Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 04:33 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
We still doing football? Papa John's ain't happy, and they have a lot of money invested in the NFL.

From Nation's Restaurant News -

"NFL ratings are down this season. That’s bad news for the league’s sponsors — including Papa John’s International Inc.

These companies are apparently not taking the slide sitting down. The Louisville-based pizza delivery chain was among a number of NFL sponsors to complain to the league about the state of viewership, according to the New York Business Journal.

According to the publication, Papa John’s told the league that pizza sales during NFL games have fallen since Sept. 22. That’s when President Donald Trump criticized players kneeling during the national anthem as a form of protest."

Papa John
Thank you. I just used their online form to share my opinion with them.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Go read the Facebook comments once in a while when there is an incident - if said incident even gets covered. A lot of times when a white is wrongly gunned down by a cop it doesn't get NEARLY as much national coverage as when the reverse (white-on-black) is the case.
Of course but like that one in metro Phoenix, most are justified by waving guns at police. Similar to Tamir Rice who waved a BB gun. Sadly, the police realized it was a toy too little too late for Tamir...

Old 10-30-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Hard to believe, but....

From The Hollywood Reporter -

​"In a span of less than five years, industry giant ESPN has seen its narrative transformed from that of a mighty colossus into the hard-luck tale of a ragtag warrior.

As it struggles to regain heretofore heroic heights — levels of growth that are probably no longer attainable — ESPN has had to endure a slew of significant workforce layoffs (with more reportedly on the way) and a once-doting Wall Street that has turned a skeptically cold shoulder. Astonishing increases in earnings, previously viewed as faits acomplis, now seem like fantasies from another world, thanks to the now-familiar combo of cord-cutting and burgeoning rights fees.

​With so much of ESPN’s universe asunder, it’s not outlandish now to entertain a previously unthinkable prospect: Might ESPN elect to go without rights to NFL games after the expiration of its eight-year deal for Monday Night Football in 2021?!"

Why ESPN Could Abandon NFL Football (Guest Column) | Hollywood Reporter
First off, I don't buy it until I hear it from ESPN. Second off, ESPN isn't doing that great with Monday Night Football, so if anything they will end MNF. though I don't think ABC would be any better off at this point. Third, I think the Thursday night game is more at risk since people don't watch Thursday football besides Thanksgiving and maybe week one.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Of course but like that one in metro Phoenix, most are justified by waving guns at police. Similar to Tamir Rice who waved a BB gun. Sadly, the police realized it was a toy too little too late for Tamir...
IMHO, the police response was horrible in that situation.

Why go sliding up in the car right next to him causing a slit second reaction?

They should have stopped 50 yards away and used the car PA to give him orders while other cars set up a perimeter.

Yes, I know it's easy to Monday morning quarterback, but in that specific circumstance, it just seems like the cops did a **** poor job.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
IMHO, the police response was horrible in that situation.

Why go sliding up in the car right next to him causing a slit second reaction?

They should have stopped 50 yards away and used the car PA to give him orders while other cars set up a perimeter.

Yes, I know it's easy to Monday morning quarterback, but in that specific circumstance, it just seems like the cops did a **** poor job.
Pedro, we agree there. What I was showing though is that there are cases where blacks and whites have the same issue and the same result happens. The Phoenix case wasn't as simple as the police shot the man cold without a warning like Tamir, they tried but still there was backlash to it. It was a white guy and it only really got local play. Why, because most of us saw what happened and agreed that you flash a gun at a cop and don't follow orders, you get shot. There have been cases of law abiding black people getting attacked by police if not shot.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:53 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
No he didn't. Why the need to lie?

Old 10-30-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No he didn't. Why the need to lie?
Tamir had his BB gun still out after dragging it from his pants, are you dense?

Old 10-30-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Tamir had his BB gun still out after dragging it from his pants, are you dense?
You said he was waving it around. He barely if it all got it out of his pants but go ahead, call me names. It's how it goes.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You said he was waving it around. He barely if it all got it out of his pants but go ahead, call me names. It's how it goes.
He did also before cops got there by accounts too. You are picking facts. Listen I agree that many cases like Garner are bad, but some aren't bad clear cut. I do agree the cops screwed up and deserved to be fired. The issue is that I don't have as much of a problem with the shooting since the gun was modified to remove the cap that is a tell it is a fake, I have a problem with where the police stopped in front of Rice.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
He did also before cops got there by accounts too. You are picking facts. Listen I agree that many cases like Garner are bad, but some aren't bad clear cut. I do agree the cops screwed up and deserved to be fired. The issue is that I don't have as much of a problem with the shooting since the gun was modified to remove the cap that is a tell it is a fake, I have a problem with where the police stopped in front of Rice.
The gun was just the same as many of those many of us played with as kids. Those who called it in noted it was most likely a toy.

The most important fact is that the officer had zero business being one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.