Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 02:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yeah, we had that under Obama.
LOL.

Seriously? You blame Obama for the damned depression that started prior to his election?

That's hilarious. I think this is a new low.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:10 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You could say that. It was around 20 in 2009, and well around 115 beginning of this year. Now that it has ticked up few more points, the Trumbonites celebrate it like it was the best news ever.
when you don't understand math or history it makes it a lot easier to buy the crap Trump sells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 02:35 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The micro-managing, big government knows what's best for you progressives took back over and ruined fair trade and the free markets with burdensome regulations and fees.

The nation had normal booms and busts before the federal reserve, that created the Great Depression by the supply of free money, which guaranteed bad loans.
And, you still don't know what caused the stock market crash and resulting depression. Bigly.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:40 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Where is that going on? JCPenney is about ready to close in my town. Rue 21 is closing, too. Applebee's recently closed. What's next?
They are closing in our town too. You haven't figured that out yet? Parents are powerful people who don't want bad values taught to their children. Does not surprise me a bit. Chick-Fil-A is booming around here.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:00 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yeah, we had that under Obama.
Are you referring to the recession of 2008 (if you aren't, you can't be taken seriously as nothing else in recent memory compares)? Because that wasn't Obama's fault. It frankly wasn't the fault of any one person or president. Instead, we can blame a certain economic trend that started in the 80s under Ronald Reagan. A trend of deregulation in the financial sector, allowing them to form mega mergers and make risky investments with consumer money. Eventually, it collapsed, and consumers lost almost everything. This happened before Obama actually took office... or was even actually elected. He was at this point probably the Democratic nominee, though the race could still have been going on.

And to be clear, I don't blame Reagan. Given the time, I can understand why he did what he did. The more progressive economic model had some cracks in it, and conservatives were doing a good job sewing the seeds of doubt in the whole thing. Reagan took advantage of that. I don't think he intentions were poor. In fact, if I had to blame any one president, it would be Bill Clinton, who could have perhaps started a trend of reversing these effects, but instead, carried on to appease conservatives.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:02 PM

On the other hand, there is this: along with other trends that signal a bubble of over-confidence,

"client cash levels have dropped to a record low as a percentage of total assets, according to data compiled by Bank of America Merrill Lynch. That means investors are feeling more emboldened than ever to put that money to work in the market"

"What's resulted is the so-called "Icarus trade," which has been characterized by the "melt up" seen in risk assets since the start of 2016.
But there's a downside to flying too close to the proverbial sun — sooner or later, your wings will melt. BAML sees that happening in the second half of the year as the bullish conditions outlined above overheat further."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-f...100200823.html

Old 07-24-2017, 03:16 PM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Well, my former governor and current secretary of energy Rick Perry , told us to put the supply out and the demand will follow.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:24 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,996 times
The posts on these theads are stupid as ****. American partisan politics are a joke.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
They are closing in our town too. You haven't figured that out yet? Parents are powerful people who don't want bad values taught to their children. Does not surprise me a bit. Chick-Fil-A is booming around here.
Yeah, it has nothing to do with Amazon/online shopping and everything to do with morals.

FYI, CFA has great food, which can't be purchased online and shipped via Amazon Prime.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Wait... are you saying that JCPenney, Rue 21 and Applebee's are somehow related to "bad values" being taught to children? Please explain your reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies