Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 04:29 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,326,023 times

Advertisements

The kind of world where you can kneel for God but if done for the flag people go haywire that it isn't good enough.

Then in some other thread complain about snowflakes

Old 09-25-2017, 04:32 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,051,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
The kind of world where you can kneel for God but if done for the flag people go haywire that it isn't good enough.

Yes, politizing sports and kneeling to promote total lies tends to frustrate people

Old 09-25-2017, 04:32 PM

51,588 posts, read 25,543,954 times
Steelers' Military Vet Who Stood For Anthem APOLOGIZES: 'I Made My Teammates Look Bad' | Daily Wire

Man served three tours in Afghanistan. He can stand, kneel, or lay on the bench as far as I'm concerned.

Ain't nobody gonna question his patriotism.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:33 PM

11,571 posts, read 5,622,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You would be wrong. I did offer my opinion with Eastwood. I don't know, or don't remember what Heston might have said, and in fact, in the very post of mine that you quoted, I offered my opinion about President Trump. I said I disagree with him, but commend him for standing his ground.

Eastwood, Trump, Heston, and even Ted Nugent have the right to say whatever they want, as long as it does not violate any laws (such as hate crimes), and I support their right to do so. I can disagree with their words, and still support their right to say it.

Out of curiosity, your knowledge of what I say in my own time is alarming. Have you been stalking me for years? Should I be worried? How do you know what I've said about Eastwood? Yikes!

EDIT: Here is my quote about Trump:
As for President Trump: I applaud him for speaking his mind, and holding an unpopular thought. I think he is 100% wrong, and in fact I think his sentiment is far more unAmerican than the players. That said, I support his right to say so too, and applaud him for speaking his mind. I hope a lot of people agree with me, and will speak with their vote. We can do better than this.
^^I wrote that before your misinformed, untrue comment. Have edited nothing other than to add the quote.
Oh please - you aren't worth my time to stalk you - I wasted enough time responding to you.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:34 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,326,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Yes, politizing sports and kneeling to promote total lies tends to frustrate people
If kneeling offends folks so much then they should try and not be oversensitive *****.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:35 PM

11,571 posts, read 5,622,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Our nation started with a protest in the Boston harbor. Protesting is at the heart of who we are.

Or as as Dale Earnheart Jr. tweeted:

All Americans R granted rights 2 peaceful protests
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable-JFK

Trump and his followers are the ones working to destroy American values and culture.
They are welcome to have a peaceful protest - just not on the time they are being paid millions to do their job. Stay in the dugout, locker room - what ever - do not disgrace all those veterans that fought so you have the ability to have your peaceful protest.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:35 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,229,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

his teammates made themselves look bad by not joining him....................Ben his QB said he felt bad and couldn't sleep........too late Ben.......Steelers head coach is an a-hole.

Ben Roethlisberger Regrets Steelers Boycotting Anthem; Trump Supports Fan Boos | Hollywood Reporter

Old 09-25-2017, 04:36 PM

42,748 posts, read 25,952,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Dis-Respecting the United States Flag and National Anthem IS "his business" (it's also US Code) -- I just hope he doesn't go hog wild and start calling Police Officers "stupid".
OMG, there is no "US Code" that makes it illegal to not stand up during the National Anthem

Old 09-25-2017, 04:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,659,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This is BS.

Trump is not an individual, a private citizen these days.

He is POTUS, God help us, and he is a POTUS 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sadly.
so then in your mind trump no longer has a right to free speech just because he is the president?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem is that I find that Trump forced this issue. Only a few players were kneeling prior to the Trump comments. Now more teams than individual players in a single day knelt down. See the issue? Before Trump said it, it was basically a non-issue.
but you forget that this was a growing issue, and would still be growing whether trump said anything or not. as for it not being an issue, that is rubbish, the fans were getting sick and tired of players kneeling in protest during the national anthem. all trump did was bring everything out in the open.

reality check for you, the NFL is losing fans, and viewership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
the game operations manual isn't the rule book. One of my posts addressed this. And the NFL has stated they are not required to stand.
so then ANYTHING in the game operations manual can be completely ignored, got. next time goodell decides to punish a player or team for something in the operations manual, the team can tell him to bugger off. excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh well, now he's out of a job. Real smart.
for now, but i suspect that someone will hire him on because of his stand on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
The biggest thing I've noticed is people saying these "over privileged" athletes shouldn't do what they're doing, because they're wealthy.

Two things:

Do people forget these professional athletes are still human beings with emotions, opinions and views? They were "normal" before they became pro athletes, FYI. Pro athletes have the ability to bring more attention and money to causes they and regular people care about, and bring more attention to those matters than any normal person could.

Do Trump supporters forget that they voted for Trump because, despite being "privileged", he could relate to issues of the regular guy ()?

Talk about moving goalposts, but what else is new.
i do agree with you that these pro athletes do have feelings and opinions.

and i do agree that these players can bring money and and attention to these causes, and that can be a very good thing. its not what they are trying to do, its HOW they are doing it. if there is a cause you want to get out in front of the public, you dont start by insulting the public at large. and that is what these guys are doing with their kneeling for the national anthem. the fans of these guys are going to rebel against what they are doing.

as i have said many many times, they have a right to protest in any peaceful manner they choose. in this case they have chosen the WRONG manner. they are alienating the very people they need on their side. these guys have the necessary star power to get out on the talk show circuit and the hews show circuit and get out the message that they feel that many in this country are still being oppressed, and that something needs to be done. and with their fan base, they could have had more than half the country supporting these guys. instead they are now losing fans, the NFL is losing viewers, etc. fo news just showed a video made by a steelers fan who was a long time steelers fan burning all the memorabilia he had acquired over time.

this kind of protest the players are doing is backfiring on them, and unless they stop it, they are going to harm the league, as well as their team and their selves in the long run. even now some fans are wondering if the oakland offensive line, one of the best in football, didnt protect derick carr like they should have because carr didnt kneel for the anthem when many of the rest of the team did. i hope they are not that unprofessional, but if they are, i wouldnt blame carr for looking to get released from the team and go somewhere else.

so where does it end? with the NFL popularity in ashes? are they going to lose viewership to nascar whose team owners have said publicly that they will FIRE ANY crew men or drivers who dont stand for the national anthem. and while there are those, dale earnhardt jr for isntance, that will break ranks with the sentiment, i dount that jr will risk losing his ride for the rest of the season even though he is retiring at the end of the season. jr does want to leave and retain the respect he has earned over the years intact.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:37 PM

42,748 posts, read 25,952,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
They are welcome to have a peaceful protest - just not on the time they are being paid millions to do their job. Stay in the dugout, locker room - what ever - do not disgrace all those veterans that fought so you have the ability to have your peaceful protest.
The idea that veterans are being 'disgraced' is a figment of the right's imagination, when they have nothing else they pull out the veteran card, never fails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies