Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 PM

20,663 posts, read 8,430,038 times

Advertisements

Currencies and markets always fluctuate so I wouldn't worry. I'd believe CNBC and Fox Business before I'd believe most of the posters on this forum, many of whom work for David Brock's Media Matters companies.

People who want Trump impeached don't realize that the stock market would crash as well as the economy. The reason things have been so good is due to Trump and belief in his business friendly policies. People on welfare and food stamps don't care what happens as they have nothing to lose and will always be provided for by the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 12:06 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,982,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Oh no, the economy is collapsing

"Dow jumps 130 points, hits all-time high as second half of year begins"
Dow jumps 130 points, hits all-time high as second half of year begins
The Dow has been hitting records for years and has nothing to do with Trump. And the Dow's success has little to do with any potential recession. The Dow was doing well before 2008 too.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:07 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,421,158 times
The same people that said Trump would lose the election are now betting against the dollar, LOLZ. Still winning!

Old 07-25-2017, 12:12 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,784,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
What a dumb quote. As if the policies of others were anti-growth? And Trump's proposals have been nearly universally derided as terrible and lacking any true understanding of economic processes. Further, he hasn't been able to pass a single piece of economic legislation (has he even tried?), so the Russian investigation being blamed is total nonsense (to use the most polite term).
Well, sort of. The belief was at first Trump would push a pro-business legistlative agenda so that's where all the optimism in the commerce world was coming from. The only thing people were really scared about was the possibility of an extended trade war with China. But now he's in office and while it looks like the trade war won't happen (good) it also looks like he has little chance to get any of his agenda through besides maybe eliminating some regualtions (bad). Some of that is due to Trump's own ineptness at sheparding legislation through congress and some of that is due to the Russia thing still controlling his narrative (one could argue that his inability to shut his trap is part of the reason it won't go away, but I digress LOL). So yes, Russia shares some of the blame.

It's still not too late, if he could just get healthcare passed somehow it will make people more optimistic that the taxes and infastructure stuff could pass as well.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:37 PM

783 posts, read 572,856 times
Quote:
You know Brexit hasn't happened yet, right? It's going to be a long process, and any related consequences will take years to fully develop.
That's strange, because the media made it seem like a week after the vote, the U.K. would be in shambles and we'd quickly find out that they were right about everything.

I guess the fear-mongering just needed to be pushed back a bit in the timeline.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:47 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,731,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Great news for US manufacturers looking to export goods abroad

MAGA

Make Obama/Clinton supporters get a job again, instead of demanding a handout from hard working, productive, tax paying Americans.
You mean the fat, dumb Trump supporters who ride around on scooters in Walmart paying with EBT cards? That's the majority of Trump's base, and they're anything but hard-working or productive.

That being said, why should anyone be productive anymore? Trump isn't, he just plays golf and watches TV. The country is collapsing and I sure as heck aren't going to let my tax money pay for enriching Trump.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Well, sort of. The belief was at first Trump would push a pro-business legistlative agenda so that's where all the optimism in the commerce world was coming from. The only thing people were really scared about was the possibility of an extended trade war with China. But now he's in office and while it looks like the trade war won't happen (good) it also looks like he has little chance to get any of his agenda through besides maybe eliminating some regualtions (bad). Some of that is due to Trump's own ineptness at sheparding legislation through congress and some of that is due to the Russia thing still controlling his narrative (one could argue that his inability to shut his trap is part of the reason it won't go away, but I digress LOL). So yes, Russia shares some of the blame.

It's still not too late, if he could just get healthcare passed somehow it will make people more optimistic that the taxes and infastructure stuff could pass as well.
I'm sorry, but this is just not based in reality. The economy, and the stock market, were already doing well before January. It didn't suddenly start because Trump repeated a bunch of empty platitudes about an economic agenda he didn't even understand. If there was any improvement, it was based in the belief that Trump, as a businessman, would basically destroy all consumer protections (he's on his way) and regulations to create a free-for-all for corporate interests. That may be good for some businesses, but decidedly bad for your average citizen. The healthcare bill is the same story. Kicking tens of millions of people off insurance may be good for insurance companies, but not good for Americans. And study after study has definitively shown that corporations that receive tax breaks and less regulation do not use those savings hiring workers, expanding benefits or investing in major infrastructure projects, but rather send that money to shareholders as profit. All in all, Trump's ideas are not only bad for the very people that voted for him, but for the majority of America. His ineptness is, IMO, the only thing preventing things from spiraling rapidly, and I hope for that to continue. I want none of his awful agenda passed, and if the Russian investigation is standing in the way, I say that's excellent news.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
That's strange, because the media made it seem like a week after the vote, the U.K. would be in shambles and we'd quickly find out that they were right about everything.

I guess the fear-mongering just needed to be pushed back a bit in the timeline.
That wasn't the narrative. The narrative was that there would be consequences, with some potentially being very severe. I don't remember them saying that it would be immediate, and there was always some speculation on just what those consequences would be. I would imagine that the difference in the 2 narratives has a lot to do with what kind of news you were watching.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:01 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,784,617 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but this is just not based in reality. The economy, and the stock market, were already doing well before January. It didn't suddenly start because Trump repeated a bunch of empty platitudes about an economic agenda he didn't even understand. If there was any improvement, it was based in the belief that Trump, as a businessman, would basically destroy all consumer protections (he's on his way) and regulations to create a free-for-all for corporate interests. That may be good for some businesses, but decidedly bad for your average citizen. The healthcare bill is the same story. Kicking tens of millions of people off insurance may be good for insurance companies, but not good for Americans. And study after study has definitively shown that corporations that receive tax breaks and less regulation do not use those savings hiring workers, expanding benefits or investing in major infrastructure projects, but rather send that money to shareholders as profit. All in all, Trump's ideas are not only bad for the very people that voted for him, but for the majority of America. His ineptness is, IMO, the only thing preventing things from spiraling rapidly, and I hope for that to continue. I want none of his awful agenda passed, and if the Russian investigation is standing in the way, I say that's excellent news.
We're not disagreeing here. I did not say the economy wasn't already strong, I said the business world was anticipating some pro-business legislation out of Trump so there was some optimism that times would get better for business owners. I didn't say those changes would be better for WORKERS. LOL.

In any case, the fact there is no longer cofnidence that Trump can actually push through pre-business legislation is affecting how people are hedging thier bets about the future of the dollar. That's the main point I was making.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:03 PM

77,920 posts, read 60,091,609 times
Quote:
What a dumb quote. As if the policies of others were anti-growth? And Trump's proposals have been nearly universally derided as terrible and lacking any true understanding of economic processes. Further, he hasn't been able to pass a single piece of economic legislation (has he even tried?), so the Russian investigation being blamed is total nonsense (to use the most polite term).
Yeah, kinda my point that people clearly didn't read the article and it's telling a different story that the OP is presenting. But let's not kid ourselves it's just another brainless partisan whine-fest from both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies