Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 10:29 AM

28,610 posts, read 18,647,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I covered this in Post #723. I'll bold the key sentence

Trump isn't someone that we never knew would pull this until Monday. The BSA KNEW he COULD do that and invited him regardless. Sure they would face Fox News like Disney did when they wouldn't confirm Trump would speak in the new Hall of Presidents production, but it would avoid this PR nightmare. As I've stated before numerous times in this thread, Trump is the worst example for these boys and young men to listen to and strive to be because he don't follow the Scout Oath and Law.
The BSA is not Disney, and if you've had the association with Scouting that you claim, you ought to fully understand this.

The POTUS has been the honorary president of the BSA since Teddy Roosevelt. The POTUS has a standing invitation to address whatever Scout event he wants to.

There was no way the BSA could pre-emptively revoke that standing invitation to their honorary president without diving deeply into partisan waters. It would clearly have been an overtly political act that nobody could deny.

The BSA could not deny the POTUS any more than the American Legion or the VFW can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 10:35 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,570,005 times
I bet the Boy Scouts have earned more badges in tying and untying knots in the last few days than in a year. The adults have tied themselves in knots trying to bash the President and its up to the Boy Scouts to save them.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:23 AM

19,578 posts, read 22,454,495 times
Here is an excellent response penned by a young man who became an Eagle Scout in 2015. Worthy of a read.

An Eagle Scout reflects on Trump

Just an excerpt-

Quote:
I am disappointed in the president for exploiting a captive audience of young people to engage in flagrant self-promotion and to widen the chasm of division that pollutes our politics. I am disappointed in attendees who applauded the president as he demeaned his predecessor Barack Obama (who, incidentally, was involved in scouting), his former opponent Hillary Clinton, and the media.

And I am disappointed in commentators on social media who posted horrifying side-by-side images and comparisons of the Jamboree and Hitler Youth rallies.

Each group — presented with a unique opportunity to celebrate values that should guide our nation —displayed an appalling lack of self-control.
What he says is precisely how most of us feel. My son and I included. I had breakfast with a friend of mine this morning- the President and CEO of a bank here in town, also an Eagle Scout. We both agreed and share this young mans sentiments.

In fact my letter to BSA, although shorter in length, was the same tone and tenor as this response.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:32 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,299,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Here is an excellent response penned by a young man who became an Eagle Scout in 2015. Worthy of a read.

Just an excerpt-

What he says is precisely how most of us feel. My son and I included. I had breakfast with a friend of mine this morning- the President and CEO of a bank here in town, also an Eagle Scout. We both agreed and share this young mans sentiments.

In fact my letter to BSA, although shorter in length, was the same tone and tenor as this response.
What a beautiful reiteration of Scouting values. Thank you for posting the link.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:54 AM

51,604 posts, read 25,617,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There was no way the BSA could pre-emptively revoke that standing invitation to their honorary president without diving deeply into partisan waters. It would clearly have been an overtly political act that nobody could deny.

The BSA could not deny the POTUS any more than the American Legion or the VFW can.

So instead, they've got the Boys Scouts of America promoting Trump and his mad agenda.

Boy Scouts has long had the reputation as a conservative organization. No surprise there. But it has always been non political before.

That has changed.

With all the leaders cheering and booing along with the kids, parents can't help but wonder what is being promoted at pack meetings, campouts, etc.

Declining to give Trump a stage to rally his base would have resulted in a Fox News "scandal" and several threads on this forum. It would have blown over in a few weeks.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:50 PM

28,610 posts, read 18,647,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So instead, they've got the Boys Scouts of America promoting Trump and his mad agenda.

Boy Scouts has long had the reputation as a conservative organization. No surprise there. But it has always been non political before.

That has changed.

With all the leaders cheering and booing along with the kids, parents can't help but wonder what is being promoted at pack meetings, campouts, etc.

Declining to give Trump a stage to rally his base would have resulted in a Fox News "scandal" and several threads on this forum. It would have blown over in a few weeks.

If the parents are paying attention as they should be--it's their kids, after all--then they know what is being promoted at pack meetings and campouts.

More likely, Trump was saying about Obama only what many of the kids' own parents were already saying about Obama.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:

More likely, Trump was saying about Obama only what many of the kids' own parents were already saying about Obama.
I suspect you are right.

Which is another reason for those who are appalled by Trump and his madman agenda to pull their sons and their support from Boy Scouts.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
If the parents are paying attention as they should be--it's their kids, after all--then they know what is being promoted at pack meetings and campouts.
Folks probably thought they knew until this happened.

Armed with this new knowledge, they can make more informed choices about what their sons are involved in.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:45 PM

937 posts, read 694,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
What does his business affiliations have to do with the BSA? There's no political or financial advantage.
You really beleive that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

There is hope yet. The real question is, how many others feel the same way or have they been doctrinated into the "Trump Youth" movement?

Quote:
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:54 PM

With the Mormons starting their own scouting program (teens will be gone by next year), if liberal families pull out, will Boy Scouts evolve into more of a, for lack of a better word, "redneck" organization.

In my limited experience, such families don't tend to volunteer a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies