Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 01:29 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,171,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackAmerican View Post
Blue Lives Matter!!
They're really in a dilemma with this one.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:32 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
"Maybe she did something to deserve getting shot. White women need to learn how to listen to authorities"

"If she complied and obeyed the law, she'd still be alive..."

"Why don't white people address the problems in their communities with white-on-white crime?"

You do know that SHE is the one who called 911 because she heard noises behind her home... right? She was in her bathrobe, and the officer shot her from the passenger seat. They had their body cams turned off. Convenient.

This isn't a white/black thing, this is a bad cop with a gun thing.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:33 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We have jobs. No time to march, nor be violent, stop traffic, destroy property, and put people in the hospital. That's the difference.
But yet, when there's a sports game that doesn't go your way, you do all of above. Priorities...smh.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:41 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
looks like the momma duck was thanking her. very sweet.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:01 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You are right it does have to do with his culture - AMERICAN culture, the culture of lust for violence and firearms and murder. There are plenty of these people becoming police officers, they are drawn to the power and control - we don't make any attempt to identify them, rather it seems the police departments value these traits.
Partially accurate. But lacking objectively. Police depts are hiring a large number of former soldiers. Mostly multiple tour forward deployed combat veterans. So it's obvious that experience in combat is a trait being identified and sought after. I disagree that there is a lust for violence and a desire to gun up and jump into the fray that is in ate with most Americans. And I say this as a firearms owner and one who does carry a firearm. Being armed is to actively avoid confrontation. Armed citizens have proven over and over that they are far less likely to use their weapons than the police.

Training programs for citizens are concentrating heavily on avoidance of conflict, defusing of situations, use of proper judgement, and judicious exercise of restraint. Earlier in the thread I described a training situation we employed in our both our citizen and LE defensive courses that we called Kobayashi Maru. After the fictional no win training scenerio in Star Trek. Many other organizations are using similar methodology. Far from advocating that people go immediately to their weapon, even in circumstances that warrant doing so, the point is to drive home that it's not a universal answer.

It is an unpopular part of the class for LE personnel. It conflicts with the current LE mindset. There is no widespread "lust for violence and firearms" among American citizens. However LE has been gearing to an ever increasing attitude of lethal force as a go to method. Things that would not have even justified drawing their weapons in the past are reason to lay down suppressive fire now. A mere perception of a possible threat can result in someone being killed. The opposite applies to armed citizens. And contrary to some statements made here the former is NOT what we citizens desire from the police nor is it a standard we wish applied in any facet of self defense.

Being armed does not reflect a burning desire to use that means. My personal take, and that of a huge number of others is that the resurrection for application of lethal force need to apply across the board. For both citizens and LE peronnel. As it stands there are two separate and distinct sets of rules. One advocates proper restraint and consequences for not doing so. One does not require such restraint and little worry as to consequences. To me the choice is clear.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,502 times
A shame but it seems like it might have been an accident. Cops are human, and firearm accidents are not a rare occurrence, not common either. As with all these victim, I hope her family gets support. Sad.

The ratio of accidents seems to be small compared to successes. Nothing is perfect.

I'll be curious to hear more details as the case continues.

The media is often off, and just searching for a headline. They don't have access to anything more than what they can get from bystanders or reported information. They do love to spin whatever they have. I know this from experience and was quite shocked at how insensitive and manipulative they can be to get the story.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:21 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times
The Mohammed has the best cop attorney already and the Somali community all ready to scream racism. No way he does a day in jail for this. He might even get to keep his job, hell maybe get a promotion.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:10 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
A shame but it seems like it might have been an accident. Cops are human, and firearm accidents are not a rare occurrence, not common either. As with all these victim, I hope her family gets support. Sad.

The ratio of accidents seems to be small compared to successes. Nothing is perfect.

I'll be curious to hear more details as the case continues.

The media is often off, and just searching for a headline. They don't have access to anything more than what they can get from bystanders or reported information. They do love to spin whatever they have. I know this from experience and was quite shocked at how insensitive and manipulative they can be to get the story.
"Accident ?" Unintentional. ...maybe. But caused by gross neligence irregardless. The very least he should see is MA slaughter charges.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,492,939 times
This is basically the standard that has been in place for other officers who killed unarmed people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The Mohammed has the best cop attorney already and the Somali community all ready to scream racism. No way he does a day in jail for this. He might even get to keep his job, hell maybe get a promotion.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:42 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
It sounds like an unintentional discharge from mishandling a weapon. She is standing next to the driver door and Noor is seated in the passenger seat. The bullet goes through the driver door and hits her. This tells me the pistol is low near his lap and he is not aiming at all. It is a tragedy and we need more information.
Yes we do, and let's hope that it was just an accident.
But something is telling me that there is a bigger problem with this particular case.

When I first heard that it was a "Black policeman" who did it, quite honestly I've had hard time picturing your regular American-born Black cop pulling something like this.
But reading the following -

"he came to the U.S. at a young age and that he believes being a police officer is his calling"
and THEN

" The lawsuit claims Noor and the other officers violated the woman's rights when they entered her home without her permission and Noor grabbed her wrist and upper arm" - this raises a red flag for me.
This "calling" of "being a police officer" can have a different meaning in a Somali head.
So let's hope that it was just an accident.
Because if it was NOT an accident, the police department in Minneapolis missed already a couple of red flags when it comes to this particular person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies