Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:27 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I am glad to see the change. Growing up in the 50s, a Jewish friend of mine was forced to sing Christmas carols at school or stay home.

Most Christian kids I knew would've happily refused to sing Christmas carols if it meant a day off from school.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 AM

1,194 posts, read 725,800 times
Quote:
What it really shows is how weak christians have become.
I hope for your sake you'll still keep that smile when you meet your maker face to face. I just wish I could see it...

Old 07-19-2017, 08:33 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Boy, that IS evil. How dare they try to treat everyone the same.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:33 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Exactly. These people were probably not even Satanists. They were making a valid argument. However, there is an important distinction they should have made. I used to belong to the Freedom from Religion Foundation, and when we brought lawsuits against the government regarding this issue, we always argued that religious icons and symbols should be removed completely, not that other religious symbols in addition to Christianity should be included. That's because the government should not promote ANY religion. Where religious displays and promotion on government property is concerned, separation of church and state doctrine dictates freedom from religion, not freedom of religion.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:38 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Please save me the "BS" spin if was an Islam monument it would still be there. The truth is the left, satanists and muslims have one thing in common they all hate christianity.
Why is it so important for evangelical Republicans to have Christian monuments on public land? Why not place them on private property?

I know why. It's all about showing the "Godless heathens" who is boss.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:42 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,990 times
Quote:
Please save me the "BS" spin if was an Islam monument it would still be there. The truth is the left, satanists and muslims have one thing in common they all hate christianity.
That's silly. The majority of left-wing/progressive folks are Christian or agnostic, and even among those who are atheist, most of them don't "hate Christianity." What they hate is the fundamentalist tendency to push their religious views into pubic policy debates - such as teaching kids that Creationism is a "science". Most Muslims don't hate Christianity either, although they do have their own version of fundamentalism and a lot of them do hate "Western values" - which happen to be a lot of the same values that some Christian fundamentalists hate (e.g., graphic sex, etc.). It is not even clear that Satanist "hate Christianity" as such. Probably many do, but most of them are basically just hedonists who resent Christian - especially fundamentalist Christian - restrictions stemming from sexual prudishness, fear of mind-altering drugs, etc.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 07-19-2017 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-19-2017, 08:46 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,451 times
Quote:
I hope for your sake you'll still keep that smile when you meet your maker face to face. I just wish I could see it...
I bet you do, unfortunately you will be wormfood like everyone else. Meanwhile, no one cares about your empty threats from your fake god.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:

Nah! Gandhi explained it more accurately: "I like your Christ, I don't like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
That's SO scary!

Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
The left is not mentioned in this article. For someone is presumably a Christian, you are far too willing to lie.

It's a consistent position that this town is taking. Monuments on public property should be religiously neutral. There's nothing evil about that, even if you disagree that it's the right position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies