Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:37 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
There’s a weird culture that thinks professional athletes should be grateful to the owners, and not the other way around.

unless the athlete has the millions to buy and operate a NFL franchise and create thousands of jobs and make a profit then yeah athlete should be grateful to play in an exclusive workplace that pays lots of money and have tons of benefits.....if they don't like it, go work somewhere else that the employer doesn't depend on the public to make revenues and they can spill and shout their political agendas all they want.

it's not a right to play in the NFL, it's a privilage.

Athletes can be replaced anytime, they come and go,,,, a franchise or league isn't and you can't be insulting the majority of your customers by pushing your political agenda.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:39 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

Athletes can be replaced anytime, they come and go,,,, a franchise or league isn't and you can't be insulting the majority of your customers by pushing your political agenda.
This is sorta where I think a lot of people think. It seems to me like a very mainstream viewpoint.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:40 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
unless the athlete has the millions to buy and operate a NFL franchise and create thousands of jobs and make a profit then yeah athlete should be grateful to play in an exclusive workplace that pays lots of money and have tons of benefits.....if they don't like it, go work somewhere else that the employer doesn't depend on the public to make revenues and they can spill and shout their political agendas all they want.

Without the athletes, there is no business. No ones gonna pay $100 a seat to watch amateurs throw around a ball.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Trump has always had a problem with black men. He built his political career questioning the personal background of our first and only black president.

Birtherism was stupid, and one of the reasons I did not vote for Trump. But Birtherism did not necessarily have anything to do with race. It was about whether President Obama was born in a foreign country. Remember, birtherism had its genesis among supporters of Hillary Clinton, according to liberal writer Jon Avlon.

What is your evidence that Trump's dalliance w/ birtherism was predicated on racism?

Old 09-23-2017, 05:43 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
So should Hollywood be politically neutral but that is not the way it is and they still turn a profit. They both would have a problem if conservatives boycotted both but that is not going to happen.

Watch the next thing to happen Kaepernick will get picked up by an NFL team just as a swipe at Trump.
Pretty sure the NFL, networks and owners would like to do more than just turn a profit. And actors aren't making political statements for viewers to see right before each movie starts.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 09-23-2017 at 05:52 PM..

Old 09-23-2017, 05:47 PM

This is the ONLY country on earth that we let a few over-paid divas athletes disrespect our flag and national anthem in public and glorify it .....any other athlete in another country would be done, outcast and fired!

From Mexico, Japan, China to Australia, any part of the globe.

Imagine if a Mexican boxer kneels down every time he fights in primetime the Mexican National Anthem and the Mexican flag because he has "issues" with the Mexican police, not only he would be done professionally, he would need the national guard for protection to get back to his country and pack his things.

I have Mexicans friends. They all told me if a Mexican athlete did that to their flag and National Anthem just once , they are done. Imagine every week.

This is how much slack we give blacks and how much white guilt we have in this country...........any other group in this country would never get away with it.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:49 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not a trump guy didn't vote for him, but him saying what he did is fine with me. Sports are a business, these entitled self important whiney douchbags need to shut up and play the game. If I owned a team and some guy pulled this crap he'd be booted because my team is my business.

I go to work, I don't protest, I do my job and do my protesting on my dime, not on my employer's dime.

This stuff is just bad for business and I'm hearing that NFL viewership is down because of it. You can bet sure as hell bet that if the bottom line in terms of dollars and viewership gets affected they'll put in policies that say no protesting or things along those lines while on the field.

This seems like basic common sense to me.
Exactly, when you are in your capacity as a player representing your team, you leave your politics behind you.

That does not mean you cease to be a person with your own opinions. It means you should not be using your position as a football player on the team, to grandstand your own politics and social views.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:51 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
And you are the person who is being disingenuous. For those who missed it, here's exactly what Trump said:

"When people like yourselves turn on television and you see those people taking the knee when they are playing our great national anthem – the only thing you could do better is if you see it, even if it's one player, leave the stadium," Trump said. "I guarantee things will stop."

"People like yourselves" get to kick "those people" out of the stadium. How much more blunt can you be?

Trump is at it again. Making divisive statements at rallies and threatening those who exercise their right to free speech.

How many more cornerstones to democracy will Trump attack?

We have freedom of the press - Trump's bullying of reporters and making threats to CNN. Fake news!

We have freedom of religion - Trump's travel ban of those from Muslim countries.

We have freedom of speech - no black football players and their like-minded friends KNEELING in protest of racism.

On and on.

People "like yourself" should get a clue.
It's a SORRY poster does appear to be an example of either TROLL promoted by RUSSIANs or worse.. It's American's who suggest such raw HATE towards other human beings!! Yet same type will suggest Jihadists are hate filled!! SMH!! Always wanted to believe Post 60's that Americans had moved past such attitudes!! POTUS unleashed these types and THEY better accept it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There should be no question that Trump is a racist. His personal history is full of examples of it.
Just look back at the Trump heritage and how they treated others.. whether it was Blacks/Business folks.. Deny payments for services rendered.. then claim bankruptcy in order to DUPE them and claim losses!! What a loser!! HIS mouth actually demonstrates just who he is and how he thinks.. WHEN will the majority of Americans ( either party) realize just who sits in Oval office with Nuclear Coeds????

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Though I agreed with some of their policy I now appreciate the gentlemen that Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, and Obama were. Not one of them would engage in such talk or continuously engage in verbal wars with people over minor personal things. There are SO much bigger things the US president should worry about other than kneeling NFL players or Steph Curry refusing to attend the White House. I hope nothing bad happens with North Korea's nukes while Trump is too busy tweeting at some athlete.
Good luck with that wishful thinking.. NO POTUS has ever pushed Nuclear WAR possibility like Trump EVER!! It foretells millions of deaths of millions INCLUDING Americans!!! Childish name calling by POTUS is nothing more than a unhinged leader who doesn't give a damn ( HE has a bunker to go to/No other American has such protections !!) DJT looks after himself ( family and whomever in the moment deems useful) and whether it's sports figures or some foreign leader... LET THEM EA CAKE attitude!! We've all heard that phrase and know exactly what it means/indicates!! Anarchy of a unhinged leader who uses and abused their powers!!! Name being DJT that leads a Constitutional Government that his has done from day one undermined and praised ALL AUTHORITARIAN TYPES!!! Should be a wakeup call!! His trolls not so much

Old 09-23-2017, 05:52 PM

672 posts, read 810,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
If you truly believe that anyone (even "relatively wealthy conservatives and their children") is going to give up watching sports to stand in solidarity with the clown-in-chief, there is a bridge in Brooklyn....

Sports is way more popular than Trump and is the biggest type of entertainment there is in the country.

If anyone should be neutral and keep his big mouth out of sports, it is the so-called president.
Actually, It's the players and the owners that really should watch it.

Who do you think pays their salaries?

Quote:
Of people who identified themselves as part of the NFL fan base 83 percent were white, 64 percent were male, 51 percent were 45 years or older, only 32 percent made less than $60,000 a year, and, to finish the point, registered Republicans were 21 percent more likely to be NFL fans than registered Democrats. Another factoid: NFL fans were 59 percent more likely than the average American to have played golf in the last year.
NFL: Last sports bastion of white, male conservatives

Quote:
By and large, most NFL fans pull the lever for Republicans more often than they say they do—including most fans of "Democratic" teams. In fact, the fan bases of 23 teams show a propensity to vote more Republican than they claim, versus only six teams' fans who vote more Democratic:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...atic-fan-bases

The kneeling is a issue for the majority that watch and go to games. If the majority is conservative and looks down on that kind of activity, Who do you think they are going to be more sympathetic to?

The media would say no of course.

As ESPN has gone political their viewership is dropping.

Regardless of what you think of Trump, he is playing to his base. His base also makes up a large portion of viewership.

It's a good move for him. Don't let your own views and bias interfere with what is actually taking place.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Without the athletes, there is no business. No ones gonna pay $100 a seat to watch amateurs throw around a ball.

The NFL makes the athletes.....they take them from college and put them in the system and grinds them to the NFL standards and to promote a product and either they make the cut or they don't....any athlete can be replaced at anytime. No athlete is bigger than the NFL. There are many college players and the bench waiting to take your spot in the NFL to make the roster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies