Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
WH is refusing to provide the documents Congressional committees are requesting.

Bet it won't be long before we'll have bigger fish to fry than whether football players, coaches, and owners are telling Trump to go to hell.
You expect a lot.

Clinton set the standard for documents, "Sorry, those were destroyed and the devices were pounded with hammers."

That set the stage for being allowed to destroy documents and not cooperate. The genie is out of the bottle.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:58 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Roger Goodell has no power to decide who starts and who rides the bench. Any owner can tell the coach to sit a player without even giving a reason. An owner can even tell the front office which free agent players to pass on for trades. Ultimately, it comes down to each owner.

Never said he did. This was in response to someone who said the protest could violate best interests of the sport. Which Goodell must certainly rules over. As far as owners I know a number have already publicly sided with the players.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
The game hasn't started yet so the players are not actually "on the clock" yet.
Yes they are. They are fined for arriving late. They are fined for missing the bus or plane for team travel.

Guess what, they are even on the clock at practice and team meetings.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Never said he did. This was in response to someone who said the protest could violate best interests of the sport. Which Goodell must certainly rules over. As far as owners I know a number have already publicly sided with the players.
The protests are hurting the NFL. We just don't know to what degree and for how long.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:00 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Do they kneel at one specific part of the national anthem that they are protesting against or the whole song? Again, I believe its in poor choice to protest the national anthem. Its too broad and can easily be seen as disrespecting our country and EVERYTHING it stands for.
You agree with the move. Good for you. You kneel and I will stand proudly. Police brutality and discrimination will not be solved by disrespecting the country which gives you freedom.
While I am against both, I will continue to do my part by raising my children to respect all people equally. I will continue to volunteer and donate during the holidays for less fortunate children so they can have presents to open and feel worthy... I will continue to do what I feel may help our future generations erase discrimination.
I will always stand during the national anthem.
I've really got to be signing off, because I've wasted far more time here again this morning, and my patience is wearing thin. On the other hand, I appreciate what sometimes feels like an honest exchange in an effort to better get at our differences...

I can hardly imagine what difference it makes who is doing what during the national anthem. Some are looking at the ground trying to remember their plays. Some are looking up into the sky as if wishing they were somewhere else. Some are picking their nose in the stands, and some are acting like whack-offs with paint all over their face...

Who cares? We're all just waiting for the kick-off if it's the game you're interested in watching. The cheerleaders are pretty too, but really? Who cares?!?

You put a lot of emphasis on what you think is poor choice, but that's not the issue here. Obviously, when kaepernick first thought to take a knee, he had a lot more on his mind and in his heart than just how appropriate or appreciated his act would be to some who he knew would obviously not approve.

You/others, obviously believe these symbols of nationalism, representing our pride in being Americans should somehow be outside the realm of political discourse. Others like me are entirely proud to be American in general, not so proud about all things America, and no American is! You may not like I protest what I think is wrong in the way I do. Of course, but you should certainly understand and appreciate my right to do so, because that is one of the most fundamental important things that anthem, that flag, our country truly represents!

If we can't distinguish between these important aspects of what makes us Americans versus what makes for fascist nationalism, we diminish what I believe America represents. That's why I support these protesters even when what they do is not altogether appreciated or appropriate according to me or you.

"Police brutality and discrimination will not be solved by disrespecting the country which gives you freedom." I totally agree! Protesting is not "disrespecting the country" even if the protest involves burning the flag!

Not as far as I'm concerned and not as far as our constitution is concerned and not as far as our Supreme Court of the United States is concerned, so with all due respect to how and why you disagree or don't understand, I believe I've got an awfully good reason to feel more right and justified about my opinion about this than you can about yours.

Stand, sit or do whatever you want to do with your time at the game or off. That's your right because it IS a free country! For all other Americans too, whether you think them appropriate or not!

At least please, enough, with equating such acts as disrespecting the entire country and all it stands for. The NFL and for the most part all the players have done more than most forms of entertainment - you or me - to represent the country in a positive light. In many cases they represent America at the olympics! To disparage their want to communicate an important message, about injustice or wrong-doing in America, is a patriotic act! Not the other way around.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:01 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what part of what he said was not the truth? are you afraid of the truth? do you think that all black people should think the same way all the time?

i enjoy the fact that he is speaking out and thinking with his own mind instead of the typical group think position.
the topic has been done to death so hopefully I don't get too wrapped up here. But just because a black person has a little NFL money doesn't mean they are immune to white supremacy. And it doesn't mean they have to give up ties to working class blacks. Sadly, sports is like the only chip on the table for blacks to use a leverage. And its still a small leverage. We saw change happen at Mizzou when most of the black players on the football threatened to sit out. We see here that all these rich athletes, still got had POTUS call them SOB's for exercising a right. When the POTUS basically says, you should be fired for peacefully exercising a right, at some point many of these black men remember that at the end of the day this is what America sees them as. Many of these black men have friends and family that are not rich and still live in working class black areas and deal with police harassment daily. So yeah, what truth? We're really dealing with peacefully being quiet and people it's drawing out more racists that violent protests. Let that sink in.

Anyways TLR....money doesn't buy you an oppression pass. Many of these guy are a knee injury away from being back on the street.

Anyways, he gave his opinion. He gave the same b-s opinions people give on here daily with theirfake outrage about "disrespecting" a piece of cloth and a song. The point OP was making is, "well it's coming from a black guy so I can't be racist". It's a pointless thread altogether.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:01 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
https://www.waynedupree.com/jerry-jo...them-protests/

Old 09-25-2017, 01:02 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Again, they play in pink often to raise awareness for breast cancer on the field. They play with ribbons to raise awareness for autism on the field. They play with "play 60" patches to advocate for youth to be more active. The NFL and the players often use the public stage to advocate for those they feel need advocating for.

The ONLY difference here is that you are uncomfortable with and do not support THIS cause, which is to make aware the situation of police killing innocent black males and getting away with it in this country.

Why are you so against this cause and not the others they advocate for?
Now that's the $60 million question, isn't it?

Old 09-25-2017, 01:04 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
the topic has been done to death so hopefully I don't get too wrapped up here. But just because a black person has a little NFL money doesn't mean they are immune to white supremacy. And it doesn't mean they have to give up ties to working class blacks. Sadly, sports is like the only chip on the table for blacks to use a leverage. And its still a small leverage. We saw change happen at Mizzou when most of the black players on the football threatened to sit out. We see here that all these rich athletes, still got had POTUS call them SOB's for exercising a right. When the POTUS basically says, you should be fired for peacefully exercising a right, at some point many of these black men remember that at the end of the day this is what America sees them as. Many of these black men have friends and family that are not rich and still live in working class black areas and deal with police harassment daily. So yeah, what truth? We're really dealing with peacefully being quiet and people it's drawing out more racists that violent protests. Let that sink in.

Anyways TLR....money doesn't buy you an oppression pass. Many of these guy are a knee injury away from being back on the street.

Anyways, he gave his opinion. He gave the same b-s opinions people give on here daily with theirfake outrage about "disrespecting" a piece of cloth and a song. The point OP was making is, "well it's coming from a black guy so I can't be racist". It's a pointless thread altogether.
Exactly.

Don't even need a knee injury to be back on the street and harassed for being black.

Happened to a football player just the other day.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:05 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've really got to be signing off, because I've wasted far more time here again this morning, and my patience is wearing thin. On the other hand, I appreciate what sometimes feels like an honest exchange in an effort to better get at our differences...

I can hardly imagine what difference it makes who is doing what during the national anthem. Some are looking at the ground trying to remember their plays. Some are looking up into the sky as if wishing they were somewhere else. Some are picking their nose in the stands, and some are acting like whack-offs with paint all over their face...

Who cares? We're all just waiting for the kick-off if it's the game you're interested in watching. The cheerleaders are pretty too, but really? Who cares?!?

You put a lot of emphasis on what you think is poor choice, but that's not the issue here. Obviously, when kaepernick first thought to take a knee, he had a lot more on his mind and in his heart than just how appropriate or appreciated his act would be to some who he knew would obviously not approve.

You/others, obviously believe these symbols of nationalism, representing our pride in being Americans should somehow be outside the realm of political discourse. Others like me are entirely proud to be American in general, not so proud about all things America, and no American is! You may not like I protest what I think is wrong in the way I do. Of course, but you should certainly understand and appreciate my right to do so, because that is one of the most fundamental important things that anthem, that flag, our country truly represents!

If we can't distinguish between these important aspects of what makes us Americans versus what makes for fascist nationalism, we diminish what I believe America represents. That's why I support these protesters even when what they do is not altogether appreciated or appropriate according to me or you.

"Police brutality and discrimination will not be solved by disrespecting the country which gives you freedom." I totally agree! Protesting is not "disrespecting the country" even if the protest involves burning the flag!

Not as far as I'm concerned and not as far as our constitution is concerned and not as far as our Supreme Court of the United States is concerned, so with all due respect to how and why you disagree or don't understand, I believe I've got an awfully good reason to feel more about my opinion here than you can about yours.

Stand, sit or whatever you want to do with your time. That's your right because it IS a free country! For all other Americans too, whether you think them appropriate or not!

At least please, enough, with equating such acts as disrespecting the entire country and all it stands for. The NFL and for the most part all the players have done more than most forms of entertainment - you or me - to represent the country in a positive light. In many cases they represent America at the olympics! To disparage their want to communicate an important message, about injustice or wrong-doing in America, is a patriotic act! Not the other way around.

I agree with most of what you said. I always have stated that I do not believe anyone should be fined or fired because its within their right.
I actually have thought about the next Olympics and if this form of protest is going to turn into athletes refusing to go represent our country in "protest"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies