Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 08:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I didn't hate McCain in 2008, I hated his horrible VP choice. At the time, I actually would have preferred him over Obama had he not picked Palin.
The pre-2008 John McCain was a Republican I could have lived with. Too much of a hawk for me, but smart and patriotic in the true sense of the word. But then he picked Palin and we all know how that turned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 08:44 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The pre-2008 John McCain was a Republican I could have lived with. Too much of a hawk for me, but smart and patriotic in the true sense of the word. But then he picked Palin and we all know how that turned out.
I don't think HE picked Palin. I think she was picked because the fools thought we wanted a woman. Any woman would be good enough, a token woman. They underestimated the American voters back then.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:48 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
This. McCain probably would've won that election if it wasn't for that horrible choice for VP.
No he wouldn't have. A Democrat was heavily favored that year due to Iraq War fatigue and the economic crisis that was just beginning, and McCain knew that. The thought was an unconventional VP choice would boost his flagging campaign.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:49 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
How brave, tank the repeal bill then go to the hospital while the republicans are left to clean up the mess.

Meanwhile people are stuck paying the individual and employer mandates/taxes. Mitch gave it a good try, now it's time to move on. Call it murchoskycare or McCaincare now
He is brave and don't forget it- this mess was ALWAYS republican and if passed would have been a bigger mess- they need to do what they should have done years ago-- SAT DOWN TOGETHER and work it the ---- out!

Old 07-28-2017, 08:49 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't think HE picked Palin. I think she was picked because the fools thought we wanted a woman. Any woman would be good enough, a token woman. They underestimated the American voters back then.

Exactly!

Sadly and right or wrong the "Establishment" of the GOP party controlled the shots then and to some extent now; but obviously with the election of DT that has changed.

In any event The Establishment thought the GOP needed to get with it and hip to the times, so they imposed Sarah Palin on John McCain. She was to be his antidote to Hillary Clinton and the best the GOP could do at the time for a "minority". The latter because you know the powers that be in the GOP were not going to let an African American or Latino-Hispanic man slide in there for VP.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:52 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Yep, if The Donald were a man of integrity he wouldn't be waiting for Congress to pass a "mean" bill he would be promoting a strong , brilliant plan that resembled his campaign promises.

Instead, he is golfing and hobnobbing every weekend on the taxpayer dime.

If Trump promoted a plan that was actually better than Obamacare, he could easily get a majority of republicans AND Democrats to make it law! Absolutely no excuses. His hands are not tied, he just doesn't have that sort of greatness in him.
Truer words never spoken.

Unfortunately both houses of Congress effectively operate under the "Hastert Rule".

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
LOL at all the liberal lovefest for McCain now. You all hated him in 2008. Bunch of phonies. Again.
Questioning someone's judgement is not the same at hating them.
Letting himself be talked into Palin for VP was not his finest moment.

But, Sen. McCain was the only GOP candidate to stand up to someone who claimed that Obama is a Muslim.
And similar to that campaign exchange, he again stood up to the hucksters who would sell their mother for a bigger tax cut because he knew that the plan is BS, just like that woman's beliefs.

Nope, no hate for him whatsoever.

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think Steve Schmidt was the one who convinced McCain to choose her.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:55 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
McCain is about 4 times the man you are. He flew tons of missions and, after captured, endured daily torture that would have killed most men. Then he came home and went to work serving his country in politics.

You have a lot of room to say one word about John McCain, but it just shows how low your side goes to support a man who avoided serving his country because of a "bad heel", and a rich daddy. You should be truly ashamed of those remarks.

What have you done to serve your country ?
phma may be Trump himself.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:56 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I started liking him when Trump said he was "weak" for getting captured. Held as a prisoner of war = weak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies