Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 01:59 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times

Advertisements

If you thought the GOP approach to health care was dysfunctional, just wait until you see them try to raise taxes.

It's like this party forgot how to perform the basic functions of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 02:00 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Lots of good info. I wasn't directly in it but observed (with my head shaking) from the sidelines (was with a Credit Union & we couldn't believe what was going on).

I defer to your detailed knowledge on what caused the cluster**** (& I'm happy to see that you agree with me that there were lots of folks to blame)....& we'll have to agree to disagree on the degree of bailout needed.

I was "in it" during the S&L issues in Texas during the mid 80s (where there was no bailout....until after the fact), so my perspective is influenced by that interesting 3 year period (84-87). BTW....the worst thing that happened during that time period was when the Mets beat the Astros in 86.

Mike Scott has a hell of splitter, just glad they didn't have to face him in game 7!

Old 07-24-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I was delighted many AIG execs returned bonuses as their families, before they returned it, felt unsafe in their own communities. Was heart-warming hearing one tear up on a Ct station that his 10 year old girl could not attend after school activities and feel safe. Served the entire families right. Benedict Arnold was less treasonous to the nation.

thanks for highlighting how little you know. AIG's main businesses were doing quite well, which is why they have rebounded. One small group within their umbrella was responsible for the problem. They sold protection on any name that they could to anyone that wanted it to generate the income from the coupon attached. Would never had happened if not for deregulation allowing an insurer to enter the CDS market to begin with.

The actuary working on mortality rates or premium tables had nothing to do with it; they guy in the airplane leasing business in Asia was doing his job quite well, but again I'm sure you won't take umbrage with the deregulation that caused the whole mess right? You call AIG employees criminals with no clue as to the matter, but cheer when Trump claims to want to do away with Dodd-Frank.....

Old 07-24-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Lots of good info. I wasn't directly in it but observed (with my head shaking) from the sidelines (was with a Credit Union & we couldn't believe what was going on).

I defer to your detailed knowledge on what caused the cluster**** (& I'm happy to see that you agree with me that there were lots of folks to blame)....& we'll have to agree to disagree on the degree of bailout needed.

I was "in it" during the S&L issues in Texas during the mid 80s (where there was no bailout....until after the fact), so my perspective is influenced by that interesting 3 year period (84-87). BTW....the worst thing that happened during that time period was when the Mets beat the Astros in 86.
nice to see two people can have opposing views and discuss here somewhat rationally. apologies if I came across a bit rude initially, I've just dealt with too many mouth breathers on here who scream manufacturing good, coasts bad with no concept of finance or credit or the benefits the US enjoys with Wall St as leader of world finance, which, if we can weather the Trump disaster, should only increase thanks to Brexit.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:13 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
As i stated in another version of this thread, this would be a major gift to the Dems.

CA alone has 14 republicans many might find themselves out of office pretty quickly if CA.

Huge win for Dems and thus never going to happen. I wish it would i live in WA we have no income tax!

Old 07-24-2017, 02:18 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times
"As the GOP has gained control of many State Legislature's their policy of cutting taxes for the 1%..."

Ah, yes, the old talking point number 7.2(a) in the DNC handbook.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:02 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
thanks for highlighting how little you know. AIG's main businesses were doing quite well, which is why they have rebounded. One small group within their umbrella was responsible for the problem. They sold protection on any name that they could to anyone that wanted it to generate the income from the coupon attached. Would never had happened if not for deregulation allowing an insurer to enter the CDS market to begin with.
The bonuses were immoral, as AIG received a huge bailout. They were properly shamed into returning them.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:06 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post

The actuary working on mortality rates or premium tables had nothing to do with it; they guy in the airplane leasing business in Asia was doing his job quite well, but again I'm sure you won't take umbrage with the deregulation that caused the whole mess right? You call AIG employees criminals with no clue as to the matter, but cheer when Trump claims to want to do away with Dodd-Frank.....
Bill C's action below was IMO treasonous. W/O it, we do not need Dodd-Frank. (Oh I know you can't fault a Democrat for anything)

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...nancial-crisis

Old 07-24-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
The bonuses were immoral, as AIG received a huge bailout. They were properly shamed into returning them.
you called them treasonous....that's a pretty outlandish and misguided claim.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Bill C's action below was IMO treasonous. W/O it, we do not need Dodd-Frank. (Oh I know you can't fault a Democrat for anything)

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...nancial-crisis
except that I happen to believe Glass Stegall should be back in place.....do you? does the GOP? Do you know anything about leverage rations and tier 1 capital ratios, level iii assets? And how this all plays into the problem? How you can fault repeal of glass steagall but somehow say regulation isn't needed is quite literally insane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies