Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:46 PM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
As did a number of very very rich bankers in NY & London who financed the slave trade and who held shares in what was produced by the slaves.

Go look at the history of some of the TBTF banks there.
Yes, it was a small percentage of various individuals that directly benefited from and made bank off of slavery. Not southerners or the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 03:35 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Please.

I was out on my own at 17 with absolutely nothing, and I pull in six figures now in my mid twenties. If I can do it, any able-bodied person can too. Oh yeah, and I'm brown.

I worked my ass off for everything I have, and so did my husband, who regularly suffered from physical hunger growing up in a white family.

Stop acting like all white people are Paris Hiltons.
This has nothing to do with reparations. This is not about being lazy. It's about blacks not having a huge financial structure that they should have been able to pass down from generation to generation. You little life story has nothing to do with the topic. I'll make it fit the topic though...imagine you put in all that work for somebody else's bank account and then that person said..."I don't owe you anything...that's too much for me to give back I'd be broke...you're lazy work harder like I did".

Old 07-21-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No a few wealthy planters made millions from slave labor.
there were whole industries built around slavery. On paper there may have only been a small percentage of people with slaves, but it was an industry and had other industries dependent on slavery. Slavery was basically a water fountain of money and the Confederacy went to war to maintain it...it wasn't just some little thing that happened one day.

edit:

http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/08/...fited-slavery/

example:
Quote:
Lehman Brothers, whose business empire started in the slave trade, recently admitted their part in the business of slavery.

According to the Sun Times, the financial services firm acknowledged recently that its founding partners owned not one, but several enslaved Africans during the Civil War era and that, “in all likelihood,” it “profited significantly” from slavery.

“This is a sad part of our heritage …We’re deeply apologetic … It was a terrible thing … There’s no one sitting in the United States in the year 2005, hopefully, who would ever, in a million years, defend the practice,” said Joe Polizzotto, general counsel of Lehman Brothers.

Last edited by 8won6; 07-21-2017 at 03:49 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Let me ask you this. I'm treading on eggshells after you were very rude to me earlier, but I have a question.
I like to be blunt and clear about the subject of race because many people on these forums like to try and speak in code or halfway say racist things so they can always pull a "I never said that"...when they're intent is clear.

Quote:
Who here is calling you "lazy"? Or your culture "lazy"?
when you see multiple comments about "you don't deserve handouts" ..."look at me I did it" ...essentially they are trying to call people lazy and they should just "work harder". Again, I like to be blunt and clear and address the meaning behind what people say as many like to speak in code.

Quote:

And then follow up question, why are new immigrant Mexicans hired and promoted over unemployed others who would like to be financially successful, and these Mexican immigrants who don't speak the language and don't have legal status to obtain jobs are not generally called "lazy"? They have EVERYTHING working against them - no legal status, inability to speak the language, arriving in the country penniless, and they are succeeding quickly?

What would you attribute their success to?

Mexicans have nothing to do with blacks and reparations. I'm not going off on some model minority tangent, because THEY ARRIVED HERE UNDER DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCES. THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING KIDNAPPED INTO CHATTEL SLAVERY AND CROSSING A BORDER IN 2017.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:36 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Mexicans have nothing to do with blacks and reparations. I'm not going off on some model minority tangent, because THEY ARRIVED HERE UNDER DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCES. THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING KIDNAPPED INTO CHATTEL SLAVERY AND CROSSING A BORDER IN 2017.
^^^ AND... this is why blacks of slave descent in America will still be all messed up and on the bottom of the economic pile a HUNDRED years from now. Just keep having tantrums and crying for reparations to make yourselves into fully productive human beings, keep living in the past while life passes you by.

Money won't buy you success in life. Look at all the big time lottery winners who were poor (and black), and see how in a few short years they frittered all their new found wealth away on bling and living large, then went into huge debt. Or all the black professional athletes who ended up destitute after their careers ended.

Anyway, tune into C-D in a hundred or two hundred years, and it will be the same complaints from the same groups of people being kept down by "the man".

Old 07-21-2017, 08:57 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,928,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Paul Congemi, a candidate running for mayor in St. Petersburg Florida, is making huge waves in the news. During a debate he addressed one of his opponent's ideologies about reparations. Saying black people already got their reparations in the form of our former president Barack Obama. To add insult to injury, this dude went on to say if black people don't like it here in America, we could all take a cozy plane ride "back to Africa".
There were no reparations under Obama. None. Just more divisiveness. Obama did nothing for African-Americans and nothing good for America. I don't see this candidate in St Pete getting very far in any election, what with this nonsense he's running on. The real issues are jobs and security, and Floridians have opportunities for anyone to be a success in life. Blacks have just as much to give as anybody else.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Please.

I was out on my own at 17 with absolutely nothing, and I pull in six figures now in my mid twenties. If I can do it, any able-bodied person can too. Oh yeah, and I'm brown.

I worked my ass off for everything I have, and so did my husband, who regularly suffered from physical hunger growing up in a white family.

Stop acting like all white people are Paris Hiltons.
To a SJW: "brown" people of ANY "race" ain't equal even if their kind have EXACTLY the same color skin.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:14 PM

224 posts, read 134,134 times
Paul Congemi should and will win! He is a reflection of America much like the current monkey in the WH and the circus animals in congress. 8won6, do yourself a favor buddy - end this thread. You can't allow yourself to be affected by what others say about black people. Since my people's land has been robbed, I would take this man up on his offer. I've never been to any country in Africa. And I know there are some stable countries like Rwanda, South Africa, and Ghana worth living in and helping in its development. But what has history taught you? The colonizers will never leave you alone. Whether it's the CIA assassination attempts against Fidel Castro who threw that US puppet Bautista out of office, to whites burning down Tulsa Oklahoma during the "Black Wall Street" era in 1921, to the current Standing Rock Reservation protests in North Dakota where the Sioux are holding onto a land treaty that has become as worthless as the promises given to all First Nation people - the colonialists will never leave you alone. So it means nothing that he's offering to fly people "back to Africa" when his people will meet you at the airport.

Do blacks deserve reparations? More than any other group of people, even First Nation people who were foolish to fight amongst ourselves as well as align with early settlers to our own demise. Unfortunately, here is the reason why reparations will never come for the black man...

Sitting Bull Lakota said: Hear me, people: We have now to deal with another race- small and feeble when our fathers first met them, but now great and overbearing. Strangely enough they have a mind to till the soil and the love of possession is a disease with them. These people have made many rules that the rich may break but the poor may not. They take their tithes from the poor and weak to support the rich and those who rule.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
^^^ AND... this is why blacks of slave descent in America will still be all messed up and on the bottom of the economic pile a HUNDRED years from now. Just keep having tantrums and crying for reparations to make yourselves into fully productive human beings, keep living in the past while life passes you by.

Money won't buy you success in life. Look at all the big time lottery winners who were poor (and black), and see how in a few short years they frittered all their new found wealth away on bling and living large, then went into huge debt. Or all the black professional athletes who ended up destitute after their careers ended.

Anyway, tune into C-D in a hundred or two hundred years, and it will be the same complaints from the same groups of people being kept down by "the man".
Now you're trying to say:
-money isn't everything (catchphrase)
-Blacks are throwing tantrums(still has nothing to do with not being paid...if your lineage was not paid for hundreds of years you would be impatient too)
-blacks will blow the money on bling(people of all races and classes blow money on crap...and you're sliding in a little racism which is expected)

again people don't come up with actual arguments against reparations just deflections. Now all of a sudden illegal immigrants crossing the border is a success story, but in every other thread yall want that wall built. lmao. You went on a nice filibuster about nothing. You essentially rattled off insults and tried to sound smart.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
To a SJW: "brown" people of ANY "race" ain't equal even if their kind have EXACTLY the same color skin.
what does this even mean? Like i told that other person...yall like to halfway say stuff so that you can always back out of sticky post. Be clear. Don't be a coward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies