Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:25 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The first thing to go in a nation that is no longer free is the press. Dictators don't like criticism and prefer to monopolize the messaging their people can hear.

It seems to me that conservatives will accept no criticism of Donald Trump and would go to any lengths to dismantle the ability of media organizations to do so.

Sure, they say that they just don't like the "liberal media" and would accept one that is "fair"...which I take to mean "doesn't criticize Donald Trump."

Look, I don't like Breitbart, FOX, or Infowars, but I support their right to continue to exist, because I think that we're overall better off with a press corps capable of asking questions independent of government than without it.

I see no indication that Donald Trump has any respect for the role of a free press in our society, and I genuinely believe he would dismantle it entirely if he could. Do conservatives understand the value of a free press not beholden to a President, or do they really wish to do away with it?
Trump will dismantle the free press as soon as he's finished castrating the United States Dept. of Justice and the court system.
(No doubt alt right Trumpsters will go wild with joy when Trump makes the Justice Dept work for him and not the American people under the Constitution)
First things first and the Justice Dept is the more pressing threat to Donald Trump and all he is and ever hopes to be.
The press are like mosquitos. Irritating but not fatal.
The Dept. of Justice, on the other hand, can and probably will, destroy him.

Buddha said that the only three things sure to come out eventually are the Sun, The Moon and the Truth.

One can only hope, Eh?

Last edited by mohawkx; 07-22-2017 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 05:26 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The old reporters would go out there and pound the pavement to dig (investigate) whatever news they had in mind to bring to the public. Nowadays journalists come out of college already indoctrinated about one side of the political spectrum. Nowadays they don't have to investigate, but to disseminate the news somebody else has told, and all of this can be done while sitting in front of a computer. Once investigative reporting does not longer take place, anything can be fake news.
Like when FOX gave Trump a platform for his Birther Theories? Too bad the fake news term had not been coined already back then. But perhaps FOX and Trump where ok with fakes news back then.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:26 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
What a pile of garbage. Quoting a Russian stooge that was behind the hacking of our election and the proliferation of fake news. What those reporters have in common is that they were not Russian or Trump patsies. Anything to take attention from Trump's collusion with the Russians. SAD!

Old 07-22-2017, 05:27 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The first thing to go in a nation that is no longer free is the press. Dictators don't like criticism and prefer to monopolize the messaging their people can hear.

It seems to me that conservatives will accept no criticism of Donald Trump and would go to any lengths to dismantle the ability of media organizations to do so.

Sure, they say that they just don't like the "liberal media" and would accept one that is "fair"...which I take to mean "doesn't criticize Donald Trump."

Look, I don't like Breitbart, FOX, or Infowars, but I support their right to continue to exist, because I think that we're overall better off with a press corps capable of asking questions independent of government than without it.

I see no indication that Donald Trump has any respect for the role of a free press in our society, and I genuinely believe he would dismantle it entirely if he could. Do conservatives understand the value of a free press not beholden to a President, or do they really wish to do away with it?
Lincoln the following during the civil war:

Executive Order—Arrest and Imprisonment of Irresponsible Newspaper Reporters and Editors.

The left acts like Trump is the first President to be hostile to the press. No one is stopping the press. Just as the press can say whatever they want Trump can give his opinion also. Big deal.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:28 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
lincoln the following during the civil war:

Executive order—arrest and imprisonment of irresponsible newspaper reporters and editors.

The left acts like trump is the first president to be hostile to the press. No one is stopping the press. Just as the press can say whatever they want trump can give his opinion also. Big deal.
bingo

Old 07-22-2017, 05:32 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
What a pile of garbage. Quoting a Russian stooge that was behind the hacking of our election and the proliferation of fake news. What those reporters have in common is that they were not Russian or Trump patsies. Anything to take attention from Trump's collusion with the Russians. SAD!
I know it's really pathetic.

When you've got nothing, obfuscate with a bunch of meaningless word salad.
If you can't come up with any catchy word salad, throw out a list........any list.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
There is not such thing as a "free" press these days. Everything is about political power, and in reality the press does not criticize Democrats, just Republicans, conservatives, and libertarians. When the Democrats are in charge, then it's "government press." The only free press these days is the news articles you don't have to pay for to read

There used to be investigative reporting, but that not longer exists in the news media.
Sure it does. Don't forget the investigative piece on Mitt Romney's prep school days. Some Pulitzer Prize material there.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:34 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Where have you been for the last 8 years when the press had a love affair with Obama, and seemed incapable of criticizing/investigating him?
Remember, independent means neutral, and they have been far from that in the last 50+ years. How else do you explain the "paper of record" not endorsing a single Republican for president since the 1950's?

Sure no one wants a state controlled press/media, and the Founding Fathers certainly didn't want it. However, if the media, due to the domination of their members of one party/political ideology, give one party a pass, yet attack the other without mercy, how can you start a thread like this with a straight face?
Actually, I think you're just blatantly misinformed, quite possibly by the right-wing media that you consume. You sure you cons aren't getting biased info, too?

Obama got plenty of criticism, and so did Hillary. Don't even get me started on her and her emails; they were covered to death, rightfully so. I'm sure Obama also had cozy media sources and got favoritism, too, but it's not like you portray it. Obama didn't like the press and got called out on a lot of stuff. You've just glossed it all over based on some feeling you have and not looking at the evidence. In fact, Obama was accused of being heavy-handed in his fighting the press as well, and in some cases he was. His surveillance of FOX News was unacceptable - and I don't really personally like FOX News.

This was pretty much first page of Google without even trying much; articles from various years. Made sure to pick out ones for you that aren't from known right-wing sources. I could keep going on and on and on like this. And so could you if you did your own research instead of whatever comes through your biased media (do you even think there is such a thing as conservatively biased media, by the way?).

Riddle me this, batman: why are there things in this list like the NY Times editorials going to bat for FOX News and condemning Obama's surveillance methods?

NY Times: If Trump targets journalists, thank Obama

Washington Examiner: Reporters hit Obama for 'whining' at press conference

Fortune: Obama criticizes the media, but his administration is part of the problem

US News: Media coverage of Obama grows more negative

Politico: Obama criticizes media on "the Daily Show"

CNN: Obama unyielding on ISIS as criticism grows

Slate: Barack Obama promised transparency - he failed miserably

HuffPo: Obama Administration's Media Surveillance Unleashes Wave of Condemnation

Barack Obama's press freedom legacy
Quote:
CJR: President Obama took office in 2009 promising to make his administration the most transparent in American history. New York Times national security correspondent David Sanger, for one, says he’s failed.

“This is the most closed, control freak administration I’ve ever covered,” said Sanger in a 2013 CPJ report, “The Obama Administration and the Press.” The report’s author, former Washington Post Executive Editor Leonard Downie, Jr., declared, “The administration’s war on leaks and other efforts to control information are the most aggressive I’ve seen since the Nixon administration.” As journalists often note, the Obama administration has prosecuted more leakers under the 1917 Espionage Act than all former presidents combined.
NY Times: Another chilling leak investigation
Quote:
With the decision to label a Fox News television reporter a possible “co-conspirator” in a criminal investigation of a news leak, the Obama administration has moved beyond protecting government secrets to threatening fundamental freedoms of the press to gather news.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:34 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The liberal media never reports what Trump has done for the American people.. they are too busy on a witch hunt trying to find a crime or collusion which is not even a crime.. they have been on the same story line for months and months.. fake news networks.
um

Old 07-22-2017, 05:37 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
What's sad is that you think Wikileaks is faking these emails and documents. They're real. If they weren't, don't you think the powers that be would have produced the real emails to prove they were altered? They didn't because they weren't. Think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies