Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 09:38 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times

Advertisements

Your priority should be that your children finish university and don't drop out.
Despite all the negativity, a college degree, even in lib studies, is a passport that opens up opportunities that would otherwise be closed. If it means they take some bird courses to make a semester easier then so what.
Look at the big picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 09:50 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,997,606 times
Yes it is wrong.... you should trust your child to make decisions in his/her best interest. Now in terms of helping kids with college costs. This is highly dependent of course on the parents income/savings, etc I dont believe in putting ourselves in extreme debt to pay when loans and scholorships are available. We are using my parents inheritance to help with costs of our 3 kids when they get that old. It will not pay for 4 years no matter what but every bit helps.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:20 PM

6,417 posts, read 7,243,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Your priority should be that your children finish university and don't drop out.
Despite all the negativity, a college degree, even in lib studies, is a passport that opens up opportunities that would otherwise be closed. If it means they take some bird courses to make a semester easier then so what.
Look at the big picture.
That for sure. I dropped out of Uni (politics degree) and really regret it, my parents did their best but I was in another country and just not listening to them.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:28 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Yes, OP, the best way to get a youth entering college to not study some subject, is to tell them to not study that subject. Tell them that such courses are wicked, and they will surely be satisfied and repress any curiosity about the subject.

Yes, that is how things work with young people. As Ms. Reagan famously said regarding drug usage, "Just Say No!", and wonderful results will be had.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:30 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Bumstead_III View Post
What the hell is with all the people saying it's wrong? Of course it's not wrong. College is friggin expensive and it's your money. If you don't want to pay thousands of dollars to have her head filled up with all kinds of Marxist bull---- then you don't have to.
all the proof you need why it's wrong ^^^

Old 07-27-2017, 12:44 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Yes because no one is allowed to disagree with the progressive ideology in leftist utopia la la land. You are all the proof that it is not wrong.
leftist utopia la la land? There are countless universities in this country. You people use 1 liberal college in Vermont as proof higher education is a marxist utopia.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:55 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? There are thousands of examples from colleges all across this country of leftist intolerance and harassment of people who dare to express any thought or speech that deviates from their Marxist playbook.
I would not call debate intolerance. The problem is with how hard the right wing ideology is to support using anything like reason or logic. Ignorance is not just accepted, it is celebrated. Not all "opinions" have merit in anything like fact or reason.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:57 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
My son was an adult and funded his own classes which really is the best way to go to avoid issues. But, when I paid the bills, the choices were mine to make.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:58 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
There is no debating campus progressives. There is only them screaming and acting like five year olds any time someone disagrees with them. Ever heard of Evergreen State college? safe spaces? trigger warnings? speech codes? All the products of progressive thinking.
I'm thinking you were never actually there. I was.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:04 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Quote:
At least she'll know her money isn't being wasted.

College in general is not a good use of money for at least half of the students and their families these days. The average college student graduates with something like 30-100K in debt and is lucky if they can get a job making 50k withing 3-5 years of graduating. Then you have the genuises that go into over 100K in debt so that they can get masters or PHD in gender studies, art therapy, 13th century french literature or some other useless BS major.

The OP has it right. if you're going to be footing the bill then tell you daughter to get a degree that is actually marketable and can help her get a job with significant earning potential.
I do find it hard to believe that college has gotten so expensive. As I have noted in other threads, when I attended law school at Texas Tech in the early 1980s, it cost $5.00 per semester hour (being a Texas resident). It was the same for my undergraduate degree from North Texas State University.

Anyway, I do generally agree with your sentiment. College is not for everyone. I believe I am the only sibling in my family that actually used my degree (law).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies