U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 AM

1,674 posts, read 998,047 times

Advertisements

This guy stated it very well.
Blog: After fifty years of NFL, it?s over for me

Old 09-26-2017, 08:34 AM

12,206 posts, read 8,797,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech...
BUT
No company nor institution is bound by that restriction.
They can surely fire / dismiss any employee whose behavior does harm to the company / institution.
Yes they can

Old 09-26-2017, 08:34 AM

9,005 posts, read 3,536,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The games are sold out. Very few people have their minds so wrapped up in politics that they'd give up doing something they have enjoyed doing all their lives just to appease the person in the white house. What we are seeing right now is PC on steroids. America will be America again with football Sundays and all, as soon as the fool leaves the WH.
Could you really misunderstand that badly? People aren't going to stop supporting the NFL just to please Trump. It runs much deeper than that. They'll stop because the players have ruined the illusion. It is impossible now for many to see them as admirable figures, or even cheer for them at all. They've gone from heroes to a-holes in the eyes of a large segment of their fan base.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:36 AM

4,724 posts, read 8,966,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech...
BUT
No company nor institution is bound by that restriction.
They can surely fire / dismiss any employee whose behavior does harm to the company / institution.
Very true....

I dont see a problem personally with any of this..... but the employers can do as they wish discipline wise. Free speech is supported without interference from the government, but that doesnt mean the medium used for that speech (or text) or their work cannot discipline. Right now the NFL ops game manual does not require standing for the anthem. It is a should practice.... I dont see any issues with standing, kneeling, etc as long as you respectful, which to be is to avoid being on the phone, talking. But I also dont see an issue with a team owner wants to make his/her own rules on this matter.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:36 AM

36,702 posts, read 37,479,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
No Real Fans are walking away from the sport over this,....
I watched every Eagles game during the Rich Kotite years, by default that makes a me a "real fan".

Old 09-26-2017, 08:38 AM

5,220 posts, read 2,942,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You have that backwards. The slap in the face is to attempt to deny Americans the right to protest their government. That's what vets and active duty military are there to protect--the basic rights and concepts this country was founded on.

Faux patriots just can't seem to grasp that concept. It's not about respecting a song or a piece of cloth, it's about respecting and protecting the ideals and principles behind that anthem and piece of cloth.

I know, I know, that's much too nuanced for the rah-rah crowd to comprehend.
They can do it on their own damn time!
They signed a contract with all the fixings and rules the fans pay their wages so get that straight.
Fans need a Union!
Stop Going! Stop Watching! Stop Buying Sponsored Products!
Boycott!

Old 09-26-2017, 08:38 AM

57,239 posts, read 31,024,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Could you really misunderstand that badly? People aren't going to stop supporting the NFL just to please Trump. It runs much deeper than that. They'll stop because the players have ruined the illusion. It is impossible now for many to see them as admirable figures, or even cheer for them at all. They've gone from heroes to a-holes in the eyes of a large segment of their fan base.
You're not fooling anyone. Less than a week ago Trump told his supporters to stop going to the games, and here you are doing just that.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:40 AM

57,239 posts, read 31,024,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
They can do it on their own damn time!
Protest when no one is watching

What a great idea

Of course they do it when people are watching. That's the whole point.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:40 AM

1,504 posts, read 707,083 times
I'm sure everyone who is outraged is standing up at home when the anthem is played???

Old 09-26-2017, 08:41 AM

11,035 posts, read 6,179,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I agree. When politics aren't involved player xyz could be your absolute favorite/hero/role model despite being diametrically opposed politically. Of course you could probably do some digging and find something on star players, but now it's right in front of your face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or