Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 01:36 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Yeah, I think you are a bit off here. One can be hopeless and jobless yet not take a life. There are plenty of people living in rural America that are poor and really have no way to make it out of the circle, and there are plenty of firearms there too, yet it isn't the kill zones that some of our inner cities are.
If they were robbing people for baby formula and diapers , or taking out Brinks trucks for cash..I'd buy into your thought process but the violence I see daily (on the news) in Detroit is one thug shooting another for no reason other than a FB diss, or someone is dating someone they shouldn't be , or killing a little kid because he picked up $10 that was dropped.
The reasons run far deeper than hopelessness, lack of jobs, and firearms.
Blame the implement not the culture...

Old 07-27-2017, 01:58 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think you are a bit off here. One can be hopeless and jobless yet not take a life. There are plenty of people living in rural America that are poor and really have no way to make it out of the circle, and there are plenty of firearms there too, yet it isn't the kill zones that some of our inner cities are.
This is true. drug problem as well.

It is curious that a lot of discussion centers around Chicago these days instead of Detrtoit too.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:08 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,223,805 times
Quote:
I completely agree with you on the majority of your post. As far as the highlighted goes...those sound like great words, but any ideas on what that economy of the future will be ?

And manufacturing, not just assembly jobs can and should be brought back here. You are aware that Engineering and Design are a part of manufacturing right ?

I'm currently a designer working on the interior trim for a 2021 large SUV. I am more on the engineering side of things instead of creative. Our studio creates pretty things, I make them feasible. At the moment the program is in jeopardy of being late...that is a very bad thing. It is due to our digital sculpting team (Class A surfacers). This team was once just across the campus from me, so when there were issues I would walk over and talk with them. Now it is all done in India. So now when I have a problem, I have to talk with our digital sculpting liaison , set up a WebEx with him and the sculptor in India and try to hash the problem out. It is a mess. That whole team could be right back here. The problem is, a truly good Class A surfacer used to make around $50 an hour. I can bet a paycheck those guys in India are making no where near that. A couple of programs ago, the tried a beta test, they had my team do both the design engineering and surfacing. We nailed , hit all our milestones and had parts on time with little to no changes. Guess what... that pretty much got broomed under the rug. It would put people in India out of work and all the money the company spent to set up a design center there would be wasted.

Yeah, so don't for once think manufacturing jobs can't come back, they can. It is just finding a politician willing to think about the future of our country, not just the next quarter to make a change. And during that change things will hurt. Just like it did when we started offshoring our jobs... I remember being told we are just feeling an equalization, it will stop once we are all on an even playing field. Unfortunately that even playing field has never happened.
Thank the Yuppie, who chase trends and seek massive gains.. and do not understand that American Creativity requires its own development industry and production arms, facilities and teams. they want status so quick.. they forget the things that make the environment they live... all chasing dollars rather than a full circle life... with a solid home environment, i.e. community and nation.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
California is not realism, it is extreme leftism that is hell on earth except for the weather.
If you are that ate up with Right Winger Consumption, we don't need to know..

Old 07-27-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, it's the exact opposite. We needed to ramp up the quality of education for our kids due to the technologically controlled operation of what used to be manual labor jobs. It's not that we needed fewer workers, it's that they needed to have better skills. Ever been on the floor of a large manufacturing plant, like Oerlikon Fairfield in Indiana? 14 acres, under roof. The machines that make the industrial gears, etc., (for locomotives, those huge wind turbines, etc.) are all run by computers. The operators need to know how to change the specs in the computer depending on the work order.

But nooooooo... The SJWs insisted we needed to eliminate the emphasis on excellence in our schools, and the goal should be equal outcomes which would "level the playing field" and result in social cooperation and cohesion.

Of course, none of that happened. Outcomes are even more disparate than ever, and society is far LESS cohesive.
Yes, that is true in our concepts, but those of the dominantly wealthy who make society designs, don't see it that way... they feel the general population does not need such skills, to be clerks and floor walkers in commercial establishment or low level paper shufflers.

What I meant in the frame up of commentary was.
Remember, we are a society who once Forbade Slave from any form of formalized educations. The concept was, they don't need education to be of "Service Class Function".

Old 07-27-2017, 03:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Thank the Yuppie, who chase trends and seek massive gains.. and do not understand that American Creativity requires its own development industry and production arms, facilities and teams. they want status so quick.. they forget the things that make the environment they live... all chasing dollars rather than a full circle life... with a solid home environment, i.e. community and nation.
The Yuppies peaked in the '80s when I was a teenager. The current term for affluent professionals is "aspirational class" and they are a very different breed of consumer than my parents' generation or even mine. They think more globally and eschew the traditional indicators of success.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:47 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Yes, that is true in our concepts, but those of the dominantly wealthy who make society designs, don't see it that way... they feel the general population does not need such skills, to be clerks and floor walkers in commercial establishment or low level paper shufflers.
Didn't you read the info I linked? It was EDUCATORS who had the idiotic idea to dumb down our schools, beginning in the 1960s. They thought equal outcomes would "level the playing field" and result in more social cooperation and cohesion.

The exact opposite happened. Those who had the resources to fled the public school system and enrolled their kids in private schools. Educational outcomes became even more disparate, and we have far less social cooperation and cohesion than ever.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Social issues can always be addressed. How do you fix millions of jobs gone ? How do you fix a country trillions in debt ? Hate to say it but that is the backbone of everything else. Once that is back in shape, the rest can follow.

Also, you don't even need to go back that far. Just go back 40 years and you will see a difference.
Yes... see post

Old 07-27-2017, 05:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:

The reasons run far deeper than hopelessness, lack of jobs, and firearms.
You can't solve it in an internet thread, but suppose you were born to a booze or crack or heroin addicted mother and ate a bunch of flaking lead paint which was falling off the walls (or drank the Flint water).

You would not be able to "lift yourself up by your bootstraps".....

In rural America they kill themselves with opiates and booze (there are a lot of recent articles about this). A youth in Chicago might kill someone else...and then themselves (in a gun battle...or just stay in jail)...

Anyway, this stuff has been going on forever in th USA. Slums, violence, etc.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Didn't you read the info I linked? It was EDUCATORS who had the idiotic idea to dumb down our schools, beginning in the 1960s. They thought equal outcomes would "level the playing field" and result in more social cooperation and cohesion.

The exact opposite happened. Those who had the resources to fled the public school system and enrolled their kids in private schools. Educational outcomes became even more disparate, and we have far less social cooperation and cohesion than ever.
I did not disagree with your previous commentary, I agreed, with additional elements that are factors to consider in the conglomeration of factors that contribute to our current society and its conditions.

I agree with this post also, in the same respects and with the same additional elements that are factors to consider.

We also must look at things as I've discussed in previous post. Related to Education. I am all for Education, but for Education done the right way. For starters, I addressed the mentality of the system we adopted.
We began to measure our students against Asian Nations, when their premise was based on Rote Memorization's, they are not nations where free thinking and free speech is the basis in their system. YET, we got lost in International Measurements, based on "test scores", and began to force feed "Rote Memorization" which influenced the madness of tight script lesson Plans... which ignored that we had Broad learning curves in the classrooms. We ignored all the multiple Methods of Learning. We further removed all the intermix of cultural full person educational system grooming, and became focused on STEM based on Rote processing.

This voided out the basic premise of what is unique and has been unto America... which is .. Who, What, When, Where, How, and Why and Why Not... Those things propelled us as being a great innovative country, but it also inspired interest in the classroom.

I remember when schools integrated, and black kids were not expected to know certain things, when fact is, we did know.. because in the traditional all black segregated schools, questions were allowed as well as discussion. When schools intermixed, they began to void out questions, and everything became even in classroom too sternly focused in "lecture styled teaching" ... it further disenchanted the students, because when they "ask questions", they were tagged as disruptive, and when or if they ask a "why" question or a "why not" they were considered as disrespectful, and students rebelled. they first did so by diminishing their attention because they are more sensitive to adults when they are ignored or put down for inquiry. This happen not only to black kids, but the poorer white kids as well, because in the segregated system, poor whites could ask questions of why and why not, and not be ridiculed.
The change brought "ridicule into the classroom" first against the students, both poor black and poor whites, elements of culture were voided out, for both black and whites, and the education system was still teaching a predominantly "white historical programming"... it did not know how to integrate programming.. by the time it consider to try, it has already lost many students. What people failed to understand, is "the youth" is fragile, they are at a stage of trying to learn whom they are, and how they fit in and where do they fit within society, it is a very dominating elements in the realism of what is "youth".
Our system "FAILED OUR YOUTH".

Even when such processes by the higher levels from Political influence began to focus on "status labeling" educational certifications as a the base premise. rather than understanding what is "A Teachers" and allowing people to actually "teach" !!! it pushed "status titles of degree labels as qualification" and what resulted was a teacher system that had lost touch, with what it is to be "a youth".. We even saw and still see that in the increased frequency of student -teacher sex. They lost the understanding of their roles and position. We had teachers who even lost the understanding of what is "Recess".... and they proceeded to damage an already damaged "attention span"... Teachers were pitted against Teachers and Principal were put under pressure by Superintendents, who had become more like a School CEO, pandering for the politicians, more than Administering a School District. The Board became lost in trying to meet politician designed metrics, that impacted funding, more than addressing the necessity of funding that is necessary to promote a full rounded student. Programming was cut, and the focus on STEM dominated.... Obesity shot off the charts!!!! Only at many High Profit High Income Schools, do you see a wide range of student Gym Class styled Athletics.. Most schools in non wealthy areas, you rarely see any of the fields utilized, except for school team events.
But you go to the more prominent areas, you see the old style athleticism still active within the programming.

Once all the "classroom" conflict was generated... and the students felt they were not heard, they had no voice, they could make no inquiry, they could not have the historical moment of pun in the subject material, the student felt the system did not really care, they were only following a script that blinded them from awareness of whom the student is as a person.
Then they began to challenge the Teachers, more so, on a unspoken and maybe even unknown premise of challenge the "mentality and competency" standards of the teacher, which became more pronounced across the spectrum.
Quote:
(its no different than a kid challenging their parents if they feel they are neglected, they will do what they think it takes to get attention and they will settle for negative attention if that the only kind they can get. then they become labeled as a contemptuous kids who is conflict prone.) On many campuses, kids try to find that one teacher that will talk to them as a person!!!! when they are troubled if they can, that is the only teacher they will talk to, because they feel that teachers sees them as a person and actually cares about them as an individual.
This distorted the classroom, as the teacher drilled ahead with their script of lesson plan, because "the system" mandated they cover the script and perform the test... It was not about how well the student learned the material and integrated into their system of understanding. It was about did they use "rote memory for the sake of test scores'... because "THE POLITICIANS" go lost in regulating money based on "testing scores" and began a program to equate the schools based on such. The system modeling changed, and students were and are treated like they are programmable electronic units, that deals with raw logic, those even who claim to promote critical thinking, confines it to "set models", and broad base principle association is "out the window".

Oddly, Rap Music, ( not my pref) but it demonstrate how broad and how rapid young people think, and how they see and interpret the environment that encompasses them, and they replicate what it presented. What is presented is anguish, challenges, confusions, and distortions and the young is trying to find out, "well what the heck??" ... what and where do I place my value? And our Society of Adults have presented a image and model that tells them above all and regardless of anything and everything, "chase money by any means" and engage self measure based on the acquisition of money. We have Trump, panicked out beause he can't bear the idea of disclosure of "how" he got his money. The young people see this, and to them it reinforces the "get money by any means" and work like heck to void out ethics, morality and honorability to conceal how it was acquired. They see this and its a terrible example. We've seen him go on International Stages, "talking about money" when other leaders are talking about society and its many global challenges of humanity, development and how to progress and build diplomacy that can work for many. I have relatives in school and in university, and they see it.. they are concerned. One young man that use to write on here, that goes to one of the Nations Feeder Schools for Ivy League.. see all these things and engage to research and learn, but beneath it all, he is seeking "ethical premise" and what he is being fed and given, does not give high concern for the ethnic premise, they focus more on globalist economic positions and acquisition of influences in the global sphere.

I say... we as a nation must know what we seek. and understand the nature of what is sought. We must become a nation that can and does produce 40% of what we consume!!! I agree with Trump that we must have Industry, but what I don't agree with is his thought that we can bring back "yesterday's" Industry!! I believe Obama had the better understanding, when he said, we must rebuild from the "Bottom Up", BUT we must do it with "tomorrow industry" that build for the future, and we must do it with a level playing field, which means, culturally with diversity, and economically with focus and interest and devotion to building for the aims of "economic parity" among our people.
That builds "SUSTAINABLE GROWTH" because it build in our ability to circulate our capital in our society the necessary 7 times, before it leaves one areas and goes to another, and based on maintain at lowest 40% capacity of what we consume, then when we look on a global scale, before out monies go out to foreign imports it has sustained and stabilized our system, then it has and comes from a nation of solid stature that is better suited for performing on a global stage. It's not the nature of "protectionism" that Trump promotes, is a methodology of maintaining sustainable composure, that we can be and become an effective global player.

American dynamic of economic is different than any other nations in regard of our promotion of claim, but we fail to meet that claim, because we allow 'bias, bigotry, and racism" to distort our ability to build broad based sustainability. We fail to grasp that we need to have a better establishment of what meets that claim of standards of what is America. And that means it "cost", thus so, it means Pay for Labor, don't try to based things on claims of what a lessor economic powered system can produce cheaper.
We go back to "Building QUALITY AND DURABLE GOODS" and understand that to make that work, we have to pay our people a wage to afford it WITHIN AMERICA.. as to Exports. we have to UNDERSTAND, POST WORLD WAR II... less economic prosperous nations, "bought out higher cost good, because they were of a "higher quality, durable and repairable", and we had dominant spare parts industry that worked in conjunction to commodities. Nations "wanted our goods" because they associated it with "higher quality",.

Quote:
We went backwards, because we began to pay Foreign Nation More money for their goods because we consider them higher quality, such as the explosion of Honda's dominating our Market, and in the past when M-Benz were predominantly made on foreign soil, we paid more because it was a superior product. Now, even Hyundai came into our market with under 10K cars, now they sell 80K models, and we have allowed them to produce superior quality products. During the 80'sand 90's we make pure junk!!! we even began to make worst junk trying to compete with small sized foreign cars, We ignored much, they had domination small cars long before because they purchase their fuel by the litre and we purchase by the gallon.
Our Auto industry stopped Advertising, and during the 80'sand 90 American Sports Half Time was not brought to you by Chevy, Ford and GM.. but by Honda and other foreign brands.

(example) America did not even make an attempt with the Phone Market, when these units sell for 100's of dollars, not because they can't make a profit in America.. but because they wanted to make 300 -3000% profit, and claim high wealth. But the cost was tremendous, it cost us more than we made to produce offshore.
Because we accumulated broken down infrastructure, diminished school funding, our internal cultural system crashed due to economic depletion, and everything suffered including our cities filing bankruptcy. So that 300-3000% profit that corporate made. Cost the nation 600-6000% in structural losses to the American stature, stability, infrastructure, community and system... and strapped us with 20 Trillion in Debt.
We don't know how to let go of "greed" and get back to being a system that operates with a 40-60% or so profit margin, that is ROCK SOLID !!!! INSTEAD WE continue to chase the 300-3000% profit margin at a continuing cost of 600-6000% "system loss" to what is American, its people and its Nations systems, infrastructure, cities, communities and its citizen population. That 600-6000% loss means, we should have a system that pays a living wage, in relation to value of $20-25 hr. living stand basic wage, to maintain a solid functioning system. The peg at $7.00 rage of minimum wage, is equal to that 30% lag factor in wages, which translates up by a factor of 10... which is relative to that 300% profit they seek on foreign soil production. and that means we have a society that can't afford even our rental housing and certainly challenged in our home buying stability range or our "promoted living standards".

Trace that backwards and we can see why our system has faltered and our education system is upside down, as is our concept of wealthy pursuits, ethics, values and all such things.

We will never correct this mess, UNTIL we ACCEPT that we are a MULTICULTURAL NATION, and dispense with programmed bigotry, programmed racism and put some containment on Greed, and promote a system where Equality is a premise, and the individuals are motivated to work with a sense of unity. That means we much manage what is Capitalism. It never meant every man for himself at the expense of every other man. That why we had Investment Models, such as the Stock Market, which was of design that the "any man" could invest and the point of such was to provide investment backing for companies to do Research and Development and MANAGED Growth. it was not designed to be a "Casino Game".... we have sectors for that type of Gaming in Las Vegas and Atlantic City.

Trumps plan does not fit the Modern Day America, he support divisiveness, bias, and bigotry that has both racial and religious aspects that are dis-unifying. He is chasing Reminiscent of the Era of his Hey Day Youth as a child which he grew up in.. Which was an unbalanced and bias system and being such it morphed itself to retain such into the long term progressive decline that we find ourselves in today.

The Republican that was on the platform that understood it best was "Kasich".. but he was ignored because he did not indulge in "Drama Fest" he focused on practical function. I did not care for all his postion on a variety of matters. But what his history demonstrated, was "he was "flexible" and on many issues he made the change in concept and stance to be and demonstrate his ability to meet change and change as needed. He was not one that was dogmatic to the people of screw everything, demand only one thing.... He was the better of the pool of Republican Candidates and he was ignored because big money from NRA and other fought him. Even with his aim about Teacher's Unions he had a concept, but his history demonstrates that he would accept modification and retention of unions, and Unions would have met that, they may have fought but they too would have settle upon the changes that could benefit best.
he had historically invested himself in Political Science and involvement in the Political processes. Republican Chose the wrong man in choosing Trump... they chose "Drama and the Bluster of Drama", Kasich, never once loss his composure on the Campaign Trail.... He never once got bogged down in the "DRAMA FEST".
This is why Voters should PAY ATTENTION and Learn whom Candidates Are.. and not Rely on TV Commercial of Attack Ad Programming to be their decision making process.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 07-27-2017 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies