Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 06:56 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,071,063 times

Advertisements

Take in mind I am not one of the people who would receive reparations. But take in mind the U.S gave reparations to lots of groups but never to slaves or even those who suffered under him crow who IMO should and their immediate children, or grandchildren (if they are dead) definitely get reparations.

You guys go through U.S history- Native American Groups received reparations
Japanese Americans received reparations.
Even Jews received reparations from Germany and Austria.

Slavery was equal if not worse than the treatment of all of these groups, Jim Crow was worse than the treatment of the Japanese Americans and lasted 20 years after it happened. In fact I think the African Americans would have been compensated by the U.S government if it wasn't for the fact that African Americans would need to be given a ton of money due to the size of their group. No doubt if there was only a few hundred thousand or million this would have been a done deal. Now Slavery reparations can easily lead to abuse, but Jim Crownto me makes perfect sense. I think a way that will benefit the U.S and help with reparations, is ignoring the family of AA who joined the military were the only ones compensated. This would lead to a growth in those willing to risk their life for money in the military and would pay the families reparations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 07:38 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
you have no idea how generational wealth, or lack of, has impacted both blacks and whites in the U.S. Your statement is willfully ignorant of pretty all American history.
Of course generational wealth is a great advantage to those born to it but it is not racial issue. The lack of opportunity for women and minorities is what prevented them from acquiring wealth at the same rate of white men. Welcome to the human race where from our very beginnings one group of people conquer, control and prosper on the backs of others.

Quote:
Enough wealth was built up that the South literally went to war to keep slavery going until the end of time. They couldn't even imagine a country without slavery.
That is just ridiculous. There was a small percentage, about 1%, who controlled the wealth and politics.

Quote:
But yeah, let's let people go a few hundred years without being paid their proper share, then tell their kids to just catch up. And then in 2017, we'll call these people "lazy" on a daily basis.
Minorities and women have had time and special considerations in the past 40 years in order to catch up. My grandparents and greats were all poor farmers scratching out a living in rural Appalachia. Their lack of pay has no bearing on my ability to get an education and earn a living. Would it have been easier if my family had been wealthy, sure. Was it more difficult for women and minorities, yes, but we cant hold the present responsible for the past, we can only work to change the future.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Ancient history. Move on.
Tell that to Relaxx. I was correcting his erroneous statement.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Take in mind I am not one of the people who would receive reparations. But take in mind the U.S gave reparations to lots of groups but never to slaves or even those who suffered under him crow who IMO should and their immediate children, or grandchildren (if they are dead) definitely get reparations.

You guys go through U.S history- Native American Groups received reparations
Japanese Americans received reparations.
Even Jews received reparations from Germany and Austria.

Slavery was equal if not worse than the treatment of all of these groups, Jim Crow was worse than the treatment of the Japanese Americans and lasted 20 years after it happened. In fact I think the African Americans would have been compensated by the U.S government if it wasn't for the fact that African Americans would need to be given a ton of money due to the size of their group. No doubt if there was only a few hundred thousand or million this would have been a done deal. Now Slavery reparations can easily lead to abuse, but Jim Crownto me makes perfect sense. I think a way that will benefit the U.S and help with reparations, is ignoring the family of AA who joined the military were the only ones compensated. This would lead to a growth in those willing to risk their life for money in the military and would pay the families reparations.
Reparations were paid to the living persons who were actually in the camps or who parents were actually in the camps. People who were actually affected by the questionable actions of the government in a time when putting American citizens in concentration camps was not a socially acceptable and common practice.

The Native Americans were finally awarded their monies that the us government mishandled.
Neither of these situations are giving money to someone because of their race or because their ancestors nearly 400 years ago were sold into slavery.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:05 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Depending on what kind of work he did for the those few hours, you should. Yet we aren't talking a few hours, we're talking over 200 years of wealth building for this country. We are also talking over another hundred years of terrorism and discrimination that kept us from building our wealth in a critical time here in America. I can't build a business today like I could build it in the 40s. Black people are locked out, and we need our inheritance.
First a technical point. The US did not have slavery for over 200 years. It was only from 1787 - 1863. The US didn't exist prior to 1787. We were part of England operating under British laws that allowed slavery and then briefly independent States until the adoption of the US Constitution. The US is not responsible for what England did no more than you are responsible for what your grandfather did.

That the US also allowed slavery once we gained our independence is our shame, as was our treatment of the black community for 100 years post-slavery. It was wrong, but for the past 50+ years the US has paid vast reparations in the form of affirmative action and social programs.

That the black community continues to lag whites economically is not for lack of throwing money at the problem. If one chooses not to acquire an education or skill in something useful, then they're going to be poor. Cities spend enough per student per year that they could fund sending them to private schools instead. The problem is what's going on in the home. I grew up poor in a large family and woe to the kid that brought home a C. There was no play or TV or anything else after school until the homework was done. My mother never missed a PTA meeting, and if a teacher said we did anything wrong, it was addressed at home in no uncertain terms. I contrast that to my daughter's experience as a teacher with a population of poor black kids. It is all but impossible to get most parents (or grandparents) to come to a parent-teacher conference. She's tried arranging sessions at a community center within walking distance of where some live and nobody comes. If she calls with an academic or behavioral issue she is often told "he's your problem not mine". Try as she might it is hard to overcome a family life that does not value education or aspire for their kids to rise above the family's circumstances. Sometimes Grandma is raising the kids and is doing the best she can but she is overwhelmed by it all.

At the same time my daughter has had poor black families that are like how I grew up. They are focusing on making sure the kids get a good education and otherwise stay on track, and those kids go on to join the modern economy. It is all in the choices being made at home. The past can't be undone, but people can choose to succeed in the present.

As a poor kid I had all I could do to go to a State college. Yeah the kids going to the prestigious schools had advantages over me, but so what. I just worked harder than most of them and did just fine.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:03 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I think the loons on the far left have had more impact in keeping black people down than the impact of slavery does.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:53 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Ancient history. Move on.
Agreed, same goes for the Confederate flag wavers, it's over, you lost, move on.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:08 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If my grandfather was cheated by his employer out of a few hours of pay, I am not owed the money.
More like if you inherit the estate or business left by your grandfather.....you inherit the assets, as well as, the liabilities. Your inheritance is via citizenship. Citizens of this country inherits the assets (freedoms) and liabilities of the nation, without regards to their contribution to the creation of the asset or liability.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:56 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
you have no idea how generational wealth, or lack of, has impacted both blacks and whites in the U.S. Your statement is willfully ignorant of pretty all American history. Enough wealth was built up that the South literally went to war to keep slavery going until the end of time. They couldn't even imagine a country without slavery. But yeah, let's let people go a few hundred years without being paid their proper share, then tell their kids to just catch up. And then in 2017, we'll call these people "lazy" on a daily basis.
Please.

I was out on my own at 17 with absolutely nothing, and I pull in six figures now in my mid twenties. If I can do it, any able-bodied person can too. Oh yeah, and I'm brown.

I worked my ass off for everything I have, and so did my husband, who regularly suffered from physical hunger growing up in a white family.

Stop acting like all white people are Paris Hiltons.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:59 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No a few wealthy planters made millions from slave labor.
As did a number of very very rich bankers in NY & London who financed the slave trade and who held shares in what was produced by the slaves.

Go look at the history of some of the TBTF banks there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies