Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:59 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,718,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I saw on the news that the price of eggs has gone up by 40% in the last year and bread is also 60 cents more than it was a ago. Now thats that B.S. right there!
look at that other commodity as well pumped and refined and shipped right here in the US and it over 4 bucks a gallon now and has been over 3 for over a year. I haven't heard about any congressional hearings to investigate price gougeing by the Dairy Farmers!!!
P.S. Gas cost won't stop us from going anywhere.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 PM

54 posts, read 183,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
look at that other commodity as well pumped and refined and shipped right here in the US and it over 4 bucks a gallon now and has been over 3 for over a year. I haven't heard about any congressional hearings to investigate price gougeing by the Dairy Farmers!!!
P.S. Gas cost won't stop us from going anywhere.........
you wont hear about it either. because in the end, it all comes down to the price of oil. Dairy farmers are consumers of oil also. They are just passing along their costs.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:06 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,202,445 times
No changes here either.

We have many driving trips planned for this year, a few overnight trips to San Francisco, a few overnight trips to Los Angeles, an overnight trip to Santa Cruz and a full week in Vancouver, Canada.

I really enjoy seeing different places, and I'm not going to live forever. The cost of fuel is just a tradeoff.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,718,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josdegr50 View Post
you wont hear about it either. because in the end, it all comes down to the price of oil. Dairy farmers are consumers of oil also. They are just passing along their costs.
I was attempting to draw a comparision between milk and fuel.
Oil is pumped,shipped thousand of miles,highly refined and sold for less cost then milk is and we complain about it. I'm pretty sure far less energy is used to get milk to the consumer then fuel and yet we gladly pay more for it without complaint...

Although the other thing driveing up food cost is of course ethanol production....So maybe that cost in the cost of milk???

Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,431,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I was attempting to draw a comparision between milk and fuel.
Oil is pumped,shipped thousand of miles,highly refined and sold for less cost then milk is and we complain about it. I'm pretty sure far less energy is used to get milk to the consumer then fuel and yet we gladly pay more for it without complaint...

Although the other thing driveing up food cost is of course ethanol production....So maybe that cost in the cost of milk???
Most people could give up drinking milk, I NEVER drink milk... so it doesn't affect me. But few people can give up buying oil, either gasoline or heating oil. All you can do is reduce as much as possible, unless you live in a city with great public transportation.... even then the high gas prices are going to cause almost everything we consume to go up, because it is either shipped across the US, or oil is needed to make it. Lots of items that you never think about are made from oil and lots of businesses will be affected. So we will be paying a lot more for everything - not just gas. Wages aren't keeping up with the rising costs either...

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-12-2008, 07:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,355,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I think I better buy my airline ticket to Europe asap, before the fares go up. Other than that, will only do as much driving as absolutely necessary, maybe one or two small trips (less than 2 hour drive each way). Food prices are way up here, I just came from the grocery store and it seems like the prices are up almost every week. Guess I'll be looking into cooking with legumes, lol. And we also joined a CSA and will get weekly delivery of fresh organic produce starting in late May.
What is this csa of which you speak???

Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Not driving anywhere I don't have to. Saving my money in FDIC banks. Totally out of the equities markets for now.

I'm sitting on the sidelines this year. I think the Doom and Gloom will get worse.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,230,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I'm sitting on the sidelines this year. I think the Doom and Gloom will get worse.
I'm afraid you may be right.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 03-12-2008 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,746,901 times
We are going to LAs Vegas this summer and have the tickets already. Other than that we only go to Tybee Island by car and that is only 200 miles or so.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 PM

20,306 posts, read 19,899,417 times
Kinda makes you wonder if we should be using corn to supply our transportaion needs in addition to our food needs. Corn is a big player in the food supply.

Barring some catastrophic expense, we'll just suck it up and take our June, July and August road trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies