Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

When Bill Clinton signed NAFTA.

Ironically it was a Texas billionaire (Ross Perot) that warned us about the dangers of free trade back in 1992.

In a globalized economy, everyone makes Bangladesh wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
yes- and Trump courted them by telling them he would erase the reason they left according to you, so here he comes, and viola, NAFTA is still here....so maybe the reason they still support him is not really NAFTA, btw- famers were one of the biggest groups lobbying to keep NAFTA....

I'm not defending Trump, just trying to answer the original question. What Trump is doing now has no bearing on it.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:15 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
so lying to you is ok, as long as he makes you feel like he's listening to you...got it...and who's the snowflake?
Since he's been elected my $$ has doubled. The reason? Illegals are dwindling and I happen to compete with illegal slave labor. I'm a plumber. His "lying" got rid of my problem. I prefer to call it a promise met.

His promises cannot be broken until his term has ended. Looks to me he's trying, I'll save my judgement for after his term. You can pre judge all you want, but be careful, that's exactly how Hilary lost. I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't actually think anyone's a snowflake. It's pretty much impossible to apply that as a criticism. Is everyone unique? Yes. Is everyone fragile? Yes. Let me know if you run into any superheros, I'll gladly let them call me a snowflake. Until then.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:16 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
In a globalized economy, everyone makes Bangladesh wages.
Which is ok, as long as you live in Bangladesh and have Bangladeshi costs of living.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:17 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
" Why did liberals lose the white blue collar vote? "
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Identity politics?
Wedge issues.

Theoretically, if all working class voters stuck together they would be a formidable force, however many can be persuaded as one issue voters. Everyone knows examples of this, single issues can be exploited to divide the electorate.

Big money needs to do this in order to advance it's agenda.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:17 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
contempt

Old 07-20-2017, 01:18 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
people hate her and rightfully so...

but how and the hell do these same people turn around and vote for Trump who was best friends with the Clintons for years?
Moderate Democrats and Moderate Republicans. Those who believed the White House needed a spanking.

I didn't vote for Trump, but, I do see the attraction to flipping off the political system. That's why nobody is surprised but the far left that America would elect him. That was the point.

Now, we won't know if that worked until 2020.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Which is ok, as long as you live in Bangladesh and have Bangladeshi costs of living.
Which we don't. The costs of essentials like housing, health care, and college education are higher than ever.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:26 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Why did liberals lose the white blue collar vote?
I think you may have meant to say HOW, not WHY, because they sure didn't lose it for the fun of it - or on purpose.

BLM, Nancy Pelosi, Code Pink, The War on Cops, Second Amendment attacks, the expansion of Food Stamp programs, Eric Holder's weakness, the DNC backing of Hillary Clinton, the admission of huge numbers of illegals, ......... Those are some of the reasons, I think.

The Democratic Party is just sort of a turn-off for those in blue collar trades. Unions like to think they direct votes for their membership, but that's less true than it used to be.

Last edited by Listener2307; 07-20-2017 at 01:54 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
" Why did liberals lose the white blue collar vote? "

Wedge issues.

Theoretically, if all working class voters stuck together they would be a formidable force, however many can be persuaded as one issue voters. Everyone knows examples of this, single issues can be exploited to divide the electorate.

Big money needs to do this in order to advance it's agenda.
Bingo.

Andrew Carnegie famously exploited ethnic divisions among his workers to keep them from forming a labor union. Today's robber barons are using the same strategy, and it's working.

Divide the working class against itself, and conquer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies