Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 11:30 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
If you work in a field that requires heavy math skills then you require that.

I don't work in such a field. I also have worked for very large organizations and a majority of them due to the industry requirements of having to have independent auditors and we have to have a specific person on staff to review what is being audited and we hire an independent auditor to audit that person and make sure they are doing a good job.

All of us have degrees. But not all of us had to take algebra.
Where are people getting a college degree that doesn't require algebra (and even higher level math than that)?

College algebra classes typically don't even count as credit towards a degree. They're remedial classes.
I'm still waiting for an answer to that question...

Where are people getting a college degree that doesn't require algebra (and even higher level math than that)?

College algebra classes typically don't even count as credit towards a degree. They're remedial classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Math has served me reasonably well in my career, and I am not talking about remedial algebra but instead more complicated math like 3 dimensional matrix calculus, advanced statistical modelling, etc. I fully encourage anyone to not study math though, less future competition for me lets me continue to ask for higher salaries.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:44 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I was thinking about this today while driving to work. How I really hated going to community college because of math classes for a major that had nothing to do with it. I wondered how much happier I'd be if I didn't have to take them and then how that would make me feel better about my day and other classes.

I think it's sad if that is the reason but if it's not related to your major that might be smart.

I think at a certain age you should be able to look at the student populate and just know certain kids are never going to be in certain careers. And you might lose a few late bloomers in the process but overall I think you could prepare students for more important classes than Algebra.

I couldn't disagree more. Math, particularly advanced math, teaches critical thinking skills. There are daily applications of math that form the basis of most things you use. To have no understanding of mathematics is to be doomed to ignorance.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 07-26-2017 at 12:20 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Math. particularly advanced math, teaches critical thinking skills. There are daily applications of math that form the basis of most things you use. To have no understanding of mathematics is to be doomed to ignorance.
It is the descriptive language of the universe.

The only language that transcends culture, time, and space, and the only language that would be the same if it was being practiced in an alien culture halfway across the universe as it is here.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Math has served me reasonably well in my career, and I am not talking about remedial algebra but instead more complicated math like 3 dimensional matrix calculus, advanced statistical modelling, etc. I fully encourage anyone to not study math though, less future competition for me lets me continue to ask for higher salaries.
Excellent point, but then you'll get the SJWs whining incessantly about income inequality.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Excellent point, but then you'll get the SJWs whining incessantly about income inequality.
I couldn't give less of a sh** what the dumb and LOUD minority extremists on either side say.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:53 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:

The only language that transcends culture, time, and space, and the only language that would be the same if it was being practiced in an alien culture halfway across the universe as it is here.
That's discrimination against aliens. Maybe they want their own kind of math they can identify with.

#_ET's_Life_Matters

Old 07-26-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Not entirely true. Music also is a universal language, but then again, it, too, has a mathematical basis.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Not entirely true. Music also is a universal language, but then again, it, too, has a mathematical basis.
Music means subjectively different things to different people. If math means subjectively different things to different people, it means one or both of those people is wrong. So I can't agree.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Music means subjectively different things to different people. If math means subjectively different things to different people, it means one or both of those people is wrong. So I can't agree.
I'm not talking about interpretation. I'm talking about construct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies