actual market gains?

Take a look, it is beyond obvious that The Obama market far exceeded the trump market performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Trumps ratings at historical lows while Dow Jones at all-time high - what does this mean?-pres-stock.jpg  

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-01-2017 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 10:25 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Why are you trying to look at individual people's gains instead of just looking at the actual market gains?

Take a look, it is beyond obvious that The Obama Market far exceeded the trump market performance.
That's not true if you compare apples to apples.

Trump has had the job 6 months. So you have to compare with Obama's first 6 months. And Obama had a terrible first 6 months.

So you have to ask yourself: If Obama was so dang hot, why has Trump beat his numbers so handily?

Old 08-01-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's not true if you compare apples to apples.

Trump has had the job 6 months. So you have to compare with Obama's first 6 months. And Obama had a terrible first 6 months.

So you have to ask yourself: If Obama was so dang hot, why has Trump beat his numbers so handily?
You have really GOT to be kidding! Apples to apples? That what you think you are doing?!?

Obama starts with an economy in free fall. Trump starts with an economy on the mend.

There's the answer to your question Listener! Are you hearing me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies