Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
There absolutely should be no required child support without a paternity test.
I think ManchildrenGoingTheirOwnWay is a ridiculous organization.

But this post is SPOT ON.

I don't even see how it stands to not be a law right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
I don't think Celibacy is the answer. Keep it in your pants is just emotion talk.

I don't think MOST men have a problem to support the child who is biologically his. The topic is: Paying Child Support When You Are Not the Real (biological) Father! (especially if the man is the victim of Paternity fraud.)

In my opinion, as long as the man can prove the child is not biologically his through DNA test, he should be off the hook immediately. The law should view the child as a child without a father. Single moms raise their children alone all the time.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:37 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
or just keep it in your pants until you are ready to support a child.
+1

But for some reason not a "realistic" option for most people.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:38 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Using condoms > not using condoms. The fact that condoms fail occasionally isn't an excuse to never use them.
I am not advocating for not using them. Just saying all forms of BC have problems.

If you totally rely on condoms, what happens if it breaks?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think ManchildrenGoingTheirOwnWay is a ridiculous organization.

But this post is SPOT ON.

I don't even see how it stands to not be a law right now.
Is that not just more government intrusion and nanny state though? Wouldn't we rather see more personal responsibility than take yet another personal action and put it in the hands of the government?
Is there a reason that the person being sued for child support cant demand and be granted a paternity test?

In cases where the "father" has indeed acted as the biological father and assumed the role of biological father the courts award child support, visitation and custody in some cases. I can certainly see this requirement in cases such as the OP where there was no established relationship and the father was never in the picture or years later was charged with CS. Definitely should have proof of paternity in those cases but otherwise I can see this causing more harm than good.

I am raising my grand kid because both his parents are idiots. I have always had a little suspicion that he was not my biological grand kid but if that were true and that knowledge had been forced at the time of the divorce I hate to think how that would have affected everyone involved and how much love, memories, family, etc. may have been lost and where this kid might be right now. Sometimes if it aint, broke don't fix it.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:08 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
+1

But for some reason not a "realistic" option for most people.
not many people have sex to reproduce only.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:15 AM

218 posts, read 172,017 times
Yeah, things like this makes me glad I am with a woman I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. Scary as hell. I wonder what it would take to see mothers having to pay CS?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:19 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
Yeah, things like this makes me glad I am with a woman I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. Scary as hell. I wonder what it would take to see mothers having to pay CS?
my son's ex has a support order and she must have finally gotten a job because he's now getting regular support payments for his little boy.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:20 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
yes, exactly. The time to address this was when he was first informed about it, not to assume that if he ignored the situation it would go away.

Whether the law is fair or not is a totally separate issue, it's still the law and he doesn't get a pass because he ignored the law for 16 years.
This ^^^. The man acted as the father when he allowed money to be garnished from his wages and did not act to prove he was not the father. When faced with back payments, it wouldn't hurt any man to go ahead and give a DNA test a try to attempt to get out of it.

The man failed to do his part in protecting himself. I still say it is an "afterthought" to give DNA a shot to get out of the debt owed.

16 years is a long time. I suppose the state supported the kid too. This is also one of the risks a man takes when having sex with women that they aren't that familiar with.

Those that consider the law an issue should do something to change it, but this guy messed up not getting a DNA and allowing the support to be garnished from his pay.

The thread title is misleading. Even he appeared to think he was the father, avoided paying child support and gave DNA a shot to try to get out of owing the debt, I suppose that was suggested by his attorney.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I notice you say a fella should keep his pants zipped until he is ready to support "a" child, not "his" child.
Well I assumed that everyone realized that they could only create their child, with their own genitalia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies