Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 01:06 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
IMO, when she turns 18 you should give her the "college fund", and tell her "There ya go, enjoy. You are an adult now, do it your way!"
If you raised her right, she will spend the money wisely. If you didn't, she will throw it away on toys and frippery.
She will be an adult, the choices will be hers to make.
I wish her luck.
The child in question has a mother who believes that a woman who takes her clothes off for the titillation of men is a better role model than a Princeton and Harvard-educated woman. That kid is going to need a whole lot more than just luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Good point.
No, it's not. Every parent will tell you that you can do everything right, your child is still their own person. Every parent will tell you that you can't blame the parent for every single thing that the child chooses. Young minds are impressionable from all kinds of sources, not just their parents. So, no, it's not a good point.

If a kid wants to ruin their life by taking useless classes that will get them a job greeting shoppers, or wiping tables down at the local pub, by all means, they can do it on their own dime.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:22 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
In a class of 150 people, the educational experience is particularly directed by the student, not the professor.

This is not a post that suggests critical thinking or engaged reading on your part. It sounds like you listened to 3 hours of lecture a week & took it as gospel--in both courses you describe.
"sounds like"?? You continue to make assumptions about how I personally conducted my studies based on no specific information in my post and no questions asked. That doesn't say much for how you draw your conclusions.

I'm perfectly well aware of when/where self-directed study becomes the predominant driver in learning. I've also heard it used in the same simplistic way that you use it. A faculty member's value-add is a balance of educator and researcher. In lower level courses a professor's effectiveness is far more dependent on their abilities as an educator rather than a researcher. As a student progresses through their coursework the professor's teaching capabilities are less important and it is their research strengths which make them valuable as a resource for more self-directed students pursuing their own lines of research.

You're just flat wrong and it's actually a pretty hack subject to lecture college grads about anyway. We all know it and we've all lived it. A lousy prof is a hindrance and a de-motivator.

I've seen the posture you're taking before and it's usually been used as an excuse by defensive academic types who feel no particular obligation (or have no skills) to put much effort into the learning process apart from handing out a reading list. In my anecdote an American history reading list and an unrelated Marxist polemic for the lecture. Your attitude begs the question of what is the value of an undergraduate education if the key to a student's college experience is little more than a reading list and a condescending admonishment to self-study?

I'm not going to swirl the drain with you on this any longer. You clearly have some defensiveness on this subject. That's your problem not mine.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:28 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No, it's not. Every parent will tell you that you can do everything right, your child is still their own person. Every parent will tell you that you can't blame the parent for every single thing that the child chooses. Young minds are impressionable from all kinds of sources, not just their parents. So, no, it's not a good point.

If a kid wants to ruin their life by taking useless classes that will get them a job greeting shoppers, or wiping tables down at the local pub, by all means, they can do it on their own dime.
It's called general elective classes, which basically every freshman & sophomore takes in addition to their core major classes. Lol at ruining their life for taking some general elective classes. I really wish more people had actually gone to college & gotten a degree instead of pretending they know what their talking about. Sad really.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My female friend worked at a bank for 20 years. She wanted to buy a house. The bank arranged for financing. She earned twice what a man should earn to get the same loan.

Her brother had to cosign her note.

Seems like a lot of us could use some women's studies.
When did that happen?

Old 07-25-2017, 01:34 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Any time I am paying for something, I will insist on having a say in what it is spent on.
As parents we typically have the benefit of experience, greater patience and a less idealistic perception of the world. It is our job to help save our kids from making bad or questionable choices.
For example if my child wanted to blow their education fund on a field that most likely will never be a well paying future. I have no desire to have my kids move in with me because they can't afford to support themselves after spend huge money on a worthless degree.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:42 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
When did that happen?
It was back when single women could not get credit. IIRC, the 70's maybe late 60's.

But then I remember things long past. Like my mom watching tv when Obama was nominated and reminding me that when she was a kid, he would have not been able to vote.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:44 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
OP: Your money, your child, your choice however, why limit your child's experience and perspective to be as narrow as yours?

Old 07-25-2017, 01:47 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
You could just use the money for a lobotomy for your daughter and then she can think whatever you want her to think.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:51 PM

35,672 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I'm a woman, and from personal experience, I would never want a female President. I find most women leaders, be it bosses or political leaders, to be completely incompetent, and get too emotional and sometimes outright jealous when making critical decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies