Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:24 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,466,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I would say that coach Belichick of the Patriots would not stand for this nonsense.
If he had a player take a knee during the anthem it is a guarantee that he would have that player take a seat on the bench for the game.
He once sat out a guy who was late for practice even though the guy had set a record for rushing yards the week before.

If I was the owner or coach I would tell my players that if they wanted to protest on their time they are free to do so but at games and practice you are on the clock and being paid very well to do a job.

The anthem is less than 2 minutes long and that time should be used to sing along or quietly reflect on our great country that allows so many to fulfill their dreams while others have paid the ultimate price to keep it Free.

I guess you were wrong. Well you are now free not to be a NE Patriots fan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/24/o...e.html?mcubz=0

Old 09-25-2017, 10:25 AM

33,507 posts, read 18,036,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Rs are forever carrying on about getting the government out of your private business, then butts into your private business over abortion, smoking marijuana, who uses which bathroom, whether football players stand or take a knee before the game ...
Who pushed for abortion . Who is pushing for the legalization of marijuana, or pushing for transgenders to use the bathroom? You got it backwards. You lefties are pushing for your agendas creating big government.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 AM

29,457 posts, read 22,412,699 times
My money is on the armchair activist overpaid babies kneeling during the anthem.

How 'brave' of them.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...azy-comparison

Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,965,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
For example?
I don't know. Maybe use their celebrity to highlight their cause, go into the communities and help etc... buy airtime and run commercials asking for unity.. anything BUT disrespecting our national anthem and our country as a whole. I am sure there are many aspects of our country these people like so to ignore the reasons you love it and just focus on what you hate is not helpful.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:28 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,261,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
By some of these polls there are a couple of things that can predict where you stand on this issue

If you are older or white kneeling during the anthem is most likely offensive, if you are old and white it certainly is

If you are younger or black kneeling is not offensive, if you are younger and black it's certainly not

Kneeling or any other form of peaceful protest is 100% within your rights as an American which is part of the reason the military fights for. It's very simple and not something you can really argue
How is that any one of us protesting during our jobs would probably get fired?

A lot of us don't have an issue with the protest but more with how they do it. I don't want to pay money to see an athlete, singer, comedian using their time to voice their political views. Do it on your own time like the rest of us.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:30 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,491,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I guess you were wrong. Well you are now free not to be a NE Patriots fan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/24/o...e.html?mcubz=0
Just as a FYI, the Pats got a fair amount of boos from their fans in their stadium due to it.

If this continues, it's going to hurt the NFL.

If their owners were smart, they'd keep their teams in the locker rooms until after the anthem.

I think some owners are more concerned about what the press and friends at parties might say than a substantial number of the fans.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:32 AM

26,175 posts, read 21,433,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
How is that any one of us protesting during our jobs would probably get fired?
Couple of things. 1. That between you and your employer however the NFL/teams aren't firing people so different employer different rules 2. Does your employer play the anthem daily and require you to stand

Quote:
A lot of us don't have an issue with the protest but more with how they do it. I don't want to pay money to see an athlete, singer, comedian using their time to voice their political views. Do it on your own time like the rest of us.
Your right is with your dollars, don't like it? Don't pay. It's that simple

Old 09-25-2017, 10:33 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,258,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You don't fire them - you fine them and then give the money to a Veteran's charity group.

Why? You seem to have issue with the 1st amendment--which is what veterans fight for.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:35 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,258,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The players' signed on to play football.

Perhaps they could hire less expensive folks to salute the flag and kiss Trump's ***.

Cult 45 does it for free...well, some of them do.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:35 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,491,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Does your employer play the anthem daily and require you to stand
How many work days a week do the NFL owners play the anthem?

My guess would be once a week with five days of not playing it (assuming players get one day off during the season).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies