Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 07:48 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times

Advertisements

Right now, there is a lot of pressure on the Police Dept.. Public opinion, the media and the Australian Government. My guess is that they are going to try to wait this one out, restrict the flow of information and slow down the investigation in the hope that the pressure goes away.

The officer may get fired but it is very unlikely that he will go to trial or be convicted of anything because there is a lack of hard evidence - only he knows why he did it and he is not talking - and because the law and legal precedent is heavily weighted towards the police.

Once again, the police will be brought into disrepute and public trust will go down another notch or two. The system works to protect the bad cops and it is the good ones - in my opinion the vast majority - who end up paying the price.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:50 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
from news today and the transcript, it sounds maybe like the police arrived and slowly with lights off crept down the alley in their patrol car, maybe trying to sneak up on the situation to see if it was a rape or a couple having sex? when the woman appeared at the drivers side window, possibly startling them and maybe the cop in the passenger seat thought it was an ambush type situation?

i don't know, of course, but it sounds like this is what it may have been? maybe?
If that's the case, it sounds to me like a stupid thing to do. I would think that a cop who wanted to sneak up on something - or NOT be caught in an ambush situation that tactically speaking they would get out of the car that gives them limited protection and vision and walk down the alley in a way that they could cover each other. Maybe this was stupidity and laziness combined.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:57 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
One of the news reports I read indicated he had his gun on his lap!

Sadly, you may be right. See news video at the 1:35 mark. She had walked half a block then around the corner to get to the end of the alley where the police officers were.

Latest on Minneapolis police shooting of Justine Damond - Story | KMSP
I saw that too. But I assume he picked the gun up and pointed it at Damond as she approached the car. Anyway, Noor has clammed up. And not much coming from Minneapolis PD either. Like exactly how many shots did Noor fire. I've heard it was two rounds or even several. Why are not the basic facts of this shooting released to the public? It makes it look like the department is concocting a storyline for the shooting so the cops can evade responsibility. In cases like this the basic facts of just exactly what happened should be made available to the public as soon as they're known. This business of dragging it out month after month with the BS line "the investigation is ongoing" just doesn't cut it.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:59 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
911 Transcript released. Justine called twice
https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsne...lice-shooting/

Damond made her first call at 11:27 p.m., when she said she heard a possible sexual assault. Damond told the dispatcher she wasn't sure, but she thought a woman was in distress.

"Hi, I'm, I can hear someone out the back and I, I'm not sure if she's having sex or being raped," Damond told a dispatcher in the first call, according to the transcript.

Damond then gives the dispatcher her location.

"And I think she just yelled out 'help,' but it's difficult, the sound has been going on for a while, but I think, I don't think she's enjoying it. I think it's, I don't know," Damond says.
The dispatcher asks her if she's hearing a woman screaming, but can't see anything.

"Yeah. It sounds like sex noises, but it's been going on for a while and I think she tried to say help and it sounds distressed," Damond said.

Damond gives her phone number and her name to the dispatcher and is told help is on the way before she hangs up. Damond calls back eight minutes later, after no officers had arrived, and tells the dispatcher she's worried they went to the wrong address.

"Yup, officers are on the way there," the dispatcher says.

Minutes later, Damond was shot dead.
Minneapolis used to be a really nice place. Now people hear animal/human sex noises coming in their windows at 11:30 at night. What has happened to our society?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:08 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
With all of that it is still the police department and the city government who created this situation. They are ultimately responsible. Law enforcement should have some of the strictest criteria of any "job". Life and death should not be entrusted to inferior and incompetent officers.
Political Correctness and racial equity is over the top in Minneapolis St. Paul.
This may be why this officer was on the force

The police department did not create this.
Yes, the city officials have along with BLM

Old 07-20-2017, 08:14 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Political Correctness and racial equity is over the top in Minneapolis St. Paul.

Yeah, Betsy "Bike Lane" Hodges is the most sickening type of liberal there is. She wears a scarf on her head when she meets with the Somali Community. So she turns her back on feminism for votes.

That city is quickly becoming another Baltimore and it's 100% the fault of the hard left turn it has taken with a new breed of DFL liberals running the show.

The day after the shooting do you know what the lesbians and atheists on the MPLS City Council were discussing? How to pressure JP Morgan Chase into withdrawing their support of President Trump. A City Council trying to mess with a bank and it's support of the President.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:19 AM

224 posts, read 134,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Of course you think your first statement needs no explanation because if you parsed it you'd see it's not the same as your second statement. Nice sleight of hand.

Personally, I think it's not a rarity for cops to shoot first when they could have waited or handled things differently, and it's shocking to me that they're getting away with this. But my disgust also lies with the media who seems to ignore it when it's a white person being shot. The only reason this story has legs is because she's from another country.

You feel attacked, which is funny to me, yet you're including jabs about my being touchy. You're the one who tried to discredit the information by saying it's from a foreign newspaper, but you already know that.

Stick to your narrative, I know it suits some agenda.
Yeah, I'd bow out if I was you too. I fully explained the context of both quotes you lifted from me, proving that the terms "rare" and "uncommon" are identical. Perhaps Webster or Oxford can better help you at this stage.

What you think is not based on reality. I gave you a link to a WAPO website. I asked you to drill into the police killings database so you can see that police killings are a continually growing problem in America. Obviously, you're still going on what you feel instead of what is.

Discredit the information? I just mentioned you sourced a foreign newspaper. I never said it was a good thing or a bad thing. Like I said: touchy!

And really? So the media is covering this because she's from another country? C'mon man! The black-white narrative is smack dab in your face and you're plainly ignoring. And yet...I'm the one with "some agenda". So tell me all-knowing MPowering: what is my agenda?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:21 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Yeah, Betsy "Bike Lane" Hodges is the most sickening type of liberal there is. She wears a scarf on her head when she meets with the Somali Community. So she turns her back on feminism for votes.

That city is quickly becoming another Baltimore and it's 100% the fault of the hard left turn it has taken with a new breed of DFL liberals running the show.

The day after the shooting do you know what the lesbians and atheists on the MPLS City Council were discussing? How to pressure JP Morgan Chase into withdrawing their support of President Trump. A City Council trying to mess with a bank and it's support of the President.
Yeah Hodges and Dayton have messed up the area.

That is pathetic That was discussed the day after the shooting. Egotistical scum.

It took awhile for Dayton to a dress the shooting.

"Bikelane" love it. That's a whole nother thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:26 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I know you're trying to move it past being a black/white issue and I agree it goes deeper than that. My point, which I still believe to be true, is that for many jurors, I think that race plays a subconscious role. Regardless of the evidence and instructions, a lot of this comes down to who you believe and whether you think someone was "threatening" or not. Which is why I said "all things equal" (meaning if prosecutors didn't provide all the evidence and provided the same instructions about not convicting based on hindsight), I still think an average white juror would feel more sympathy and be more likely to indict an officer if the victim is an attractive white woman as opposed to a black victim like Philando Castile. The lack of convictions aren't all about race, and in some cases were correct decisions IMO, but I think race does play a role subconsciously and places blacks at a disadvantage to begin with in jury trials.
Skin color doesn't play any part, subconscious or otherwise , looking at defensive shooting situations involving either LE or citizens. I would however be looking at any past criminal records, particularly for violent offenses, all circumstances leading to the shoot, the character of the person who did the shooting and for LE that's includes performance evaluations and disciplinary actions, phsycological evaluations, and other relevant dept records and the color of the individual (s) who have been shot doesn't matter.

In the court of public opinion it does matter though. It so matters to those in charge of the dept and whatever city is involved. Politics. I doubt I would be a very popular guy on a shooting review committee. I won't play ball for either team. My ruling would be objective. I recently watched a very good documentary on the 92 LA riots and how that "investigation" was handled. Wow! What an obvious paving of the road to an aquittal there. And then when things went pear shaped Gates and Bradley pointing fingers back and forth like a couple school kids in the principals office.

Having been involved in a self defense use of lethal force myself and going through the subsequent investigation I can attest to how much different it is for citizens as compared to cops. Someone very dear to me went through the same thing and she was treated pretty bad by a couple detectives involved in her case. Enough so I wanted to choked them. Women in sexual assault cases, even ones that are obvious cases of being justified in use of lethal force, have a good chance of being treated this way. I got a lot of the same myself in the investigation of my case minus some pretty nasty allegations buried in the line of questioning.

How much rope is played out for cops invloved in shootings as compared to citizens is pretty amazing. I wish I cod have had an "internal review" conducted by my friends and family. It also took me close to 3 months to get my weapon back even after the investigation was over and I was cleared. And no paid vacation. Unless you count the personal leave from work I had to burn dealing with it including travel back and forth from where I lived to where it happened. Over 200 miles round trip. LE shooting reviews have some perks for officers involved we citizens don't enjoy.

If an LE involved shooting does go to a jury provided that jury is taken from the actual community the shootings happen ed in, I don't see a Black or other person being at a disadvantage with that jury. However, such as with the Rodney King jury, a change of venue was involved. Thus the jury pool was indThe deck is stacked slanted. Let's not be to obvious in skewing things to LEs side now. The deck is stacked across the board. The case here looks like the dept is going to have to offer up a couple sacrificial lambs so as to keep the status quo from being to closely scrutinized.

Since this has gone international and all eyes are riveted on it the usual obvious methods aren't available to burn it out and fade it away. The focus will be on the dept and the city escaping relatively unscathed and the load of excrement landing on the heads of the individual cops. Noor partners statement was obviously canned. He was told what to say by his superiors. Noor himself is plutonium. Both are going down to one degree or another. If the partner plays ball he may get out with his skin still on. But Noor himself? May as well stick a fork in him. He's skinned and cleaned, hung to cure and the grill is hot and waiting.

It seems it will be impossible to keep racial factors out of this,, which I personally find to be a shame. But there's not much to be done with that. If things were played out right this could lead to justice for all. No matter the color of skin. But I'm dubious as to that happening.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:26 AM

224 posts, read 134,175 times
Quote:

Yeah. He couldn't get on the force any other way. Sad that people still think like this. And this is why that officer is going to jail once that jury uses your ideology to assess this officer and the situation that led to this tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies