Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:15 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I guess vets can disagree, my husband is a retired marine who served two tours in Vietnam, he said he fought so that people would have the right to protest.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are right, there are many times when kneeling is not being disrespectful. kneeling to pray, when meeting a monarch, the pope or cardinals, or many other times, like proposing to your possible future wife. but if kneeling for the national anthem was not being disrespectful then why doesnt the military kneel at that time? can you see a company of marines in their dress blues at a flag ceremony kneeling? no they stand at attention and salute.
Because someone does not always do something, does not make something else, something it is not. One can stand and pray. The pastor does it during every service. Does that make kneeling disrespectful? No it doesn't.

Kneeling has NEVER under any circumstance been considered disrespectful.

Quote:
when you kneel when the national anthem is being played, you are in effect sticking your middle finger out at the rest of the country, and yelling at the top of your lungs FU!! that is my opinion, and the opinion of a huge majority of americans.
Outside of the fact that no one did that. If that is what one wanted to do, they could do that. There is nothing stopping them.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:19 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Doubt it, but he did own a SUCKY football team for a short time. Another of his FAILED business ventures!

Donald Trump’s Less-Than-Artful Failure in Pro Football
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/20/s...-football.html
Businessmen like Trump that are willing to take risks are going to have a long list of failures in their portfolios. You don't measure them by their failures alone, you have to weigh that against their successes and he's clearly had many more successes than failures.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I guess vets can disagree, my husband is a retired marine who served two tours in Vietnam, he said he fought so that people would have the right to protest.
This Vet agrees with Yours

Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you are the subject of their reporting libel and slander is something very difficult to prove and even if you can prove it collecting any reward is very difficult. Lowering the bar on this would certainly make news organizations carefully consider publishing complete and utter BS.
Making it harder to criticize the rich and powerful? What an incredibly bad idea. We already have corporations trying to muzzle critics by tying them up in court.

Which reminds me, I'd like people to watch this. The video that Murray Coal feels we shouldn't have the right to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw6RsUhw1Q8&t=607s

Old 09-26-2017, 07:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
No one is denying anyone's right to protest - it's just WHEN and WHERE they protest - and who's paying to watch this fiasco when what they're paying to watch is football, not politics.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:24 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I got this in an email from a very good friend and I wasn't sure if it belonged in a political forum, but I'll try and I'll leave it up to City Data moderators to determine what to do with it. It's a reminder to all those over-paid professional athletes, who act like spoiled brats by refusing to stand up for the National Anthem. Let's remind them of those who fought, and many of whom made the ultimate sacrifice to defend the freedoms they tend to take for granted.

Take a little trip to Valley Forge in January. If you don't know where that is, just Google it from the sidelines. Hold a musket ball in your fingers and imagine it piercing your flesh and breaking a bone or two. There won't be a doctor or trainer to assist you until after the battle, so just wait your turn. Take your cleats and socks off to get a real experience. Then take a knee.

Then take one at the beach in Normandy where man after American man stormed the beach, even as the one in front of him was shot to pieces and the very sea stained with American blood. The only blockers most had were the dead bodies in front of them . . . riddled with bullets from enemy fire.

Take a knee in the sweat soaked jungles of Vietnam. from Khe San to Saigon . . . anywhere will do. REAL Americans died in all those jungles. There was no playbook that told them what was next, but they knew what flag they represented. When they came home, they were protested, as well as spit on for reasons only cowards know.

Take another knee in the blood drenched sands of Fallujah in 110 degree heat. Wear your Kevlar helmet and battle dress. Your number won't be printed on it unless your number is up! You'll need to stay hydrated but there won't be anyone to squirt Gatorade into your mouth. You're on your own.

There's a lot of places to take a knee. Real Americans have given their lives all over the world. When you use the banner under which they fought as a source for your displeasure, you dishonor the memories of those who bled for the very freedoms you have. That's what the red stripes mean. It represents the blood of those who spilled a sea of it defending your liberty.

While you are on your knee, pray for those that came before you, not on a manicured lawn striped and printed with numbers to announce every inch of ground taken . . . but on nameless hills and bloodied beaches and sweltering forests and bitter cold mountains . . . every inch marked by an American life lost serving that flag you protest.

No cheerleaders, no announcers, no coaches, no fans . . . just American men and women delivering the real fight against those who chose to harm us . . . blazing a path so you would have the right to "take a knee."

You have no inkling what it took to get you where you are; but your "protest" is duly noted. Not only is it disgraceful to a nation of real heroes, it serves the purpose of pointing to your ingratitude for those who chose to defend you under that banner that will still wave long after your jersey is issued to another.

If you really feel the need to take a knee . . . come with me to church on Sunday and we will both kneel before Almighty God. We'll thank Him for preserving this country for as long as He has. We will beg forgiveness for our ingratitude for all He has provided us. We will appeal to Him for understanding and wisdom. We will pray for liberty and justice for all . . . because He is the one who provides those things.

And there will be no protest. There will only be gratitude for His provision and a plea for His continued grace and mercy on the land of the free and the home of the brave. It goes like this . . .

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Give me an ever loving break please.

The reason these men and women fought, suffered and died was SO we could protest!!! SMH

Old 09-26-2017, 07:26 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Trump played soccer, basketball, baseball and tennis, but then his feet hurt too much to serve in the military. And he has the nerve to talk about people dying for the flag?

Donald Trump pictured in uniform as a cadet captain | Daily Mail Online
Judging by the picture, he played soldier as well. What a Walt.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Making it harder to criticize the rich and powerful?
You cannot be sued for libel or slander because you criticized someone. You can be sued for asserting facts that are not true. The bar to prove that is quite high and even if you can prove something was a lie proving damages is even more difficult.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:28 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
USA TODAY
Someone, please find Donald Trump a copy of the Constitution — preferably a simplified version with pictures and charts. Once he absorbs what it says, perhaps he will stop trying to tear it apart.
Poor little snowflakes, absolutely falling all over each other in their haste to announce that President Trump somehow violated somebody's rights, without even checking their own references that they insist others read.

I suggest that President Trump's understanding of the Constitution exceeds your own, by a significant margin. He probably knows, as you clearly do not, that the kneel-for-National Anthem kerfuffle has nothing to do with the 1st amendment. The 1st does not say, "Private companies and clubs shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech...". No, it says "Congress shall make no law....".

You do understand the difference, don't you? Perhaps, as somebody here said, you should get a simplified version of the Constitution with pictures and charts.

NFL owners can fine their players if they want to, for kneeling during the Anthem. Or they can refuse to fine them. Or they can praise them and pay them a bonus. Or they can even fire them. Or not fire them. Congress has nothing to do with it.

The people who wrote the 1st, meant it to be a ban on the Federal government only abridging free speech and other named rights. The 14th amendment later changed that, to extend the ban to all govts in the U.S. But even then, the ban did NOT extend to football team coaches, managers, or owners telling their players what or what not to say or do.

This thread is kinda funny. Here some bug-eyed liberal blowhard got worked up over some 1st amendment violation where none existed. And he got a bunch of equally wild-eyed drones to agree with him (never a difficult feat in LiberalLand)... none of whom even knew what the 1st says.

And the others also quickly hijacked their own thread, turning it into a typical I-Hate-Trump . With no more truth or honesty than the OP had.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-27-2017 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies